CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Locked out of Corvette Battery Dead, How to OPEN FOB to reveal key? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3232304-locked-out-of-corvette-battery-dead-how-to-open-fob-to-reveal-key.html)

need-for-speed 03-10-2013 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1583327306)
How does that compare to cleaning it with WD-40?:D:D:D

the 30 gets the job done and it's 25% cheaper :rofl:

cclive 03-10-2013 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by need-for-speed (Post 1583328874)
the 30 gets the job done and it's 25% cheaper :rofl:

I looked for it today at Walmart but they only have the more expensive stuff....oh well...:D:D

Gearhead Jim 03-10-2013 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by duramaxsky (Post 1583327392)
I had a spare made and keep it on my key ring incase I lock the fob in the car or trunk. I am thinking about getting a spare fob and programming it to the car. Then take the battery out and hide it in the trunk. I think it will still work in the glove box without the battery. Then I could get home if I loose my fob.

Most people say the fob will work in the glove box even with no battery in it, but a few have said it won't.

I have a third fob programmed, battery installed, just wrapped in a couple layers of aluminum foil and hidden deeply inside the car. I've done a lot of testing and the doors/trunk will not open because of that fob.

There is also a hidden key outside the car, but I ain't gonna tell you where that one is either...
:D

bud miller 03-11-2013 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1583327306)
How does that compare to cleaning it with WD-40?:D:D:D

typo...must be the time change:):)

ChevyDave 03-11-2013 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by bud miller (Post 1583331138)
typo...must be the time change:):)

ok, so ya got me. i confess i actually looked it up in Google. And no, it was never made..... i can now vouch for that fact
and i am much smarter for researching.. lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

the best part of the wd-40 story is... Larsen was attempting to create a formula to prevent corrosion in nuclear missiles, by displacing the standing water that causes it. He claims he arrived at a successful formula on his 40th attempt

so......... any ones of you out there, that wants to know how to prevent corrosion on your NUKES, just ask, i got the answer!!!!

bud miller 03-11-2013 06:52 PM

anyway, more than one of my friends was unable to use their key in the hatch, because of dirt/corrosion and could not get hatch open...some broke their key...wd40 cheap prevention.
actually if we drive our cars more often , should'nt have a battery issue..........

need-for-speed 03-15-2013 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1583329795)
Most people say the fob will work in the glove box even with no battery in it, but a few have said it won't.

It does work :yesnod:

While I had my fob opened up in order to replace the battery, I tried it. I put it in the glove box slot with no battery in it. The first time I pushed the start button, it made the clickity click sound. Then I pushed it again and it started right up

:cool:

Rapnrev 03-16-2013 12:51 AM

The key in the fob must be for cars newer than 06. Never minde found the answer in a post I didn't read.

CO Lightfoot 03-16-2013 11:30 AM

Most people say the fob will work in the glove box even with no battery in it...

Worked in my 09.

Makes a nice back-up fob for road trips. :thumbs:

REDC4CORVETTE 03-21-2013 05:30 AM

Great info I used the key twist on both sides of my fob open right up!
Thanks guys.:thumbs:

phylrick 04-23-2013 02:19 PM

Wow.....what a relief!!

Bought my 2005 and have been shining it to death. All of a sudden personal features became erratic and I was in visioning days in the shop. Changed battery in fob and wha la!!!

All is well......great thread.

BTW....if your key won't work because of rust you ain't keeping the car clean......I thought all vette owners knew that!!!!!! Hehe

LS WON 04-23-2013 02:34 PM

:lurk::bigears

2006c6keller 06-14-2013 10:36 PM

Go figure...

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1583326635)
Good thought about the wife. Surprisingly, my wife's fob will release the key easily enough for her to do, but mine was the stubborn one. Go figure...

..., it is just the usual quality control for Vettes, always varing.

2006c6keller 06-14-2013 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by duramaxsky (Post 1583327392)
I had a spare made and keep it on my key ring incase I lock the fob in the car or trunk. I am thinking about getting a spare fob and programming it to the car. Then take the battery out and hide it in the trunk. I think it will still work in the glove box without the battery. Then I could get home if I loose my fob.

I do this except I loosen the FOB covers and put a piece of scotch tape doubled over sticky side to sticky side. I place this between the battery and the electrical connecting clips with long tape end sticking out. Then I only close gently and hold together with a rubber band, pull tape end out when need to use. In addition, I use a spare key attached to a convienent outside hidding place. Note: The FOB does NOT lose its memory when battery not connected, I tested it over two weeks later and it worked.

2006c6keller 06-14-2013 10:56 PM

Yeaa!

I have a third fob programmed, battery installed, just wrapped in a couple layers of aluminum foil and hidden deeply inside the car. I've done a lot of testing and the doors/trunk will not open because of that fob.

There is also a hidden key outside the car, but I ain't gonna tell you where that one is either...
:D

Yeaa, we know, you are haveing a "senior moment" and can't remember! :rofl::rofl::rofl: