CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Car steers off coarse on acceleration. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3257450-car-steers-off-coarse-on-acceleration.html)

1976wanderlust 04-21-2013 12:15 PM

Car steers off coarse on acceleration.

Hi. I'm new to the forum, and new to vettes. My son, 17, just traded his Ford Ranger xlt, for a 1976 Stingray. He always wanted his "project car," now we have it. A lot of mods and refurb is already done, part of my biggest problem is determine what has been done, and what still needs to be done. Some background first.....

The guy we traded with had bought it a year ago, together with another project. The other project took up all his time, and the vette sat. He had completely disassembled the interior and reconditioned the floor and started on heat shielding and sound proofing. He did not pass on all the info which could help me identify what work was done to the engine. so my determination was visual and by ear/feel. Carpet is good, seats are custom, but needs dash top and LH, and weatherstripping. Otherwise, it is whole, just in boxes. So that speaks for itself. Where I am hung up for now, is steering related or front suspension only. It is drivable. Took it for a spin sitting on the workshop manual :-) lol. It steered OK, maybe a little wander, but when i put my foot down on the accelerator once, it pulled sharply right, then I corrected it. very touchy. Here's what has been done; new reconditioned differential (3.08) gears, new u-joints, new rear leaf spring and shocks and all new supports rear for differential, spring, etc., very tight and stiff.Car is stiff front and back, cannot depress front or rear significantly when pressing down on car, and I weigh 230lbs. I can't tell if the front shocks are also new, or what ey are. They are dark grey, and the stubby type. I'm almost wondering if they are 70/30 drag type, and my steering issue might be related to the front end weight transission and loosing significant wheel contact, even though I barely touched the gas, not wanting to spin out while sitting on a workshop manual.

Other new items; New fly wheel and 2700 torque converter, new tires back, newer front (Cooper Cobra 245's), new steering arm and bushings for that, but not everywhere else, engine has been pulled, sandblasted and powder coated,new Weiland Stealth intake and Edelbrock carb, new pullies, new chrome alternator, new water pump, new radiator housing, new fan, new radiator, Accel HEI distributor and super coil, new plug wires and new hoses. New 2 1/2 inch true dual exhaust and flow master inline mufflers. I'm going to have the dyno'd locally. No way this is stock. The car has primal, gut wrenching, asphalt chewing, balls to the walls power, but it is not a stroker engine ( almost certain), probable new cam, maybe bored over. Huge amount of tourque. i used to drive a 400 HP Porche, and this thing has serious balls. New master cylinder, new calipers and pads all the way around. So far I think my son got the car for free and just traded his truck for parts. Paint is in good shape, so/so shape. We have $5000 into it.

Where do we go from here?

my 76 ray 04-21-2013 12:51 PM

It sounds like everything in the rear has been replaced except for the trailing arm bushings. If there is play in those you will get the symptoms you described. If those are good, I would get the alignment checked. Rear wheel toe being out of spec (especially if it's toe out) can also cause it.

U17 04-21-2013 01:21 PM

"Search" is your friend in here.... New T/A bushings fixed it on mine...