CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Opinion of over stated enthusiasum. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3264891-opinion-of-over-stated-enthusiasum.html)

Evil-Twin 05-03-2013 07:48 PM

Opinion of over stated enthusiasum.

Over my time here, about 12 years, I've been underwhelmed many times by the use of the word " WOW ". To me the word WOW means something extraordinary, fantastic, not easily topped. People use the word "Wow" to describe all sorts of less than "wow" appropriate items, mods, stick on badges and brake ducts or their choice of a shift knob, air spray, or beverage cup holder. Because there are 150 different shift knobs available, the word " Wow " hardly would describe one over the other. So my question is, does it bother anyone else that the word Wow is used to describe a mediocre change in their C5? IM not trying to be mean, just point out that the word WoW should be reserved for something that is truly WOW appropriate. When I see the word Wow used to describe anything , I immediately dismiss that person's input and credibility as a reviewer of anything.
along these same lines, the phrase " Pull the trigger" also make me want to hurl. Talk about something that has been over played for the last ten years. OK, I'm venting.... you can hate me.

GP777 05-03-2013 07:54 PM

Wow....

JK

JaxEagle 05-03-2013 07:58 PM

I get your point but you have to take all internet/email/text with a grain of salt. It's hard to ever know what is really intended. One man's WOW may be another man's cool or nice or whatever.

It is very difficult to convey differences in emotion over text. Also, some people feel an obligation to make a positive comment regardless of what the post is. I think you just have to try to really get to know the members, in the virtual sense, and consider the source rather than translating it into the way that you use a certain term.

That said, I understand what you mean but it doesn't bother me. If someone who always makes similar comments posts his typical comment then it doesn't impress. However if it is the opposite type person then it carries a little more effect, that's for sure.

For me, I try to stay away from the cliches like WOW and when I really feel that way I will be specific and say something like "Wow, your choice to paint those wheels grey really worked out awesome on your blue car and really modernized your look." This way everyone know better how the comment was meant.

momo20 05-03-2013 08:01 PM

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps64a2e3bd.jpg

WOW!

JaxEagle 05-03-2013 08:01 PM

And... I am not sure what I said the other day about your interior but it really was a WOW, not a cliche WOW. I hope that didn't offend you as token comments.

CQRT 05-03-2013 08:01 PM

I dunno . . .I always thought 'HOLY $heit!' was more exclamatory than a simple 'Wow' in the remarkable department.

:toetap:

road pilot 05-03-2013 08:03 PM

I don't hate you....or anybody.
You need to stop thinking of the special words that people conjure
up--WOW etc...as sacred words only to be used in definitions
that you would use. Think like this....folks may not have as good
of vocabulary as you and that wow is as good as it gets for them.
Different people have different intellects and that is the way of the world. Except folks limitations and chill out. There are more pressing
problems in the world than how people express themselves.

DSTURBD 05-03-2013 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by road pilot (Post 1583808773)
I don't hate you....or anybody.
You need to stop thinking of the special words that people conjure
up--WOW etc...as sacred words only to be used in definitions
that you would use. Think like this....folks may not have as good
of vocabulary as you and that wow is as good as it gets for them.
Different people have different intellects and that is the way of the world. Except folks limitations and chill out. There are more pressing
problems in the world than how people express themselves.

Pardon me, but I think you meant "accept". :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

By the way, this is not addressed to you Roadpilot, but I get sick and tired of people ranting and raving at me because they were too busy building a woodie day-dreaming about the head cheerleader, to pay any attention during English Grammar class to be able to effectively express themselves!!!! Somehow this is my fault when I don't understand their "Deliverance" speech?!?!?!? "Boy, yoo no yu got a reel purty mouf!!!!"

DSTURBD

JaxEagle 05-03-2013 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by DSTURBD (Post 1583808828)
Pardon me, but I think you meant "accept". :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DSTURBD

No you did not :hide:

Evil-Twin 05-03-2013 08:38 PM

this was just suppose to be a discussion on the over use of the word wow.
with a slight caveat on the term " pull the trigger "
Nothing too deep, or earth shaking. Nothing sinister either.

DSTURBD 05-03-2013 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin (Post 1583809060)
this was just suppose to be a discussion on the over use of the word wow.
with a slight caveat on the term " pull the trigger "
Nothing too deep, or earth shaking. Nothing sinister either.

Sorry ET, I guess something just struck a nerve. Kinda like chewing tin foil on a filling!!!! :D :D :D Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread!!

DSTURBD

Jeff T. 05-03-2013 08:59 PM

When I found my 11 year old Corvette with under 2k on the odometer that was definitely a WOW moment for me.

And for a week now I open the garage door and take a look and every time my reaction is the same, WOW...

I think it fits! :D

Evil-Twin 05-03-2013 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by jptgs1 (Post 1583809219)
When I found my 11 year old Corvette with under 2k on the odometer that was definitely a WOW moment for me.

And for a week now I open the garage door and take a look and every time my reaction is the same, WOW...

I think it fits! :D

it does fit... its not everyday you can find an 11 year old C5 with 2K on the ( what ever that is ) but its not a clock .. LOL.
There are times when Wow is very appropriate, but for many, changing their underwear is a wow moment.:D

c5vetteguy 05-03-2013 09:04 PM

ET, flashback to 1 or two years into your first experience with working on the C5. I'll bet there were a few wows going on back then. Some of us are still new to the game. :flag:

DevilDog II 05-03-2013 09:12 PM

I like the word WOW because when it's spelled backwards it's WOW, and when I'm standing on my head it's MOM. :D

Evil-Twin 05-03-2013 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy (Post 1583809264)
ET, flashback to 1 or two years into your first experience with working on the C5. I'll bet there were a few wows going on back then. Some of us are still new to the game. :flag:

Oh I have had lots of wow moments in my career. I try to share a few of those from time to time here over the last 12 years.

strand rider 05-03-2013 10:25 PM

I'm with ya man, because too much WOW can cause anal leakage.

I sometimes lament the lost art of conversation. Today, artfulness in expression is not often considered. It has become less important as things speed up.

And then some folks just have low skills in this area , even as an adult. Hopefully the skill set is higher when working on the car.

8VETTE7 05-03-2013 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin (Post 1583808661)
Over my time here, about 12 years, I've been underwhelmed many times by the use of the word " WOW ". To me the word WOW means something extraordinary, fantastic, not easily topped. People use the word "Wow" to describe all sorts of less than "wow" appropriate items, mods, stick on badges and brake ducts or their choice of a shift knob, air spray, or beverage cup holder. Because there are 150 different shift knobs available, the word " Wow " hardly would describe one over the other. So my question is, does it bother anyone else that the word Wow is used to describe a mediocre change in their C5? IM not trying to be mean, just point out that the word WoW should be reserved for something that is truly WOW appropriate. When I see the word Wow used to describe anything , I immediately dismiss that person's input and credibility as a reviewer of anything.
along these same lines, the phrase " Pull the trigger" also make me want to hurl. Talk about something that has been over played for the last ten years. OK, I'm venting.... you can hate me.

WOW

OK We HATE YOU!!! We pulled the trigger finally!

Are you happy now!!!!!

jrose7004 05-03-2013 11:19 PM

I don't really let the forum get to me much. When it starts to get on my nerves I stay off for a few days. Mostly I use it for information and for a mindless diversion.

jdot 05-04-2013 12:03 AM

The last time I said wow was when I first saw the girl I would eventually marry. I thought this site was about Corvettes and appreciation of same no matter which part of the car was at issue. All the parts come together to create a perfect artform we all appreciate and worked to own.