CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   2014 corvette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3202683-2014-corvette.html)

tach drive 61 01-18-2013 09:53 PM

2014 corvette

today I was sent a preview photo or the 2014 corvette . the old school purest does not like it ! yes i also bet its way too much $$$$ and can only imagine a young person 20 /24 years old saying I want a new vette ! wait a minute its 70 K plus .thankyou GM .had to vent so go easy on my thread !

62Jeff 01-18-2013 09:56 PM

Its not 130k plus

_Nomad_ 01-18-2013 10:03 PM

The new base C7 coupe will be priced around what the base C6 coupe was. It will be in the 50K range fully loaded.

Mike Terry 01-18-2013 10:45 PM

I find that hard to believe the the price will be about the same as the C6. I would not even want to pay that much for it let a lone more. As far as I am concerned you still can not beat the look of a C2. People all over the world know that if you show them the pic of a C2 Corvette that, that is the true and original design for Covette. There is my $0.05 worth. It was a penny but inflection is a bitch.

mikey 01-19-2013 12:09 AM

with a small running collection of my own, including a C2, C4 and C6Z06, I think I'm qualified to offer opinion..

I think the technology and advancements that will be offered in the new C7 base model, for a reported $56K, are a phenomenal deal considering the same capability with a little less whiz-bang cost $90K a couple years ago. The ZR1 of the C4 generation even cost considerably more than the new C7, and that's granting a pass on inflation factor over 20 years! The C7 will spank the C4 ZR1 - hard!

I can't say I'm a fan of all the styling cues, nor do I agree it should be called a stingray, or sting ray, as that name is clearly synonymous with our C2 generation and to some, the C3's. This new model has nothing in common with the originals, so why try to link it? Quite frankly, that was the biggest turn-off for me. But I'll over look it for the 7 speed and the rev matching downshifts..

honestly, most concerning, how will we* ever maintain cars like these in the future with so many sensors and wiring and computers, it is going to be difficult to find a garage that has any clue how to keep 'em going after the General has moved on to C12.
* I use "we" in the context of those of us who are not yet eligible for social security (and never will be because there won't be any!).

tach drive 61 01-19-2013 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by 62Jeff (Post 1582879922)
Its not 130k plus

I stand corrected on price .

Frankie the Fink 01-19-2013 08:48 AM

I liked everything about the C7 until I saw the backside - totally disappointed now.
Big-time Camaro-ish.

This is the same mistake Ford made when they brought the modern Mustang back years ago with the tail lights slanted horizontally instead of vertically (as they were when the Mustang was born).

gbvette62 01-19-2013 10:02 AM

I can't get upset that the tail lamps aren't round, or that they resemble the Camaro ones. Did Corvette people feel the same way in 61, when the Corvette borrowed the round tail lamp look, from the 58 Impala?

My problem with the rear of the car, is that I think it's ugly! The silly oversize tail pipes, and all the black paint and plastic louvers, don't work for me.

I can't get upset about them calling it a Stingray either. It's just a name. To the public, Corvettes have always been Stingrays. For 35 years, people have called my 62 a Stingray, and I often hear late model Corvettes referred to as Stingrays.

Almost every week there's a discussion on the C3 Forum, about whether a 68 or 82 are Stingrays or not. I mean really, is a 76 a better car that a 77, because it says "Stingray" on the front fenders?

GM can call it what they want. I don't care. I can't get upset about a chrome badge on a car.

Originally Posted by mikey (Post 1582880833)
honestly, most concerning, how will we* ever maintain cars like these in the future with so many sensors and wiring and computers, it is going to be difficult to find a garage that has any clue how to keep 'em going after the General has moved on to C12.

You don't have to wait for the C12, for this to be a problem. GM is discontinuing parts for 10 year old cars, at a scary rate.

I'm getting calls monthly from people looking for steering sensors, body control modules, and other electronics, for 98, 99, 00, etc Corvettes. GM is discontinuing these things, and from what I'm told they're not rebuildable. The aftermarket hasn't produced them and may never. When they go bad they can screw up anything from gauges, to radios, to memory seats and magnetic shocks! Used ones for cars with Magnetic Ride Control, sell for $1,500!

I've talked to a few upset people, who own a used Corvette worth $20,000-$25,000, and can't drive it because the electronics are bad, and not available. :ack:

Frankie the Fink 01-19-2013 10:09 AM

I think most manufacturers are dropping parts after 10 years. I wanted to replace the rotted rubber hoses and vacuum lines on my '96 Mazda pickup (really a rebranded Ford Ranger). Crazy pieces with weird elbows and turns that end in different diameter hoses at each end. NObody could help me out so I spent a Saturday morning at my workbench 'fabricating' replacement parts.

I think the deal with the modern Corvettes is to put 'em in a garage Mahal for posterity or else drive them for 2-3 years and trade them on before the warranty expires and the maintenance becomes a nightmare.

Of course, having said that. If the demand becomes high enough and the price can justify it; some enterprising soul will start reproducing parts.

And not everybody liked the styling change to the Stingray rear-end in '61. However, the fact that the Corvettes ever since have had 4, round tail lights (for 50+ years) pretty much says it all. Until the C7 that is.

LT1driver 01-19-2013 02:52 PM

ugly and to much pandering to younger tech crowd, but mostly copied to much from other makers. to each their own however so it will sell....cheers

JohnZ 01-19-2013 03:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I like it, but I think it looks a lot better in the metallic gray than it does in red (the reveal car). :thumbs:

62Jeff 01-19-2013 03:04 PM

Various threads I've read since the reveal, speak of how current forum members looked at a corvette when they were a child, and were bitten by the bug. They then go on to say how the new car is putrid, ugly, whatever negative statement you can think of.

I think for the brand to succeed, you have to build a car that inspires the younger generation. I remember when I was little, the first generation C3s felt very batmobile-ish to us. It created enthusiasm in the kids of the late 60s.

I think the new car will draw the attention of the younger generation and that can only be good for the brand.

Building a car that only serves the desires of the same people who were inspired 50 years ago, is to target a shrinking demographic.

I'm in my 40s, I love the new car.

LouieM 01-19-2013 03:22 PM

My thought also. Should be quite a performer.

Originally Posted by JohnZ (Post 1582885007)
I like it, but I think it looks a lot better in the metallic gray than it does in red (the reveal car). :thumbs:

magicv8 01-19-2013 06:35 PM

My daughter and I both feel its a beautiful machine.

If I were to get one, it would be black, to assimilate the black panels and trim.

shemp 01-19-2013 06:43 PM

I agree. I like it too:rock: Shemp. :cheers:

mspry 01-19-2013 07:09 PM

Many people can't handle change but it seems to happen all the time.

62Jeff 01-19-2013 07:30 PM

Agreed, a dark color like this mutes the impact of all the black vents and grilles.

I'm quote fond of the dark grey with the tan interior combo. Hope the ZR? comes in that combo! :D

StingU2 01-19-2013 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 62Jeff (Post 1582887209)
Agreed, a dark color like this mutes the impact of all the black vents and grilles.

Jeff

Do you suppose there will be a lot of Black ones on the road? :D :yesnod:

62Jeff 01-19-2013 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by StingU2 (Post 1582887747)
Jeff

Do you suppose there will be a lot of Black ones on the road? :D :yesnod:

No doubt. Whether or not the one in my garage will be black is still tbd.

StingU2 01-19-2013 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by 62Jeff (Post 1582887805)
No doubt. Whether or not the one in my garage will be black is still tbd.

I'll wait a few years, give them a chance to change a few things up. But, I want mine in Silver. :yesnod:

:thumbs: