CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Questions about the new Michelin PSS-ZP (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3266770-questions-about-the-new-michelin-pss-zp.html)

*C7* 05-07-2013 07:27 AM

Questions about the new Michelin PSS-ZP

1. Is this the 1st PSS that is ZP?

2. Are all ZP PSS going to be this "new improved" compound?

3. Is the new compound going to be available on the non ZP tires?

I would have thought they would have given the new compound tire a new name to avoid confusion. But then again I may be the only one that is confused.

I sure hope the are much improved over the current PSS at the track.:thumbs::thumbs:

Gearhead Jim 05-07-2013 12:44 PM

And another question:

Is the "new improved" compound "improved" in a way we will appreciate? Even the Supercar tires on the C6 Z51 had a rolling resistance (MPG) spec they had to meet, and probably a cost target. Requirements like that tend to work against getting the tire most of us would want.

Of course, anything from Michelin seems to be a big improvement over the Goodyears...

JoesC5 05-07-2013 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by *C7* (Post 1583834469)

I would have thought they would have given the new compound tire a new name to avoid confusion. But then again I may be the only one that is confused.

I sure hope the are much improved over the current PSS at the track.:thumbs::thumbs:

from what I have read, the PSS used on the Z51 is a different tire than the PSS used on the base C7(in addition to different sizes, 19" vs 20"). The PSS used on the Z51 has a different rubber compound and a different tread pattern, from what I understand.

Thus I suspect that the PSS tires on the C7 are different from the PSS tires now on the market(in addition to the run flat feature).

ZL-1 05-07-2013 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by *C7* (Post 1583834469)

The 18/19 version has "new improved" compound for low rolling resistance, 1G capability, wet traction, and a 300 treadwear rating

The 19/20 version has "new improved" dual compound for outstanding track performance.... LRR and treadwear are not mentioned.

Can anybody tell us why these two totally different tires have the same name?

Gearhead Jim 05-07-2013 02:10 PM

Marketing.