CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Best Performance Add for C6 6 speed LS3 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3112035-best-performance-add-for-c6-6-speed-ls3.html)

ToolManTim 08-15-2012 11:11 PM

Best Performance Add for C6 6 speed LS3

I'm thinking about a few power adders for my 08 C6 LS3 6 spd....
It have Corsa Exhaust and a Cold air Intake...

Im thinking of a downloader ....But Am looking for the best bang for the Buck

Any advice would be appreciated !

Nyvetteguy007 08-15-2012 11:35 PM

Love my MGW short shifter...

And a Tune by Chuck Cow is always fun....

ToolManTim 08-15-2012 11:44 PM

Sorry im New too the tune thing, Chuck Cow ??

Nyvetteguy007 08-16-2012 12:00 AM

Chuck from Corvettes of Westchester here in NY..

He travels the country (the world) tuning Vettes etc...

Here's some info on what he does:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...g-24-26-a.html

ToolManTim 08-16-2012 02:42 AM

Would you recommend a tune over a downloader ?

Gering 08-16-2012 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by ToolManTim (Post 1581582522)
Would you recommend a tune over a downloader ?

Keep in mind that if you have a warranty it may be denied or declined due to the tune. A dyno tune in my area is about $500.00 What state are you in?

Nyvetteguy007 08-16-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Gering (Post 1581582727)
Keep in mind that if you have a warranty it may be denied for declined due to the tune. A dyno tune in my area is about $500.00 What state are you in?

As Gering stated the only caveat is it may void your factory warranty...IMO a tune by someone who specializes in tuning cars and has years of experience is better than a Diablo or the like....

ToolManTim 08-16-2012 08:38 AM

Im In NE Iowa, I have Heard that Doug Rippie In Minneapolis is really good....I just wasn
t sure which would be the best...Downloader or tune.
The Only Mods to the Car are Corsa Exhaust and a Cold Air Intake...
What type of gains can I exspect from a "tune" ? Is it worth the $

Anthony @ LGMotorsports 08-16-2012 09:13 AM

When you say performance....

HP? TQ? Acceleration figures? Grip? Braking?

There are a number of ways to get better performance from the car, just depends on which direction you want to go.

Best easy installs and bang for the buck...

Brakes
-stainless lines and better pads

Handling
-shocks and sway bars

Grip
-Tires

HP
-Nitrous (NA Headers/CAI/Tune)

TQ
-Headers/Tune

nullpointer 08-16-2012 11:09 AM

If you get a tune make sure its a dyno tune with AFR logging

Kenny94945 08-16-2012 01:42 PM

Speed/ acceration.

I like the shifter upgrade mentioned above.

Acceration = My vote would be tires = traction.

Speed = I vote long tube headers

Lap times = Alignment and tires. Then adjustable shocks.

molsonc6 08-16-2012 02:44 PM

Just added the MGW short throw shifter to my C6, best money I've spent so far.

SteveDoten 08-16-2012 03:30 PM

If you'd like a 40-50whp PLUS increase for <$1000 in parts.........CAM SWAP.

Nothing beats it if you can do your own install and tune.

N20 requiring frequent bottle fills.

Chuck CoW 08-16-2012 04:51 PM

Thank you....and Don't forget the amazing CoW BOOSTER!

Originally Posted by bkazepis (Post 1581581968)
Chuck from Corvettes of Westchester here in NY..

He travels the country (the world) tuning Vettes etc...

Here's some info on what he does:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...g-24-26-a.html

Thank you....and Don't forget the amazing CoW BOOSTER!

http://www.corvettes-of-westchester....TER%20LOGO.jpg

Stop by CoWlisle 2012 for discounts on CoW BOOSTER and Chuck CoW TUNES!

Chuck CoW

bluekey28 08-16-2012 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by ToolManTim (Post 1581583276)
Im In NE Iowa, I have Heard that Doug Rippie In Minneapolis is really good....I just wasn
t sure which would be the best...Downloader or tune.
The Only Mods to the Car are Corsa Exhaust and a Cold Air Intake...
What type of gains can I exspect from a "tune" ? Is it worth the $

I have dealt with Doug & Randy Rippie from DRM this summer. Did a cam package & dyno tune on my '08 LS3 base coupe. Definitely worth a phone call to discuss your options. Do your homework & you will be happier with your decision & results.

jpee 08-16-2012 08:57 PM

I haven't seen Cartek, or ECS mentioned here... I would venture to say both of them have as much experience & know how as CoW if not MORE!...

