CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Ceramic coating stock exhaust manifolds (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2995690-ceramic-coating-stock-exhaust-manifolds.html)

DRC 02-05-2012 07:22 AM

Ceramic coating stock exhaust manifolds

For the sake of appearance and maybe increasing exhaust flow somewhat I am considering having my stock exhaust manifolds ceramic coated, inside & outside) in cast gray. 69 L-68.

Has anyone done this? And no, I do not want headers.

DIP51 02-05-2012 08:58 AM

I had a '68 small block about 15 years ago, and when I re-built the engine Jet-Hot did the manifolds.

I only did it for looks, but they claim reduced under hood temps and stuff. (blah, blah, blah)

They did look nice!!! Not sure about any of the other claims??

They had a color that was supposed to be original looking, and they were sharp...don't remember what they called it, but that is what I went with. Sure does beat a rattle can of heat paint!!!!! :cheers:

1974ta 02-05-2012 09:00 AM

I used Jet Hot Coating. They have a gray that looks great.

Bill

mbeeman350 02-05-2012 10:00 AM

The cast gray would be a good choice.
I did mine in the silver header color. Been 6 years and still look like new. Also did the fan blade. Sticks better than paint and cleans up with ease

LancePearson 02-05-2012 10:21 AM

I just have the cast iron original style ram's horns on my L48 and am wondering if since I haven't done anything with heads, intake, cam or roller tappets, etc. it would be of any benefit to take those cast iron heads off and simply polish them highly inside, round off any sharp edges to encourage smootehr air flow. I think in heads they call it "porting" them but don't know much about all of this. The whole idea of headers seems to me to be bent individual tubes out of each exhaust hole back to the mufflers.

Anyone done something like this just to the exhaust manifolds?

If so, does it make any difference at all or does it have to be done with all of it?

Thanks.

Lance P.

terry82 02-05-2012 10:30 AM

porting out and smoothing the inside of the factory exhaust manifold is what the oval track guys do .yes it does help alot .look inside and you will see how rough it is .the ceramic coating should help with the heat .

7t9l82 02-05-2012 10:36 AM

extrude hone them

DRC 02-05-2012 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by terry82 (Post 1579927508)
porting out and smoothing the inside of the factory exhaust manifold is what the oval track guys do .yes it does help alot .look inside and you will see how rough it is .the ceramic coating should help with the heat .

Getting the ceramic coating on the inside also smooths the interior surface.

Vette5.5 02-05-2012 11:09 AM

Jet-Hot can take care of you, as have some long tube's they did inside/out, that seem like they'll last forever. They prep/sandblast everything before coating. Some here, also like Swain Tech coatings, as have some high tech stuff. Their web site shows coated cylinder head chambers and piston tops. Maybe worth checking into.

boat196 02-06-2012 11:53 AM

Jet Hot currently has my manifolds, I used their cast iron color. I also had the manifolds ported.

Bob

DRC 02-06-2012 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by boat196 (Post 1579937107)
Jet Hot currently has my manifolds, I used their cast iron color. I also had the manifolds ported.

Bob

Great, can you give us an update when you get them back?