CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Question about Traction Control functions (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3051734-question-about-traction-control-functions.html)

Mach2 05-04-2012 10:27 AM

Question about Traction Control functions

I have a 2010 C6Coupe, MN6. Can you push the Traction Control button to deselect Traction Control and/or select Competitive Mode while at speed or do you have to wait till you are stopped to select these functions?

Page 5-7 of the 2010 Owners Manual states "The system can be turned on or off at any time by pressing the ACTIVE HANDLING button." That sounds like you can depress the button at speeds, but just wanted to ask Forum members if you push the Traction Control button at speeds or wait till you are stopped.

Larry/car 05-04-2012 10:35 AM

Turn off and on at will, no need to stop.

BEZ06 05-04-2012 10:40 AM

Like the book says - "any time" will work!!:thumbs:
  • Default at start is TC and AH on

• One push of the button and you get TC off

• Two pushes of the button and you'll have TC off and AH in Comp mode (AH still on, but it won't intervene as early - it will let you drive more aggressively before it activates)

• Push and hold the button for more than 5 seconds and TC will be off and AH will be completely off.

I've gone out onto the track with everything full on, and while running the session have been able to push the button twice to go into Comp mode.

Bob :flag:

Mach2 05-04-2012 11:55 AM

Thanks Larry/car & BEZ06. :thumbs: :cheers: :flag:

jon6.0 05-04-2012 01:06 PM

Switch anytime. Everything on for normal street driving and Competion Mode for spirited driving/track is how I use it.

Cavi 05-21-2012 12:17 PM

that clarifies my issue, yesterday I went to my autox event and turned off the TC, (one push of the button) but was shocked when half way through the run the AH came on even though the TC was off. I logically assumed that when I turned off the TC, that all nanies were off. Now at least i know what I did wrong......Learning curve...

goatts 05-21-2012 01:02 PM

Always leave everything on for street driving. Don't put in comp mode which reduces AH. AH will prevent you from spinning in circles if you lose traction. It's good to avoid spinning in circles on public roads.

Push it to the limit at your next autox with AH on and off and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I have found little difference with TC on or off.

Cavi 05-21-2012 02:08 PM

I am talking strictly about turning off all the nanies for autox, not for the road. you are not suggesting leaving the AH on for the autox are you?

Larry/car 05-21-2012 03:38 PM

The other night I wanted to spin the tires and turned traction control off. The outside air temperature was in the 80 degree area and the payment had to be 90+ degrees. I added power rapidly and to my surprise the GY tires hooked up and even though I hit full throttle the tires did not spin, acceleration was supper. Probably the fastest acceleration the car ever performed. Too bad it wasn't timed.

06 C6 vert 05-21-2012 06:49 PM

You can change it on the fly but I dont suggest using C mode on the Street at all. C mode detunes throttle response for smoother consistent track events. Not what you want on the street.

TC off for the street can come in handy when needed.

Best to leave all nannies on when driving on the St. IMO.

yeller z06 05-22-2012 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by goatts (Post 1580870669)
Always leave everything on for street driving. Don't put in comp mode which reduces AH. AH will prevent you from spinning in circles if you lose traction.

Nothing can prevent stupidity.

That said, it's still wise to leave it on for street driving and novice track events.

goatts 05-23-2012 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cavi (Post 1580871261)
I am talking strictly about turning off all the nanies for autox, not for the road. you are not suggesting leaving the AH on for the autox are you?

If you're new at autox it's instructive to run a few laps with it on and then turn it off so you can see the difference. Other than that, leave everything off.

Cavi 05-23-2012 12:44 PM

Not new to autox, been doing it for 2 yrs now, just the vette is new for me, before I ran a 87 BMW then a 94 corvette C4

Bill Dearborn 05-23-2012 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 06 C6 vert (Post 1580873620)
You can change it on the fly but I dont suggest using C mode on the Street at all. C mode detunes throttle response for smoother consistent track events. Not what you want on the street.

TC off for the street can come in handy when needed.

Best to leave all nannies on when driving on the St. IMO.

Competition Mode doesn't do anything to the tune of the car. Besides why would you want a detuned throttle response on the track and a highly tuned response on the street where it is more dangerous to have it that way?

The AH function has a dead band where it doesn't respond to inputs because the car speed is slow, etc. Competition Mode just increases the size of the dead band so the system doesn't react as soon.

Bill

Voytek 05-23-2012 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Larry/car (Post 1580872068)
The other night I wanted to spin the tires and turned traction control off. The outside air temperature was in the 80 degree area and the payment had to be 90+ degrees. I added power rapidly and to my surprise the GY tires hooked up and even though I hit full throttle the tires did not spin, acceleration was supper. Probably the fastest acceleration the car ever performed. Too bad it wasn't timed.

You're doing it wrong ;)

Nice Ride 05-23-2012 02:59 PM

Be careful. You let the beast out of the cage when you turn that system off. That little button will pull your bacon out of a hot fire but of course it has to be activated to do that.

goatts 05-23-2012 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cavi (Post 1580888869)
Not new to autox, been doing it for 2 yrs now, just the vette is new for me, before I ran a 87 BMW then a 94 corvette C4

I ran for about a year before I got up enough nerve to turn it off. After that I spun in circles quite a few times. Spun off the runway into the grass one time and filled my car with sand. We get over 100mph in straight sections and maybe 60 on turns so it can be interesting when you break loose. I've gotten a little better now. Not much but a little.

LED FT 05-23-2012 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by BEZ06 (Post 1580726477)
Like the book says - "any time" will work!!:thumbs:
  • Default at start is TC and AH on

• One push of the button and you get TC off

• Two pushes of the button and you'll have TC off and AH in Comp mode (AH still on, but it won't intervene as early - it will let you drive more aggressively before it activates)

• Push and hold the button for more than 5 seconds and TC will be off and AH will be completely off.

I've gone out onto the track with everything full on, and while running the session have been able to push the button twice to go into Comp mode.

Bob :flag:

I'm new to Vettes too, so can you turn just the AH off and keep the TC on?

goatts 05-24-2012 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by LED FT (Post 1580894274)
I'm new to Vettes too, so can you turn just the AH off and keep the TC on?

No but why on earth would you want to do that?