CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   What is a restomod (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3177793-what-is-a-restomod.html)

provette67 12-05-2012 05:52 PM

What is a restomod

What is the general excepted definition of a restomod?

mike coletta 12-05-2012 06:15 PM

I don't think that there is one. Read http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...n-someday.html

Mike Coletta

MiguelsC2 12-05-2012 07:15 PM

Could be a restored car that has been modified from the factory build?

:D

shemp 12-05-2012 08:30 PM

I'm gonna go with an old body with modern equipment. Shemp :cheers:

3JsVette 12-05-2012 08:48 PM

Over simplified....a modified from stock restoration.

steveale 12-06-2012 12:07 AM

I thought it was when the forum moderators were taking a coffee break...

"Rest - o - mod" :rofl:

biggd 12-06-2012 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 1582496257)
I'm gonna go with an old body with modern equipment. Shemp :cheers:

I wish they had this option for the human body.:lol:

Kerrmudgeon 12-06-2012 08:58 AM

I thought it was a combo of "restored" and/or "modified", aka rest-o-mod. I guess the "mod" could also refer to "modernized" for most of them.:thumbs:

BTW Railwayman, the 70's "wild" flares etc. you refer to, were TOTALLY made for functionality. It was the only way to get bigger rubber and taller motors into the body shell during those years, as seen on all of the race cars from that era. :yesnod:

The wild flares, spoilers and paint jobs were eye-catching but did nothing to improve the performance or comfort. A restomod which puts today's technology under and inside a classic body style will probably not pass totally out of style. Prices are anybody's guess but it will depend on what a given buyer is looking for - an "original" or something easily drivable. JMHO

91DRM 12-06-2012 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by provette67 (Post 1582495099)
What is the general accepted definition of a restomod?

Fixt

kcust62 12-06-2012 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by provette67 (Post 1582495099)
What is the general excepted definition of a restomod?

Restored vintage body appearance fitted with the latest technological advances! :rock:

provette67 12-06-2012 09:21 PM

I asked this question for a couple of reasons. Since a few high end restomods brought high dollars I am seeing more and more cars advertised as restomods for sale. Some are completely re-engineered,with the very latest in technology in suspension,tube chassis,the very latest computer controlled motor and tranny combos,reshaped bodies,redesigned interiors with huge wheels that look like pieces of rolling art.They are easy to see that there has been a great deal of time and a huge investment money wise. But most of the cars that are for sale appear to have a warmed over older motor and a set of mag wheels and some added chrome.Then I read posts like"will restomods lose their value like customs" or something like that. There were all kinds of responses but no one really defined what a real restomod is. I think to lump some of the what is being advertised as "restomods" along with the really obvious high end cars is like calling a car with a new paint job and interior kit "restored".

Ironcross 12-06-2012 10:27 PM

A restoration with modern conveniences built in, but used too modestly in many situations.....The real good ones are almost completely restyled or refined from original....not my cup of shine though.....:cheers:

67's 12-07-2012 09:32 AM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1s-...-restomod.html

Like this, calling this car a restomod in the description I believe has hurt the interest in the car

Originally Posted by provette67 (Post 1582505245)
I asked this question for a couple of reasons. Since a few high end restomods brought high dollars I am seeing more and more cars advertised as restomods for sale. Some are completely re-engineered,with the very latest in technology in suspension,tube chassis,the very latest computer controlled motor and tranny combos,reshaped bodies,redesigned interiors with huge wheels that look like pieces of rolling art.They are easy to see that there has been a great deal of time and a huge investment money wise. But most of the cars that are for sale appear to have a warmed over older motor and a set of mag wheels and some added chrome.Then I read posts like"will restomods lose their value like customs" or something like that. There were all kinds of responses but no one really defined what a real restomod is. I think to lump some of the what is being advertised as "restomods" along with the really obvious high end cars is like calling a car with a new paint job and interior kit "restored".

provette67 12-07-2012 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe (Post 1582507856)
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1s-...-restomod.html

Like this, calling this car a restomod in the description I believe has hurt the interest in the car

Just one example of many

Poorhousenext 12-07-2012 10:11 AM

If you really want to know what a Restomod is, do a search on "Definition of Restomod" and read all the definitions from the many sources and Car Fourms....:rofl: Bottom line it's the old "What came First, the Chicken or the Egg...:D Might as well be debating that subject as it subjective.:D

The answer is simple, "Chicken came before the egg" if you believe in Creation.

Same with Man if you believe in the Constitution of United States that says, "All Men are created Equal". The Baby didn't come before Man and Woman as "All Men are created Equal". They are the product of the mating of a Man with a Woman.

Money doesn't make the Man as believed by some politicians now days.

Money only make Taxpayers, while lack of money makes Slaves if you promise them a Government check to live off of...:thumbs: Greece proved that when the Government Slaves revolted when their checks got cut...:willy:

Back to Subject:

Here is one I found that best defines a Restomod. My car doesn't fit either one. Came close on one of them, but I didn't have to take a 2nd Mortgage on my house, or max out my credit cards. I used my Goverment checks to do it...:thumbs:

RestoMod: you build the car using a reasonable monthly budget

Pro-Touring: you have second mortgage on our house and max out your credit cards to build the car

PS: Time to go back to watching the "Western Channel" were Good Guys still win, and Bad guys always lose, instead of the other way around...:toetap:

firstgear 12-09-2012 12:35 PM

What puts the biggest smile on my face!

Restomod = new motor w/computer control + new modern transmission + new chassis with modern suspension geometries + new comfortable seats + A/C + optional stereo + beautiful wheels > 16" in diameter + low profile tires that plant as much rubber on road as possible + bad ass disc brakes front and rear + paint that you can see yourself in with no blemishes = lots of money = what Mike Coletta or Rich Lagasse or Poorhouse built

A restomod is not a car that had a motor displacement upsize nor one that had a stronger 4 speed transmission or fender flares or stock suspension geometry still under the car or torsion bars added or coil over shocks......that is a modified car.....