CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   F-1 reminder this weekend (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3233190-f-1-reminder-this-weekend.html)

John Shiels 03-11-2013 08:15 PM

F-1 reminder this weekend

Starts this weekend so check where you need to get it if your interested in it as speed is toast. Only racing I have any interest in now.

VetteDrmr 03-11-2013 08:34 PM

Had to go to DirectTV to get NBCSN, but I'm ready to go.

Can't wait!

Have a good one,
Mike

Zoxxo 03-11-2013 09:32 PM

Pay close attention to their schedule as they are doing it a bit differently from the way Speed used to.

In addition to the practice sessions (they seem to be showing P1 and P2 but not P3,) qualifying and the race, they are also showing "The Grid" which I am assuming for now is the old "Mobil One: The Grid" from Speed, and they are showing a half-hour POST RACE show, "F1 Extra" so you DVR recorders need to provide ample time to catch that after the actual race coverage ends.

Also of interest:

1. They are sending the entire broadcast team to Monaco to cover the race!!! Austin, too.

2. Due to scheduling conflicts, the British and German Grands Prix will be shown on CNBC. :rolleyes:

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...lated/#content

http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51040773

Z//

drivinhard 03-14-2013 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zoxxo (Post 1583338889)
Pay close attention to their schedule as they are doing it a bit differently from the way Speed used to.

In addition to the practice sessions (they seem to be showing P1 and P2 but not P3,) qualifying and the race, they are also showing "The Grid" which I am assuming for now is the old "Mobil One: The Grid" from Speed, and they are showing a half-hour POST RACE show, "F1 Extra" so you DVR recorders need to provide ample time to catch that after the actual race coverage ends.

Also of interest:

1. They are sending the entire broadcast team to Monaco to cover the race!!! Austin, too.

2. Due to scheduling conflicts, the British and German Grands Prix will be shown on CNBC. :rolleyes:

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...lated/#content

http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51040773

Z//

:thumbs:

Milton Fox 03-14-2013 10:49 PM

There is also a 36 hours in the life of F1 drivers called F1 36, but I havent seen a broadcast time for any of them as of yet.

There will also be rebroadcasts of practice and qualifying right before this week ends live race broadcast and a rebroadcast of the race on Sunday afternoon.

Did anyone catch the Countdown to F1 yesterday. Dont know if it will be regular show, but they did a recap of 2012 and 10 segmet highlight on 2013.

:cheers:

Zoxxo 03-14-2013 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Milton Fox (Post 1583367399)
There is also a 36 hours in the life of F1 drivers called F1 36, but I havent seen a broadcast time for any of them as of yet.

The first one is on Vettel and the first airing is set for Friday, March 29 at 7 p.m. ET.

There will also be rebroadcasts of practice and qualifying right before this week ends live race broadcast and a rebroadcast of the race on Sunday afternoon.
My Tivo already has the next race (Malasia) scheduled and shows (at least for now) that the first day's coverage will be only one practice session (P1?) and then only qualifying the next day. So no P2 or P3. Reruns for sure, though. That's different from tonight's coverage which is running both P1 & P2 back to back (P1 is showing delayed.)

So it would seem that each race's coverage will/may differ some.

Did anyone catch the Countdown to F1 yesterday. Dont know if it will be regular show, but they did a recap of 2012 and 10 segmet highlight on 2013.
Missed that completely. :( I'll maintain hope that they'll show THAT again, too :)

Z//

93Polo 03-15-2013 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Zoxxo (Post 1583367739)
Missed that completely. :( I'll maintain hope that they'll show THAT again, too :)

Z//

They were showing it just about every day this week, you may want to check your listings. Decent show but if you keep up with the sport on line, I doubt you'll learn much.

Speed used to send their crew to the Indy for the USGP, good to hear they're going to Austin this year, and Monaco is a very :cool: addition. I'd like to see Steve in the paddock some during the race weekend.

Zoxxo 03-15-2013 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 93Polo (Post 1583369803)
They were showing it just about every day this week, you may want to check your listings. Decent show but if you keep up with the sport on line, I doubt you'll learn much.

I checked. I missed it. Meh.

Speed used to send their crew to the Indy for the USGP, good to hear they're going to Austin this year, and Monaco is a very :cool: addition. I'd like to see Steve in the paddock some during the race weekend.
The problem is that they rarely have given them enough air time to do it right. Sending them to Monaco is kind of "so what" if the network doesn't take real advantage of the fact. Just being able to say "we're actually here for once!" is a big "who cares?" in my book. They need to watch the BBC/Skye F1 coverage to get the idea. It's like night and day compared to our coverage. If they (NBC/Comcast) want to turn F1 into a money-generating viewership like NASCAR and NFL then they need to pony up and provide those viewers with something to watch and sponsors with something worth sponsoring.

And they have GOT to do something re: Diffey. I'm not sure I can go through 19 race weekends listening to him. :willy: Pray for Varsha...

