CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-parts-for-sale-wanted-53/)
-   -   Halo/Projector Group Buy $265 Shipped (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-parts-for-sale-wanted/3235317-halo-projector-group-buy-265-shipped.html)

Quik Z06 07-20-2013 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by mig1980 (Post 1584456252)
I have a question. I have had these installed for a few months. Why is it that my wife's Infiniti G37 and the Prius we have for commuting (with HIDs) produce much more light than these projectors and HID kit? The light output is not what I expected at all. Any thoughts?

Hard to compare factory HID's to oem. My CTS and 300 both have factory HID's and are much brighter than my aftermarket projectors. You went with 6k bulbs correct? I think you should try the 4300, they put out more light since they are much whiter.

mig1980 07-21-2013 02:16 AM

I did go with the 6000k. The thing is that the previous HID kit on my stock housings seem to put out much more light than this. I wouldn't want to go with 4300 since my fogs are 6000 as well.

tytek 07-21-2013 08:50 AM

AC vs DC, 35W vs 55W Ballasts:

"Both types of ballasts take the DC power from vehicles and power the HID bulbs for light. The difference in these ballasts is in the type of electricity being outputted to the HID bulb. AC ballasts output AC power, while DC ballasts output DC power. With AC ballasts, you can expect longer life in both bulbs and ballasts. Aside from that, AC ballast systems are brighter than DC ballast systems. With competition becoming so fierce in this industry, many manufacturers have given into DC ballast technology in order to lower their prices. Unlike our competitors, we still insist on AC ballasts to ensure proper life span, and most importantly, maximum light output!

When discussions occur about maximum light output with regards to Xenon HID systems, 55W ballasts become the hot topic. 55W ballasts truly provide more light output for the drivers (about 40% more), but the trade offs are too large to make this product practical. The largest downfall to this product is its short lifespan. Most 55W HID users will admit that they replace their bulbs at least once per year (some as quickly as each month).One of the main reasons it fails in such a short period is because the bulb itself 'burns' much hotter than a regular 35W HID bulb. This extra heat may cause issues for those with plastic lenses, projector lights, etc. Some people use the 55W ballasts to overcome the light out warning indicators on higher end vehicles, but this is not a guaranteed solution. In fact, most new vehicles with light out warning indicators will still produce error codes with 55W ballasts!"

You can always buy a higher quality HID kit (ex: Morimoto) and use that instead of the one that is included.

Does anyone have pics of the cutoff? The one pictures in one of the threads above looks pretty bad. Is the lens in this kit designed to work with an HID kit? Or is it just a regular halogen projector?

Quik Z06 07-21-2013 09:36 AM

^ FWIW we only use AC ballasts!

mig1980 07-21-2013 12:36 PM

I think your on to something tytek. I don't think the the projectors are very good quality and I don't think the HID kits are also the best quality. Not sure about the housing being made for an HID kit but I feel this kit has a lot of flaws. Do I have it working on my car...yes. Is it working the way I expected...no.

I notice that the HID kit I installed on my fogs from CorvetteMods produces much brighter output...and the light cut off is much better as well. Of course this may be due to the projector being better quality that the one with the kit and/or the HID being different quality as well. I don't enough about all of these kits to distinguish good from bad. All I can judge is what I see.

Suncityan 07-21-2013 02:37 PM

tytek,

Seeing this, "...we still insist on AC ballasts...", in your post I'm wondering who is "we" - one of the vendors on this forum?

I'm about to jump on this mod for my C5 and see many sets for sale from different vendors. Having as much info as possible to make the decision is important since I see sets ranging from around $300 all the way to around $700.

Maybe the most expensive set isn't the best or put another way, maybe the less expensive set will get the job done as well.

mig1980 07-21-2013 03:20 PM

My personal opinion is that all the housings that are from different vendors on this forum which have the halo ring around the low beam are all the same. Best price you can get is with this vendor unless you want the bixenon setup that RadioFlyer offers which I'm not sure is worth $600 (in my opinion).

tytek 07-21-2013 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Suncityan (Post 1584464053)
tytek,

Seeing this, "...we still insist on AC ballasts...", in your post I'm wondering who is "we" - one of the vendors on this forum?

I'm about to jump on this mod for my C5 and see many sets for sale from different vendors. Having as much info as possible to make the decision is important since I see sets ranging from around $300 all the way to around $700.

Maybe the most expensive set isn't the best or put another way, maybe the less expensive set will get the job done as well.

You can disregard the last sentence in that first paragraph in my post above. The quote I posted is from an unrelated site, and I was posting it to help explain the difference between AC and DC ballasts (thus the quote marks). And, since the vendor has already posted that their setup uses AC ones, it is a moot point in this case.

I would, however, like to see more pictures of the cutoff, light output (4.3k), and beam quality attained by this setup. It looks like plenty of forum members have purchased and installed it. Would someone mind taking a few quality pics to help others out who are on the fence?

For the price, it seems like a potentially nice improvement over the stock halogen reflectors. Without seeing the kit in person, and basing my opinion on just one picture from this thread, it is really hard to judge if its projector is optimal - I suppose that one can still modify the lens and setup by using an OEM Acura or Lexus lens (popular mod on various forums), to make this kit better. It will add to the cost, but the improvement may be worth it, if one drives a lot at night.

BTW, it was not my intention to discredit the kit or the seller, just looking for more info, before I spend the money on it. GLad the vendor is providing attractive pricing on this solution for us Vette owners... :thumbs:

Mr.Bill 07-21-2013 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by tytek (Post 1584461658)
AC vs DC, 35W vs 55W Ballasts:

"Both types of ballasts take the DC power from vehicles and power the HID bulbs for light. The difference in these ballasts is in the type of electricity being outputted to the HID bulb. AC ballasts output AC power, while DC ballasts output DC power. With AC ballasts, you can expect longer life in both bulbs and ballasts. Aside from that, AC ballast systems are brighter than DC ballast systems. With competition becoming so fierce in this industry, many manufacturers have given into DC ballast technology in order to lower their prices. Unlike our competitors, we still insist on AC ballasts to ensure proper life span, and most importantly, maximum light output!

When discussions occur about maximum light output with regards to Xenon HID systems, 55W ballasts become the hot topic. 55W ballasts truly provide more light output for the drivers (about 40% more), but the trade offs are too large to make this product practical. The largest downfall to this product is its short lifespan. Most 55W HID users will admit that they replace their bulbs at least once per year (some as quickly as each month).One of the main reasons it fails in such a short period is because the bulb itself 'burns' much hotter than a regular 35W HID bulb. This extra heat may cause issues for those with plastic lenses, projector lights, etc. Some people use the 55W ballasts to overcome the light out warning indicators on higher end vehicles, but this is not a guaranteed solution. In fact, most new vehicles with light out warning indicators will still produce error codes with 55W ballasts!"

You can always buy a higher quality HID kit (ex: Morimoto) and use that instead of the one that is included.

Does anyone have pics of the cutoff? The one pictures in one of the threads above looks pretty bad. Is the lens in this kit designed to work with an HID kit? Or is it just a regular halogen projector?

I have been running HID lights for years and have never lost a bulb, I have the small digital ballasts and never an issue, I have them in my lows, Highs and Fogs, 55w in my lows.
I think for the money they are a great item.

Quik Z06 07-26-2013 07:00 AM

Should have tracking tomorrow on new orders, only have a few of these left.

Quik Z06 07-31-2013 08:06 PM

Tracking sent on new orders :thumbs:

dangerz 08-01-2013 12:02 AM

Do you guys sell the 4200k? I think I got the 6000k. Any chance you can look up my order?

Quik Z06 08-01-2013 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by dangerz (Post 1584555068)
Do you guys sell the 4200k? I think I got the 6000k. Any chance you can look up my order?

Can you post pics of your lights. Your order was for 4200 and 55 watt if I remember correctly.

ITSQUIK 08-12-2013 06:17 PM

Sold

my-first-vette 08-13-2013 01:38 AM

I'll take them...:thumbs: Drove down from northern Id. last night, and had to drive way under the posted limit. A flash light out the window would have been just as good...send info.

directnosfogger 08-15-2013 12:31 PM

could someone take a picture of the backside of these projectors? i want to know the feasibility of cutting out the backs and retrofitting a good set of projectors.

chasboy 08-19-2013 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by directnosfogger (Post 1584678140)
could someone take a picture of the backside of these projectors? i want to know the feasibility of cutting out the backs and retrofitting a good set of projectors.

Interesting idea. I get email from a place that sells Morimotos.

directnosfogger 08-20-2013 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by chasboy (Post 1584705188)
Interesting idea. I get email from a place that sells Morimotos.

i've done a retro on a bike and a vehicle with a sealed beam housing previously. it would be great if i could actually just get the casing without anything inside of it.. i'm pretty confident it wouldn't be too hard of a project. i just want to see what the back looks like before i set sail.

the cheapest retro is with the rx330 projectors, tsx clear lenses with phillips ds2 burners. check out the retrofitsource.com. i've always gone through them and they are great to work with.

chasboy 08-20-2013 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by directnosfogger (Post 1584719305)
i've done a retro on a bike and a vehicle with a sealed beam housing previously. it would be great if i could actually just get the casing without anything inside of it.. i'm pretty confident it wouldn't be too hard of a project. i just want to see what the back looks like before i set sail.

the cheapest retro is with the rx330 projectors, tsx clear lenses with phillips ds2 burners. check out the retrofitsource.com. i've always gone through them and they are great to work with.

That's the place! I will look into it further.:thumbs:

my-first-vette 08-23-2013 11:52 AM

I just installed the light kit I purchased from itsquick, he ordered blk/4300, the box was labeled blk/6k. what do I have? also the lights work with my stock wiring, no issues, but was wondering if the light output would go up if I used the battery feed harness instead the stock wiring.