CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   C4 prices (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/3231774-c4-prices.html)

kimmer 03-09-2013 11:14 AM

C4 prices

After checking out ads for the last week I concluded that low mile well maintained C4's are going up in price while C5's are dropping. Of course there are c5 owners that think their car is special and have them priced with the early c6. So why a base c5 for the price of a base c6.

Cygnus 03-09-2013 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by kimmer (Post 1583318467)
Of course there are c5 owners that think their car is special and have them priced with the early c6.

That is not limited to C5 owners. I keep my eyes open here for clean C4's and I have seen them priced all over the place. Some are very reasonable and some like to think that they are made out of gold.

kimmer 03-09-2013 11:31 AM

True, but since I was using the c5 as a comparison I used the c5 owner.

856SPEED 03-09-2013 12:54 PM

Well,

If people would stop giving their clean, well maintained C4's away to bottom feeders, that would help us all of us out......but if you have a "well used anything" you can't expect to get much for it no matter what it is....

But unfortunately desparate times lead to desparate situations...

Kmcoldcars 03-09-2013 08:38 PM

Remember, ASKING prices mean nothing. It is the SELLING price that counts.

zr1fred 03-09-2013 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars (Post 1583322042)

:iagree: There is a huge difference between asking and selling. Generally what people are seeing is the cars that aren't selling, and are pricing their cars accordingly. There are very few primaries out there, most of the buyers are resale players. These cars are basically toys, especially the C4's and older, and scared people don't buy toys.

93Rubie 03-09-2013 10:33 PM

I'm not selling or buying, I'm keeping. Too much time and money to give up now. Besides its different.

Chilliwack vettes 03-10-2013 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars (Post 1583322042)

:iagree: There were a bunch of C5 value threads that came out with the C7 debut and they all think that the C5 is rising! Perhaps the C7 is just driving a renewed interest in Corvettes in general and some are trying to cash in on the excitement.
I do hope the OP is correct as I'm selling my C4 shortly!:D

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...now-on-c5.html

Retxpres 03-10-2013 09:14 AM

C-4 prices are bottoming out. I am holding on to mine. Looking to take care of a few minor issues that have developed over time. Well maintained c-4's will hold their value over the long haul.

FOURSPEEDVETTE 03-10-2013 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=Chilliwack vettes;1583323854]:iagree: There were a bunch of C5 value threads that came out with the C7 debut and they all think that the C5 is rising!

:lolg: I don't see the C5 ever as being collectible or one that will increase in value by any leaps and bounds. Nothing great to look at in my opinion. It was a model that was in the transition of sports car and lux car and didn't do eigther very well in my opinion. Sure the C5 is quick, it's a Corvette, but so is the Subaru WRX and look how ugly that car is. :lol: Some cars just can't get the whole package correct in my opinion. Notice I did say these were my "opinions", so before anyone with a C5 on a C4 forum gets "butt hurt' because I don't agree with them about C5 values increasing any time soon, or maybe never, it's only my opinion. In this economy, we're lucky if anything increases in value!

zr1fred 03-10-2013 10:16 AM

Out here, C5 prices have gone up or held steady in the past few years. One of the reasons for C5 and C6 price where they are is the availability of loans. As the C5's get over 10 years old, financing becomes more difficult. Americans live on credit for the most part. When you have to have cash for a car or use credit cards, the price drops to those levels (cash on hand or credit card limits). The refinance money left several years ago, and you saw it reflected in the C3 and C4 prices. To paraphrase an old movie line, "You covet what you see". As people see less of the C4's on the road they tend to forget about them. You still see a lot of C5's driving around so there is more interest.

Tommy T-Bone 03-10-2013 11:01 AM

To quote myself ......

Originally Posted by Tommy T-Bone (Post 1583167142)
This is exactly why I would rather burn the tires off my 90 and leave it smoking like a cash for clunkers Corvette. I have so much into it that taking $4500 would add insult to injury.

It's a keeper.

lt4obsesses 03-10-2013 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by zr1fred (Post 1583324772)
Out here, C5 prices have gone up or held steady in the past few years. One of the reasons for C5 and C6 price where they are is the availability of loans. As the C5's get over 10 years old, financing becomes more difficult. Americans live on credit for the most part. When you have to have cash for a car or use credit cards, the price drops to those levels (cash on hand or credit card limits). The refinance money left several years ago, and you saw it reflected in the C3 and C4 prices. To paraphrase an old movie line, "You covet what you see". As people see less of the C4's on the road they tend to forget about them. You still see a lot of C5's driving around so there is more interest.

Good point about financing, very true. Another factor in resale is the availability (or lack there of) of replacement parts. The aftermarket is still thriving for the LSx motors, and GM is still making almost everything you need for a C5, but the C4 has been completely out of production for going on twenty years and many, many parts are discontinued. This, of course is going to shy away alot of folks. Right now, it seems like the aftermarket folks are divided into two catagories, '53-'82 then C5-C6. But I believe that we will see a few companies seeing value in manufacturing and supplying quality parts for the C4 in near future, there's still alot of them out there.

Of course this summer will see another adjustment of the Corvette market, as the newest edition gets closer to production. The remaining C6's on showroom floors will be getting a firm discount. I believe there will be an influx of C6's hitting the used market as folks start trading up.

LT4 F45 03-10-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Retxpres (Post 1583324391)
Well maintained C4's will hold their value over the long haul.

:iagree:ZR1 is well underpriced but being in the same price range as the C6 is it is a hard move to chose from when you have 25K to spend...
Time will tell but i think that the clamshell hood, timeless curves, awesome suspension/brakes and wonderful engines development thru the entire generation will help in getting them to higher collector interest in the next 10-20 years when C1 to C3's will have topped out of range of working / retired people that ever dream about owning a classic Corvette!
Imho i think ZR1 and LT4 to be the best bet of the generation but any well maintain / lower miles C4 will appreciate as time will pass but i assume that i can be wrong on that...:hide:

ColaBear 03-10-2013 01:02 PM

Well, I did not buy mine to sit in the garage with the hopes that it will someday be worth more than I paid for it. It’s just too much fun to drive and that’s what I am going to do with it. I’m not going to be on this rock forever and I don’t have the funds to cruise through retirement (if/when I get there) so I’m going to drive it to get as many smiles to the miles as I can. I will do my best to keep it in top form but it’s going to get driven and unfortunately, the high miles will not help the later resale value.

DeeHutch 03-10-2013 01:53 PM

Just to shed some real time light on this. I just sold my C-4, last week. '94 model, black on black, 6 speed with 83k on her and fetched a cool $10k....

Durissus 03-10-2013 01:59 PM

I think when the C7s become more available, the C5s (and perhaps 6s also) will become the step-children that the C4s are now, and the C4s will start to become more "classic" and therefore stop losing value, but that's not in the immediate future. It will be interesting when they start bashing C5s and 6s, for a change, because some of the C7 owners think they're too good for the rest of us!

Every succeeding year should be a bit more advanced than the previous year, but that shouldn't stop us from oogling some of the earlier vettes (like my favorite, the '67.)

AirForceOne! 03-10-2013 02:04 PM

[QUOTE]
I think when the C7s become more available, the C5s (and perhaps 6s also) will become the step-children that the C4s are now, and the C4s will start to become more "classic" and therefore stop losing value, but that's not in the immediate future. It will be interesting when they start bashing C5s and 6s, for a change, because some of the C7 owners think they're too good for the rest of us!

Every succeeding year should be a bit more advanced than the previous year, but that shouldn't stop us from oogling some of the earlier vettes (like my favorite, the '67.)
[QUOTE]

:iagree:

speedycat3 03-10-2013 02:24 PM

I went through the same with my 75 C3. Bought it in 92 for a mere $3500.00. I could find a buyer for 10 to 13 very easily nowadays. I have invested about 7k over 20 years, so I hardly see it as a money pit.
I have never bought any car expecting it to be an investment; I just like anything on wheels and with a nice V8 rumble. If we like the C4's, let's enjoy them and see what happens. I am not oosing any sleep ovet the value of my 93 Ruby either now or in a few years. I just get chill bumps driving it and now listening to my exhaust tunes.

silverja 03-10-2013 04:20 PM

Pricing is a difficult issue

Pricing of C4's are all over the place. Only the buyer and seller can really determine the final price. One should not let asking prices deter any interest. Years ago I went with a friend to look at a 1996 Triple Black LT4 convertible. The owner was asking $22,500. My friend said I will give you $18,000. The owner balked which was his prerogative. About a month later he called my friend and said he would take the offer. But my friend just bought another Corvette and was no longer interested. If one is a serious buyer, make an offer you can fulfill. (Able to pay for) If the owner says no, just walk and leave a phone number. No big deal.

I am glad that I have zero interest in parting with the C4 I have happily owned for the past 12+ years. If i do ever part with it, I will give it to my 25 year old son. Too much sentimental value with it to accept the little cash it would fetch. Just me.

Best of luck in your pursuit of a C4.