Z//

Zoxxo 03-16-2013 02:15 PM

Qualifying rained out

For those interested...

The remainder of the rained-out qualifying (Q2 and Q3) will be shown tonight during the 9PM-10:30PM (Pacific time) period when they would have been showing the qualifying rerun prior to the race coverage. Check your listings

And it pleased me very much to have a nice Sam Posey piece in last night's qualifying show. So now the ONLY piece missing from the old Speed group is Varsha.

Z//

VetteDrmr 03-16-2013 02:18 PM

Z,

Thanks for the update. Q1 was, um, "unusual". :willy: Can't think of any time I've seen F1 cars spin, hit the wall, go to the pits for a new wing, and get right back out!

Have a good one,
Mike

Zoxxo 03-16-2013 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr (Post 1583380032)
Z,

Thanks for the update. Q1 was, um, "unusual". :willy: Can't think of any time I've seen F1 cars spin, hit the wall, go to the pits for a new wing, and get right back out!

All depends upon how you hit the wall :D

The wings are "disposable" (at a hefty price) and the chassis is seriously stout. The deciding factor is whether you damage the suspension or, worse, the suspension mounts on the chassis. Massa hit going straight in and at a low enough speed to leave the suspension undamaged. The odds are generally against that, however. :yesnod:

Z//

John Shiels 03-16-2013 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zoxxo (Post 1583380009)
For those interested...

The remainder of the rained-out qualifying (Q2 and Q3) will be shown tonight during the 9PM-10:30PM (Pacific time) period when they would have been showing the qualifying rerun prior to the race coverage. Check your listings

And it pleased me very much to have a nice Sam Posey piece in last night's qualifying show. So now the ONLY piece missing from the old Speed group is Varsha.

Z//

A minute before Sam came on I said to her I wonder if they will have Posey here too?

good I tape that too thanks for the heads up.

Zoxxo 03-16-2013 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by John Shiels (Post 1583380202)
A minute before Sam came on I said to her I wonder if they will have Posey here too?

I really like Posey's pieces. They offer a nice poetic take to what is a harsh, mechanical world.

good I tape that too thanks for the heads up.
To all who record F1 stuff. Always add a LOT of extra time to:
  • Qualifying. Last night's bit was a good example. Things were well past the scheduled time when they called off the remainer of qualifying.
  • The races. Any rain delay or big accident can easily push things beyond what the broadcaster had initially scheduled for (The Canadian GP a couple of years ago ran well past 4 hours!)
  • Any show that FOLLOWS qualifying or the race. See the new "F1 Extra" post-race show for example. If the race goes three hours then...

My standard OP is to add 1 hour to practice and qualifying and 2 hours to the races. Then the night before I check f1weather.com and adjust things as desired.

Z//

MNCrystalRed2011 03-16-2013 08:51 PM

Got it recorded. Thank you everyone for the reminder and updates.

Zoxxo 03-17-2013 04:54 AM

A good and interesting race!

And I had to laugh when Diffey said that next weekend, because he will be announcing the IndyCar race, the substitute for him on the F1 broadcast will be... Bob Varsha!! :rofl: Excellent!!

Z//

DVNTST8 03-17-2013 07:13 AM

It doesn't appear that NBCS will be showing the races live. Which sucks.

1991Z07 03-17-2013 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Zoxxo (Post 1583384946)
A good and interesting race!

And I had to laugh when Diffey said that next weekend, because he will be announcing the IndyCar race, the substitute for him on the F1 broadcast will be... Bob Varsha!! :rofl: Excellent!!

Z//

According to his Twitter, Varsha will be doing Malaysia, Belgium and Korea.
https://twitter.com/bobvarsha

Even SWEETER! :rock:

Zoxxo 03-17-2013 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by DVNTST8 (Post 1583385082)
It doesn't appear that NBCS will be showing the races live. Which sucks.

Not sure where you got that idea. Last night's race was shown live. Next week's race in Malaysia is scheduled for 4 PM local Malaysia time which is 4:00 AM Eastern which is exactly what NBCSportsNet shows as the time for their race coverage.

Here's NBC's schedule:
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/ra...p?series=FORM1

And here's where you can get the actual local (race track) times and covert them to your local time:
http://www.formula1.com/default.html

See the list of races? Click on one and on the race's page - on the right - are the times and the "convert to my local time" button. Use that to compare with what NBC is telling you.

Z//

Zoxxo 03-17-2013 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by 1991Z07 (Post 1583386507)
According to his Twitter, Varsha will be doing Malaysia, Belgium and Korea.

Which just further convinces me that Varsha will replace Diffey next year for the F1 races. Maybe even sooner once Speed goes away. Fingers crossed...

I wonder what channel is going to pick up Barrett-Jackson? :smash:

Z//

sperkins 03-17-2013 01:07 PM

Diffey's Nascar style shouting is extremely annoying to me. He'd be a good radio announcer, but that's about it IMO.