CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Ken's Newsletters (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/ken-s-newsletters-71/)
-   -   Matick Chevy Sponsors Corvette in Grand AM Detroit 200 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/ken-s-newsletters/3066805-matick-chevy-sponsors-corvette-in-grand-am-detroit-200-a.html)

MatickChevyAnna 05-30-2012 08:46 AM

Matick Chevy Sponsors Corvette in Grand AM Detroit 200

4 Attachment(s)
George Matick Chevrolet in Detroit Sponsors Michigan Corvette
Driver in the June 2 Chevrolet Grand AM Detroit 200 Race

Detroit, MI – George Matick Chevrolet and veteran Corvette racecar driver Jeff Nowicki of Birmingham, Michigan, will team up to compete in the June 2 Chevrolet Grand AM Detroit 200 on Belle Isle.

The Rolex Sports Car Series Chevrolet Grand AM Detroit 200 is part of an action-packed Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix weekend June 1-3. This is the first time the Series has raced in Detroit. It will be broadcast live internationally 5-7:30 p.m. on the motorsports Speed network.

Nowicki will be driving the #46 red Corvette for the Michael Baughman Racing (Team MBR). This is a debut performance for Team MBR with title sponsor George Matick Chevrolet, one of Michigan’s top Corvette dealers. It also is Matick's first foray into a motorsports sponsorship.

“When Jeff (Nowicki) and his team shared with us a partnership idea, it clicked immediately,” says Matick owner Karl Zimmermann. His dealership features Michigan’s largest indoor new-car showroom with more than 100 vehicles parked inside, including 20 or more Corvettes on display at any time. It also is Michigan’s exclusive dealer for Callaway Corvettes and Callaway’s expanding line-up of super-charged, “powerfully engineered” Chevy cars and sports trucks.

“As we’re moving into the 60th anniversary of the Corvette in 2013, this is a most exciting race,” says Zimmermann. “The Corvette is the iconic vehicle for Chevrolet and our entire Matick team can’t wait to race on Saturday. We’re ranked in the top one percent nationally of Chevy dealers for new car sales and look to transfer that success to the race track.”

“Sponsoring the #46 Corvette with Team MBR beats being a sign on the wall … it puts Matick Chevrolet down on the field as a player in the game,” adds Zimmermann. “I became involved in racing a Corvette last year. That experience committed me to racing as a means to demonstrate both the incredible capabilities of the Corvette and Matick’s commitment to our ever-growing list of Corvette customers. This is a perfect fit to help strengthen our Corvette program, including our Corvette blog, and give it exposure at a national level."

Nowicki and his driving partner, Michael Baughman, will drive a 2007 Katech-powered Corvette C6 in the highly competitive GT division. Managed by Baughman, who brings 30 years of motorsports experience, both as an owner and driver, the team has competed in Grand AM since the Series' inception.

“I’m excited to race on Belle Isle because this is my hometown,” says Nowicki. “The Corvette was virtually born in the Motor City,” adds Nowicki, who grew up amid a car-culture environment (his father is a retired engineer who worked for General Motors at the Tech Center in Warren, MI). “For years, my dad would take me to the design studio and I was always in awe of the Corvette’s design. The Corvette really is America’s sports car.”

“It’s a world-class sports car,” he adds. “The classic lines lend efficient aero-dynamics and minimal drag. It’s a great platform from which to build a racecar and has won a lot of championships. The engineers have done a great job taking the Corvette to the next level.”

Drivers Nowicki and Baughman (of Maryland) will maneuver the “Victory Red Corvette” around the winding 2.1-mile Belle Isle road course. Other sponsors for Team MBR include ITS, Dynamat, Hub Garage, Mobil 1, SKF and DEI.

Key Matick Chevy/MBR Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix Schedule

Thursday, May 31 Morning Matick/MBR #46 racecar unloading on Belle Isle
Friday, June 1 8:35-10:05 a.m. and 1:20-1:50 p.m. #46 on-track practice
5:25-5:40 p.m. Matick/MBR #46 Rolex Series GT qualifying
Saturday, June 2 8 a.m. Corvette Caravan leaves Matick Chevy for Belle Isle
11-11:30 a.m. Final Rolex Series Practice
1-2 p.m. Nowicki/Baughman Driver Autograph Session
5:05 p.m. Chevrolet Grand AM Detroit 200 (two-hour race)

George Matick Chevrolet
14001 Telegraph Road
Redford Township, MI 48239
www.matickchevy.com
www.facebook.com/matickchevy
www.corvetteblog.com