CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Guy Loses Three Corvettes in Garage Fire (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/3078127-guy-loses-three-corvettes-in-garage-fire.html)

CF Editor 06-18-2012 04:33 PM

Guy Loses Three Corvettes in Garage Fire

Read about it here: Guy Loses Three Corvettes in Garage Fire

I feel bad for the guy. He lost a restored '66 Sting Ray, a C3, and a 1991 Corvette. Still with all that hardware, he must've been doing pretty good before the fire. Just bad luck for it all to go up like that.

Z51JEFF 06-18-2012 06:50 PM

That white 91 was a ZR-1.

93Rubie 06-18-2012 06:53 PM

NOW, that is a bad day. Sheesh.:willy:
He probably had insurance. A car you've had for 40+ years is not just a car, its a part of you.

desertmike1 06-18-2012 07:06 PM

:sadangel::sadangel::sadangel:

A sad day indeed...

383vett 06-18-2012 07:07 PM

Tough loss. At least no one died or was hurt. :ack:

6spdg37s 06-18-2012 07:16 PM

wow that sucks i feel bad for him ! at least know one got hurt tho !

BSenzina 06-18-2012 08:09 PM

I PRAY HE WAS INSURED ! ! ! :cool:

mrmtrtrnd 06-18-2012 08:53 PM

That would be heart breaking. I can't even imagine how sick I'd feel to watch that. :sad:

cv67 06-18-2012 09:32 PM

Read about a few over the yrs...many toys and NO insurance cause they werent driven. Stupid.

Hope he gets a decent payout to find some replacements.
Keep that insurance up to date! You never know what can happen

Klondike 06-18-2012 09:42 PM

Curious; Will home owner insurance cover anything on uninsured cars that are stored inside the garage? I know it covers contents but what about vehicles.

AaronDoud 06-18-2012 10:34 PM

I don't care if you don't drive it if it has serious value which corvettes do you have insurance on it.

I'm sure he did but money doesn't replace that kind of loss.

Ratbagsmg 06-18-2012 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by AaronDoud (Post 1581105969)
I don't care if you don't drive it if it has serious value which corvettes do you have insurance on it.

I'm sure he did but money doesn't replace that kind of loss.

:iagree: Collector Car insurance is not that much considering. If you can't afford to insure them then you need to rethink having them. I feel very bad for the fellow. He had owned the '66 since 1968. I have a little MGA roadster I've owned since '77. It's part of the family.

vettebuyer6369 06-19-2012 01:58 AM

He's been deeply involved with the local Corvette club as long as I can remember. Super nice guy, total Corvette through and through.

Probably the worst guy for this to happen to. He buys something and keeps it... forever. I like my cars but sell them after awhile and rarely get attached. These were his family, as was a lot of the momentos. Very sad.

~Stingray 06-19-2012 08:43 AM

Does anyone know what caused the fire?

ED77KATR 06-19-2012 08:50 AM

Hopefully all will workout for him.. I remember a video of Reggie Jackson with tears running down his face as he watched his warehouse full of [nearly 100 cars] HEMI muscle cars,Many Corvettes,LS6 Chevelles.3 brand new never driven Classic Camaros... Burning to the Ground in Calif. Wildfires about 10 years ago. Here was a wealthy man,but you could see the passion he had for his cars in his eyes...:salute::sadangel:

wolklp 06-19-2012 11:17 AM

:cry:cry:cry This is the worst thing that could happen to an enthusiast. the only bright spot is doing it over gives you a chance not to make the same mistakes you made the first time. That is after you pry your soul out of the fetal position.

Robbo 06-19-2012 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Klondike (Post 1581105521)
Curious; Will home owner insurance cover anything on uninsured cars that are stored inside the garage? I know it covers contents but what about vehicles.

NO! How do I know this? I THOUGHT that's how it worked... until this happened.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...O/DSC02118.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...O/DSC02915.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/Robb-O/Cars2.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...O/DSC02873.jpg

I thought since I didn't drive the 68 (was starting a restoration on it) that if anything happened while it was in the house, homeowners would cover it... so I only had liability insurance on it. Oops....

As someone said above... fortunately no one was hurt. The 68 had been in my family since new and I remember riding around in it with my father who died when I was five. I was feeling very sorry for myself while standing in the garage looking at the rubble (there was a headlight sitting there that really set off my mood...) then suddenly I realized it was 3 days after the fire and I thought "3 days... we could be having a funeral right about now" and I realized my family was safe and unharmed... and that's all that really mattered...

:cheers:

KRPTONT 06-19-2012 11:44 AM

First and foremost thank you to the CF editor who started this thread. My name is Shannon Davis I am the President of the Central Illinois Corvette Club. Where John is my Govenor and has been for over 20 years. I got the call Friday morning about what happened at 610a and left work at 1230p on Friday to go to Staunton which is an hour away. where John lives. Several other member went also. It was a very devastating site to see. Me and another younger member we both had tears in our eyes looking at what was the most horrific site a person could see knowing how John is about cars. John simply has lost everything. He does not even have a daily driver. Everything is a total loss. Several cars, trucks, hotrods, waverunners, motorcycle and tons of other memoribilia. All is lost. Nobody was hurt but he feels completely lost. He had 45 years of his life in those garages. He feels that he has" lost everything" an if fact he has but, he has his life and he has a tremendous amount of support around him right now. He does have insurance but I will not disclose his personal business. But all I will say is State Farm. John is a racer in the NCCC MidWest region and the NCCC Midwest Govenor. Please all keep him in your prayers and hope for the best for him!! Thank you all so much.

Shannon Davis CICC President

SdJsbGrandSport@yahoo.com

KevinG 06-19-2012 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by ED77KATR (Post 1581107782)
I remember a video of Reggie Jackson with tears running down his face as he watched his warehouse full of [nearly 100 cars] HEMI muscle cars,Many Corvettes,LS6 Chevelles.3 brand new never driven Classic Camaros... Burning to the Ground in Calif. Wildfires about 10 years ago.

Reggie Jackson lost his warehouse due to spontaneous combustion from lindseed oil soaked rags in his warehouse that went up in flames.

Captain Richard 06-19-2012 03:40 PM

Collect insurance payout, buy ZR1. It will ease the pain.