I can say that because I'm at a drag strip (E Town, Lebanon Vally, or Maple Grove,, or Island almost every other week, and can honestly say 90% + are tuned by ECS or CARTEK... I am NOT knocking CoW ... but wonder "WHY" most "Hard Core Racers", use those two shops..

On the other hand, when I go to car shows or Cruise Nights up here in Cow country (Westchester County, or Putnam County I see a lot of CoW cars At "CAR SHOWS" but NOT AT THE RACE TRACK ???

Maybe some of the people who have had a CoW tune can chime in...Puleeeeeeezz don't give me that SOP (Seat of The Pants) I know the "Booster" gives you a kick in the Azz at 1/3 throttle, but I'd like to see 1/4 mile ET and MPH improvements...

Just asking ?? :cheers:

Chuck CoW 08-19-2012 09:41 AM

Back to the question at hand.....

I am NOT knocking CoW ... but wonder "WHY" most "Hard Core Racers", use those two shops..

You may not realize, but.... If you're into "Hard Core Racing", as a CORVETTE OWNER

then you have just shoe-horned yourself into a population of only the smallest fraction

of 1% of overall Corvette ownership or possibly less. In other words, YOU'RE A MINORITY

in this game. My business model concentrates on the 99+% of the rest of the corvette population.

If you're into "HARD CORE RACING", then you might want to go to a "RACING" shop....

But if you're more into enjoying your car and knowing that it runs flawlessly, and you just want

it to be the most fun it can be.......Then come to me.:D

In either case, what is it about "HARD CORE RACING" that qualifies one as a better tuner....?

Probably not much...

Best Performance Add for C6 6 speed LS3 ???

I'm thinking about a few power adders for my 08 C6 LS3 6 spd....
It have Corsa Exhaust and a Cold air Intake...

Im thinking of a downloader ....But Am looking for the best bang for the Buck

Any advice would be appreciated !
There is NO BETTER bang for the buck than CoW BOOSTER!

Chuck CoW

Joe_G 08-19-2012 10:52 AM

I overlaid the dyno results of all my mods on the sheet below.

As you can see, only headers (with a tune) mattered below 4500 RPM. The other mods, cam, FAST intake, heads, only mattered above 4500 RPM.

The other mod that matters below 4500 RPM is a set of 4.10 gears. They make the car feel like it lost 500 lbs because you are giving the engine a longer lever to work with.

So based on my experience, I recommend headers and a tune, then if you want more, get 4.10 gears.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...hStepnoAFR.jpg

Chuck CoW 08-20-2012 11:02 AM

I agree wit Joe G.....

Originally Posted by Joe_G (Post 1581608937)
I overlaid the dyno results of all my mods on the sheet below.

As you can see, only headers (with a tune) mattered below 4500 RPM. The other mods, cam, FAST intake, heads, only mattered above 4500 RPM.

The other mod that matters below 4500 RPM is a set of 4.10 gears. They make the car feel like it lost 500 lbs because you are giving the engine a longer lever to work with.

So based on my experience, I recommend headers and a tune, then if you want more, get 4.10 gears.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...hStepnoAFR.jpg

And if you like your car feeling that way, then adding CoW BOOSTER! to the mix

will make it feel like you added ANOTHER SET OF 4.10s, ANOTHER SET OF HEADERS, and a SHOT OF N2O

in the bottom end and mid range!:willy:

Who wouldn't like their car to feel like that!?!?!

CoW BOOSTER!
Chuck CoW

DOUG @ ECS 08-20-2012 12:01 PM

OP, feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss your options. 609-752-0321

I would recommend starting with our stg 1 package which consists of American Racing headers, a Vararam intake, 160 stat and a tune. We can supply you with the parts necessary and tune via mail order our a hand held In Tune programmer if you are not local.

As far as the racing discussion goes, yes probably 1% of Corvette owners race their vehicles, however it is my opinion that the shops that race regularly and have thousands of track passes or road course data logs have the advantage when it comes to tuning your performance street machine.

Just like on Wall st, it's the 1%'rs that pave the way for the others to follow. :thumbs: