CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Fast N' Loud (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3140710-fast-n-loud.html)

ditchdigger650 10-02-2012 10:06 AM

Fast N' Loud

Hi Folks. Any of you see the 1967 Lynndale Blue 427-435 coupe the guy bought on fast n' loud last night on the discovery channel. He paid 25k for it, what a deal, it had the tank sticker protecto plate. Then he sold it to his friend for 35k. Had original paint, rally wheels. I would have bought that in a heart beat for that price.

KC John 10-02-2012 10:11 AM

Not sure I believe it. I think a lot of that show is just for entertainment purposes and they tell you what they want you to hear.

That car they did a few weeks ago that was one of only 9 in the world was sold on the show, and then someone posted that it was for sale on eBay. I don't believe any of it.

They buy the cars too cheap and sell them for more than they should be able to get for them. It's all scripted in my opinion.

APV 10-02-2012 10:15 AM

Fast and Loud

I saw it and could not believe the bought and sold prices. I think we'll see this car again.
Al

vintagecorvette 10-02-2012 10:19 AM

They never showed the so called 435hp 427. They only showed the tank sticker from a distance.

The did show a quick shot of the interior and it has an aftermarket steering wheel and A/C vent. It might have been a small block car with BB hood.

Chrisintampa 10-02-2012 10:24 AM

I saw that last night

i was watching and assumed it had a 350 with BB hood. When he whipped out the tank sticker an POP and then scored it for 25k i told my wife there was NO WAY he bought that much.

she thought i was crazy. i looked at her and said if it is what they say it is its worth 45, and almost immediately, they guy they flipped it to said - "i would have paid 45".

wife just looked at me and started laughing.

APV 10-02-2012 10:29 AM

Fast and Loud

Someone needs to be called out on this deal.
Al

Vette Daddy 10-02-2012 10:33 AM

I'm tired of all these reality shows where the buyers feel that they should always get something for a steal. Yeah, yeah, I know....they need to make money. :ack::lol:

Johns66 10-02-2012 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette (Post 1581974768)
They never showed the so called 435hp 427. They only showed the tank sticker from a distance.

The did show a quick shot of the interior and it has an aftermarket steering wheel and A/C vent. It might have been a small block car with BB hood.

They had a quick shot of the engine compartment and it was a small block.

John

ditchdigger650 10-02-2012 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Johns66 (Post 1581974945)
They had a quick shot of the engine compartment and it was a small block.

John

I thought so. They did'nt elaborate it still had the original motor. That's entertainment.

Frankie the Fink 10-02-2012 11:07 AM

On the other hand the hacked up, piecemeal '41 Willys race car they flipped on the show went way high IMO. That thing had enough weight-reducing holes cut everywhere that it was ridiculous, and probably dangerous. IIRC they claimed to have gotten like $25K for it from some guy wanting to build a racer...

SMD1 10-02-2012 11:18 AM

I happened to DVR the show and when I saw the 67 coupe went back to take a hard look. A few items I observed;

-driver's side chassis at the kick up appeared to have a very large repair section.
- small block motor in car
- AC ducts
- The dialog indicated it was a PA car from Longhorn, PA.
- Really strange was a sticker on the rear panel indicating "Baldwin Chevrolet"
- The small block valve covers were imprinted with "Motion"

Lots of stories here.......I agree with the other comments.....reality TV at its best.

67vetteal 10-02-2012 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by SMD1 (Post 1581975296)
I happened to DVR the show and when I saw the 67 coupe went back to take a hard look. A few items I observed;

-driver's side chassis at the kick up appeared to have a very large repair section.
- AC ducts

Lots of stories here.......I agree with the other comments.....reality TV at its best.

For those who do not know this. Baldwin Chevrolet was a stand alone dealership. Joel Rosen/Motion bought the cars they built from Baldwin Chevy. The Baldwin Chevrolet sticker is/was on many cars, from Corvettes to Corvairs and a bunch of work vans. Al W.

salty_waders 10-02-2012 12:14 PM

I watched it and couldnt believe the price he paid for it. Not sure if its scripted. The car did have a small block but everything else appeared to be in good shape and a legit BB, and it drove away. I would be willing to bet that the discovery channel buys the car and the negotiating and prices are scripted and fake??

stratplus 10-02-2012 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ya I don't believe it and think it is for entertainment.

The other day he picked up an original, untouched, fiberglass, Wildfire and supposedly there are only 7 or 9 in the world. So what is the first thing the idiot does? He CUTS THE WINDSHIELD DOWN FOR LOOKS, then he paints the hood for looks. He got 100k for it in cash. What could he really have done if he left it alone and sold it to a real collector.

ifitgoesfast 10-02-2012 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by SMD1 (Post 1581975296)

- AC ducts

Baldwin-Motion was a company in NYC that specialized in performance in the late '60's through 70's beginning at the dealership. Kind of like Callaway in the '90's, but not as successful.

Frankie the Fink 10-02-2012 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by stratplus (Post 1581975917)

The other day he picked up an original, untouched, fiberglass, Wildfire and supposedly there are only 7 or 9 in the world. So what is the first thing the idiot does? He CUTS THE WINDSHIELD DOWN FOR LOOKS, then he paints the hood for looks. He got 100k for it in cash. What could he really have done if he left it alone and sold it to a real collector.

I saw that too. When those dorks started in on this extremely rare car with a saw I threw up in my mouth a little bit.:ack:

Lou64 10-02-2012 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by stratplus (Post 1581975917)

:iagree:

Agreed, but what about the times when he goes to a NO RESERVE auction and loses his a$$. He lost like 20k the other week on a couple of cars. Is Discovery picking up the bill for that? I guess its still cheaper than an episode of Seinfeld. :crazy2:

Haven't seen the Corvette episode yet, but am recording the series on DVR.

Every time I watch that show I think about how much better I myself could run his shop than he does. They definitely put their own spin on each car, but I think their cars come out looking too much the same--for a specific type of buyer. I think he would do much better with doing some more "neutral" type of upgrades.

Frankie the Fink 10-02-2012 12:52 PM

None of this genre of reality shows has anything to do with the profit underlying the business. If I had to guess I think the money is made by the participants in syndication rights, advertising revenue, etc..

Do you think American Pickers could finance even one excursion based on the few hundred bucks they (supposedly) make in an episode ?

KC John 10-02-2012 12:55 PM

The other day they did a Ford pick-up and they supposedly put a show car paint job on it and hoped to get 50k+. When they showed the engine it still had the rusty pulleys on it.

These are white trash car guys. They couldn't sell a car to anyone on this forum or any other forum I read.

Bluestripe67 10-02-2012 03:00 PM

I notice that every car project intended for auction get done at the eleventh hour. It's show time! :D Dennis

PS. Anyone see the "new format of Overhaulin"?