CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   January 2014 NCRS Kissimmee meet (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3218955-january-2014-ncrs-kissimmee-meet.html)

Frankie the Fink 02-15-2013 04:35 PM

January 2014 NCRS Kissimmee meet

Well for all you folks coming in from other countries next year here is a piece of brilliance our legislators have throw into the mix in Florida to further cripple our tourist-based economy - so plan accordingly:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,3666462.story

So far the local gov'ts are trying to backpedal away from enforcing it but stay tuned!

Tampa Jerry 02-15-2013 05:51 PM

Florida

Wow, I thought they were only corrupt. I guess I have to add stupid also. The new session starts on March 3. Can't wait. :ack: Jerry

stall 02-15-2013 07:43 PM

On the Studebaker Forum (yes I also have Studebakers) our Friends from Canada are reporting that their snobirds are very concerned that if they get stopped for anything they might be in big trouble.

Snobirds are very big business around our perch in Delray Fl.---Only in Fl. do they go out of their way to foul their nest!

vettefred 02-15-2013 08:51 PM

Well...I guess this would effectively eliminate the poorly maintained, aged, out of control Mexican trucks that are regularly allowed to cross the border and terrorize motorists in this country....:crazy:

Fred

vt65 02-15-2013 09:22 PM

Frankie I heard today that the legislation has been recinded temporarily, can't blame the officers though if they can't read a driver's license written in a language other than English. It's my understanding that the Quebec D/L's are in french ... guessing the Mexican ones are in Spanish? Up here in Canada the Quebecois pride themselves in not having any English signs in the Province of Quebec, hell they don't even want to fly the Canadian flag there! Sorry for the rant...:canadaflag:

Mike Ward 02-15-2013 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by vt65 (Post 1583133982)
Up here in Canada the Quebecois pride themselves in not having any English signs in the Province of Quebec, hell they don't even want to fly the Canadian flag there! Sorry for the rant...:canadaflag:

Guess what the first thing I did was when we moved to Ontario? :canadaflag:

mark6669 02-16-2013 12:20 AM

Just another way to tax the tourists note the $25 fee have never heard any law enforcement complain about this, the state of Florida is the best at killing itself.
Mark

Chuck Gongloff 02-16-2013 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by mark6669 (Post 1583135170)
Just another way to tax the tourists note the $25 fee have never heard any law enforcement complain about this, the state of Florida is the best at killing itself.
Mark

Here's a cut and paste from Frank's post.

"During the 2012 legislative session, the Florida Legislature amended section 322.04, Florida Statutes, to require visitors from outside the United States to have an International Driving Permit in order to drive lawfully in Florida. This change took effect Jan. 1, 2013," the department stated Thursday.

"It has come to the Department's attention that this requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Treaties to which the United States is a party preempt state laws in conflict with them.

It's not as if they don't have enough problems here in Floriduh....

Why waste time worrying about this?

Idiots. :willy:

If you read the second paragraph, looks like this "new" Floriduh law conflicts with a 1949 Geneva Convention treaty. :willy:

Wonder how much time our state legislature wasted debating this new "law", not realizing the conflict?

This past summer, I rented a car in Italy. NOBODY asked me for a "special international drivers license".

Chuck

raypilot65 02-16-2013 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by mark6669 (Post 1583135170)
Mark

You should be grateful. How do you think it is that we have no income tax and very low property taxes. Love the tourists.

Mike Ward 02-16-2013 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff (Post 1583136054)

This past summer, I rented a car in Italy. NOBODY asked me for a "special international drivers license".

Chuck

I've held an international drivers license since 1984. Never needed to use it once anywhere on the planet. Waste of money. :crazy2:

MAD IN NC 02-16-2013 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by vettefred (Post 1583133764)
Well...I guess this would effectively eliminate the poorly maintained, aged, out of control Mexican trucks that are regularly allowed to cross the border and terrorize motorists in this country....:crazy:

Fred

I look at it this way Fred, where the "the poorly maintained, aged, out of control Mexican trucks" will all gravitate to NC - the all comer state where even a dog can get a DL......

Mike Ward 02-16-2013 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by vettefred (Post 1583133764)

Fred

Don't understand your comment. The IDP is available to anyone with $25 and has nothing to do with the vehicle or what condition it's in.

Fawndeuce 02-16-2013 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by vt65 (Post 1583133982)
Frankie I heard today that the legislation has been recinded temporarily, can't blame the officers though if they can't read a driver's license written in a language other than English. It's my understanding that the Quebec D/L's are in french

I am in Orlando on business next week and will be renting a car, also hopefully getting to a car show and then Oldtown on Sat. :thumbs:
This new legislation apparently took effect Jan 1, but only became public knowledge this week when a British journalist found out about it by accident. :crazy:
I went to our local CAA office (AAA) to get one of those international permits (only place in Canada that has them), but there were literally hundreds of people who had also been caught off guard waiting in line for the same thing. :willy:
I was told the wait was about 2hrs, so I left, later that day FL made the statement that they would not enforce the law for now.
I have used my Quebec permit around the world to rent cars, never an issue, it has the bar code and mag strip and the rental car companies just scan it like any other.
Here is a sample of a Quebec permit, if a cop can't scan this or figure it out, he probably has more serious issues in his life...

:cheers:

Paul

http://www.veq.ca/wp-content/uploads...rs-licence.jpg

PS. That international drivers license that FL mandated costs over $40 with picture and taxes, and is only valid for one year.

vettefred 02-16-2013 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by MAD IN NC (Post 1583137159)
I look at it this way Fred, where the "the poorly maintained, aged, out of control Mexican trucks" will all gravitate to NC - the all comer state where even a dog can get a DL......

YUP......:crazy:

Fred