CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3196807-katech-ls7-valvetrain-dynamics-testing-approved-seeking-input-from-corvette-forum.html)

Sébast19X 01-10-2013 03:00 PM

suscribed
:canadaflag:

EX1 01-10-2013 03:07 PM

I would like to see some vendors like Ragin' Racin', Vette-Air, and some of the other guys who sell popular aftermarket camshafts to submit one of their products for testing.

Random84 01-10-2013 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by EX1 (Post 1582787330)
I would like to see some vendors like Ragin' Racin', Vette-Air, and some of the other guys who sell popular aftermarket camshafts to submit one of their products for testing.

Perhaps if someone had a used cam laying around, they could send it in for testing (and just list it by specification to avoid offending anyone). Afterall, the cam itself wouldn't be at fault for any findings - it would just be a matter of saying "what would be most stable" given the lift, lobe profile, etc.

2k Cobra 01-10-2013 04:12 PM

Thanks Jason. Appreciate your efforts! :thumbs:

FSTFRC 01-10-2013 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by EX1 (Post 1582787330)

Might as well add Livernos and Vengance Racing to the list too..

Dirty Howie 01-10-2013 04:41 PM

Hahahaahahah.............. Great timing.:willy: I'm picking up my heads from WCCH tomorow !!!!

:cheers:
DH

VetteVinnie 01-10-2013 04:52 PM

:lurk:

Interested in #6. I am running Patriot dual springs and heavier exhaust valves (Ferrea Super Alloy for the Peanut Gallery). Any chance of you getting a hold of a Comp cam with the refined lobe design?

Dirty Howie 01-10-2013 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Zoxxo (Post 1582786271)
Seriously cool, Jason. This kind of thing is precisely why the community turns to Katech time and again. Big Time Kudos.

:cheers: :thumbs:

I'm interested in scenario #3 and I agree with the "current WCCH default equipment" test given how many folks have gone with them for changes/fixes. In my case that is stock cam, Patriot Gold duals, and SS exh valves from Racing Engine Valves.

So far no issues have arisen since the change but it would be nice to know the details.

Z//

Mine are getting done right now with what WCCH currently recommended for my stock cam and no porting:

1. BT Platinum dual spring kit. For .660" Lift.
2. REV LS7 Exhaust Valve 1.615" 8mm 5.230" OAL w/.290 tip.

DH

'06 Quicksilver Z06 01-10-2013 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie (Post 1582788362)
Mine are getting done right now with what WCCH currently recommended for my stock cam and no porting:

1. BT Platinum dual spring kit. For .660" Lift.
2. REV LS7 Exhaust Valve 1.615" 8mm 5.230" OAL w/.290 tip.

DH

The fact that Katech is willing to do meaningful research, the results of which promise to be of some practical use, is part of why I will continue to buy their products.

It was time for real research as opposed to chasing wild geese

I am elated to see Katech planning on taking a look at these popular setups to tell us what should work and what definitely won't work.

As Rock mentioned, the potential in helping people decide on rev limits, is also of benefit.

This research has tremendous potential, which can be put into use by a anyone who has followed these discussions as well as those who are already running stainless valves in helping them to determine if spring or valve changes might be needed for added safety margin.

Kudos to Katech for their stepping up with this. :thumbs: :cheers:

pomppe 01-10-2013 05:22 PM

mistermog 01-10-2013 05:38 PM

Agree silver, it speaks volumes that they are going to do this PURELY for our benefit to know what will or wont be safe to run in our cars is beyond gracious and shows while some things lie outside their business models they still care about their customers, and really people that arent even customers (yet).

definitely owe jason a beer or a frosty or some cupcakes or something, whoever sees him next!

Minkster 01-10-2013 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by mistermog (Post 1582786290)
Jason, I have to say... thank you. :) Couldnt have been better timed!

I don't know how long this plan has been in the works but great, im actually excited here, its like christmas again.

I see you testing your Ti valves with the torquer, any value added to testing them on the stock cam, or would it be too much like the stock valves to be worth the effort?

I too would like to see this test just for verification that your Ti exh valves are a good replacement for the hollow stem stockers. I also assume you will summarize the results of each combination compared to the stock results (?). Are you going to be able to extrapolate any durability findings from your test?

Thanks for doing this as it should shed some light on all the speculation that has been going on. :thumbs:

vertC6 01-10-2013 05:45 PM

:hurray: As with every other forum member, we all want to thank you for stepping up to do this, it definitely means a lot to me.

After studying this subject to exhaustion (to the point I am getting sick of it) the biggest questions I have come across in valvetrain stability besides the simple issue of weight is a follows;

Single vs Dual and how seat pressure, open pressure and harmonics effects the valvetrain with Ti and solid stem exhaust valves.

Stock rockers vs. popular aftermarket rollers such as YT, T&D, and Crower. We would like to see how much "over the tip weight" effects the valvetrain with the torquer cam (or similar).

For myself, I would like to see how different lobes such as comps LXL lobes that are designed for the 1.8 rocker compare to the torquer lobes.

Again thank you for the effort and I look forward to the results! :cheers:

50 4Ever 01-10-2013 07:19 PM

This is awesome Jason. Kudos to you and the Katech team..

:thumbs:

LT5 John 01-10-2013 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever (Post 1582789612)
This is awesome Jason. Kudos to you and the Katech team..

:thumbs:

:iagree::thumbs:

clogan 01-10-2013 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie (Post 1582788186)
Hahahaahahah.............. Great timing.:willy: I'm picking up my heads from WCCH tomorow !!!!

DH

LOL...I'm getting mine on Monday.

glenB 01-10-2013 07:44 PM

Dirty Howie 01-10-2013 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rock36 (Post 1582786720)
As far as the duals valvesprings go, and aside from what I mentioned earlier, I would nominate either: Brian Tooley Racing Platinum Duals :thumbs:

I would like to know where Katech would recommend placing red lines based on results. For example, if a valve loses control at 7200 rpm, perhaps you would suggest a safety of 500 rpm and a new redline of 6700 rpm. Just an example of course. That way folks who still want to use SS valves can go in and limit redline and fuel cutoff via tunes if they so chose.

Maybe the redlines can be moved up instead of down if the valves are being controlled well by the springs :D

DH

Dirty Howie 01-10-2013 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by clogan (Post 1582789732)
LOL...I'm getting mine on Monday.

Well lets hope that the Katech research validates all the performance shops and cars that are running SS valves and dual springs. I know many of these engines are running above stock RPM so I don't believe that we will need to worry about lowering the RPM at all. :thumbs:

DH

Bad_AX 01-10-2013 08:03 PM

First, a big thank you to the folks at Katech. This is very refreshing for a change.

I too am interested in seeing a test to compare a high quality roller tip rocker to the stock rockers. I am specifically interested in the Crower SS with needle bearing tip. In theory, roller tips should reduce friction and deflection of the valve stem, and possibly have greater inertia and earlier valve float for a given spring pressure, but I really want to know what happens in actual practice. My goal is the most reliable, light weight valve train that will maintain at least 7000 rpm redline. I also want to use beehive springs and Ti/Mo valves, but maybe not after all this is done!

I expect you will be doing a set of heads for me at the end of this.

Subscribed--