CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   How much should an alignment cost? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/323049-how-much-should-an-alignment-cost.html)

TJKirby82CE 06-17-2002 01:43 AM

How much should an alignment cost?

I just finished rebuilding everything on the front end. I guess I shoudl have it aligned, should I have a two wheel alignment becuause I did not adjust anything on the back end or a four wheel alignment. ANy words of advice?Thanks-Travis

Sting Raycin 06-17-2002 03:43 AM

Re: How much should an alignment cost? (TJKirby82CE)

A four-wheel alignment doesn't really refer to adjusting all four wheels, since it can be done on a fixed rear-end vehicle such as a truck. What it really means is making sure the front wheels are in alignment with the back wheels. Most shops will do a four-wheel alignment every time. Now, on the vette that may mean making some adjustments on the back to get everything right. I guess what I'm saying is they may not have to change anything on the back, but they need to do a four-wheel alignment.
Jason

74Coupe 06-17-2002 06:50 AM

Re: How much should an alignment cost? (jdharkey)

I just finished rebuilding my front end also, upper & lower A arm bushings, upper & lower ball joints, idler arm, tie rod ends, front wheel bearings, etc. Had a 4 wheel alignment, included adjustments to front and rear (replaced rear stust rods with poly adjustable struts rods). Total cost $80.00 made the world of difference. You are gonna like the results of all your hard work. Go for the total 4 wheel alignment. Good luck.

77-4speed 06-17-2002 12:47 PM

Re: How much should an alignment cost? (74Coupe)

Where in the world did you get a 4-wheel alignment for $80? All the shops around here want north of $100 for a 4-wheel thrust alignment.

Thanks,

Russ

70PurpleLS7 06-17-2002 01:00 PM

Re: How much should an alignment cost? (77-4speed)

Just before I sold mine I had a 4-wheel alignment done. Granted everything was new, T/A's we're redone, etc, etc... Final charge was $69.95 - I left with a :D

FWIW - This shop does it the old way, and does not have the overhead that the newer shops do with their alignment lifts, etc.

page62 06-17-2002 01:59 PM

Re: How much should an alignment cost? (77-4speed)

Depends on where you live. I know a place that does a 4-wheel computer align for $39. This is "poor" city, so auto repair costs can be VERY cheap...if you know where to go. (Speaking Spanish can help, too!)

GTR1999 06-17-2002 03:31 PM

Today I was quoted between $150 - $200 2-3 hours labor?? This is with new rear suspension parts?
Gary

tangee-vette 06-17-2002 06:11 PM

Re: How much should an alignment cost? (gtr1999)

Had a four wheel alignment done last fall in Minneapolis at Hoover Wheel Alignment, owned by Tom Hoover of drag racing fame. Cost was $69.00 and took a little over an hour. Made quite the difference, straight as an arrow down the road.

Rick

BigBlockVette 06-17-2002 10:53 PM

I had my 4 wheel alignment done in Romeo, Mich last year after rebuilding the entire front and rear suspension. The cost was roughly $225. It now drives great!! But I thought it was a bit costly.

Dwayne

Juliet 06-17-2002 11:15 PM

Re: How much should an alignment cost? (BigBlockVette)

The cost was roughly $225. It now drives great!!
That's similar to what mine cost. 4 wheel alignment which included NON-SLOTTED shims in the rear - and one of the T-arms had to be shimmed differently. It was all new parts in the car, so it came apart easy enough, it was still a bit of work to get it all adjusted. Jose at Tony's Corvette basically spent half a day on the car, plus he adjusted my parking brake for me too while he was at it. :cool:

joeveto 06-17-2002 11:16 PM

An honest shop should be able to do a good alignment for less than $100. But we all suffer from the same problem. They see us coming, see our cars, and then the dollar signs fill their eyes.

"What kind of car?"
"Corvette"
"Ohhhhh, that'll be (multiply a normal alignment by 2)"

We get screwed every time.

"You need air in the tires? What kind of car?"
"Vette."
"Ohhhhh, those are a pain to work on. I had one in here just last week, took forever. It'll run you at least...":mad

fauxrs 06-18-2002 12:07 AM

Re: How much should an alignment cost? (gtr1999)

Had mine done here in San Diego for just under $80 if memory serves.

LAvetteman 06-18-2002 12:25 AM

Re: How much should an alignment cost? (fauxrs)

Shops around here charge 65.00 for 4 wheel alignment. Very reasonable to me, but many complain like they do everything else. They are waiting for a loaf of bread to go back down to a nickle. :rolleyes:

ElSeano80 06-18-2002 04:13 AM

Re: How much should an alignment cost? (71,454,4spd)

I agree with JoeVeto. At least you guys could get quotes! The 3 shops in town I called wouldn't even quote me a price. "We'll just have to work on it and see how long it takes before we know how much it'll cost." All 3 shops basically told me the same thing. No way I'm going to do that. I'll go to pick it up and have a bill for $300 waiting for me. Now I gotta find a trailor and take it down to Denver just to get it aligned. :(

El Seano

OkeeGuy 06-18-2002 07:32 AM

here in okeechobee, florida...4 wheel alignment...$60

Wren 06-19-2002 02:49 PM

Re: How much should an alignment cost? (SIGNGUY)

I got a lifetime alignment for $140. It took them three hours the first time things were so badly off. Drives much better and I never have to pay for alignment again, it is a chain store so I should be able to get service wherever I move too.

I am 21, lets see if I can get my money's worth out of this lifetime alignment over the next 50 or so years.

Wren

Juliet 06-19-2002 09:35 PM

Re: How much should an alignment cost? (Wren)

You guys quoting really low prices for alignments - do they include the original hole style shims? Because at the place I took mine for alignment, it would have been far less if I went for the slotted style shims. :D To change the T-arm alignment with the holed shims you need to disconnect the spring, and take the T-arm pins out! :eek: I think that is probably part of the cost difference. I discussed it up front with Tony and since I want my car to be NCRS correct I opted for the pricier alignment with the original style shims (basically their hourly shop rate and however long it takes is what I paid). It would have probably been a heck of a lot less with the slotted shims. :yesnod:

Corvettes White 06-19-2002 10:17 PM

I would expect to pay for two to three hours work. I would also only take it to a guy who knows C2 C3 Vettes. When these cars are set up right they are unbeliveble. 3 hours at $60 in Calif. is $180. 3 hours at $20 is $60. $29.95 forget it.

George

ddecart 06-19-2002 11:23 PM

Re: How much should an alignment cost?

I had mine done this spring and I think it ran $150. They could have done it for a little less ($100) had I decided to let them leave some of the settings as they were...they were close and asked if I wanted to just match the other side...like the left rear toe was 1/32 from where I wanted it. They could have left it and just set the other side to match and it woudl have been cheaper. I decided to go with things how I had spec'd it out.

vert2go89 06-20-2002 08:55 AM

GET IT DONE 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT.I paid 80 bucks for 4 wheel align but some do it for around 125.You will be surprised how fast your tires will wear out when alignment is off.