CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Just curious; Why the negativity toward the oem GY's (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3269063-just-curious-why-the-negativity-toward-the-oem-gys.html)

red2012 05-10-2013 08:28 PM

Just curious; Why the negativity toward the oem GY's

I'm on my second vette in the last 18 months ( new '12 coupe, new '13 GS ) and I don't seem to find the GY'S all that bad. I took the oem's off the coupe after 17k miles and they still had a good 75% left. When the weather was warm enough in N.Y. for the tires to be useful I thought they did a good job. After all they are a summer performance tire and I would not expect them to perform in anything but that environment. I did put super sports on at the 17k mark but that was to see what all the rage about the Michelin's was about. Although they did grip a little better than the GY's I still would have no problem with the GY's. Now today was around 80 degrees in N.Y. and it was really the first warm day since I got the '13 GS ( I bought it one month ago today from Tommy Jr. ) and I tell ya that thing really grabbed on some spirited driving. I launched the car once today ( my first launch with this car ) and it took off really well with out hardly any wheel hop. So do you guys not like the tire wear the grip or what gripes do you have for the GY's. Inquiring minds want to know.

vettn71 05-10-2013 08:38 PM

I think it's safe to say that 90 to 95% of GS owners don't see close to 17k on their tires. I got 10k and three tires were toast and one that was barely serviceable. In general, they ride rough, wear fast and are noisy. If you're happy with yours, that's great.:cheers:

My experience has not been nearly that positive

Jim

pewter99 05-10-2013 08:42 PM

because they suck in comparison to just about everything else :lol:

BWF07 05-10-2013 08:47 PM

Low mileage ware factor, noisy, hard riding and not good in cold weather and I live in Florida.

RLSebring 05-10-2013 08:54 PM

All the above plus the Michelins were the same and cheaper in comparison. So far I really like the PS ZP's

I've ran 4 or 5 sets of SuperCars and wore them out at around 15,000 miles.

billyboy47 05-10-2013 08:59 PM

i have the a6, coupe, so i gotta ask, what's with this launch thing with the m6? my nephew has it on his 012 ss camaro but never did explain it to me. if your taking off at a fast speed won't that put wear on the rubber? if so, why the hell would you? unless you guy's don't mind keeping gy and michelin in business.:ack:

fastskyline 05-10-2013 09:05 PM

If you had 75% tread left after 17k miles, then they are just fine for your driving style gramps!

SK360 05-10-2013 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by billyboy47 (Post 1583868782)
i have the a6, coupe, so i gotta ask, what's with this launch thing with the m6? my nephew has it on his 012 ss camaro but never did explain it to me. if your taking off at a fast speed won't that put wear on the rubber? if so, why the hell would you? unless you guy's don't mind keeping gy and michelin in business.:ack:

Because these cars are meant to be driven hard? Waste of a good car taking it to get donuts on Sundays and car shows.

Steve_R 05-10-2013 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by pewter99 (Post 1583868627)
because they suck in comparison to just about everything else :lol:

Well said.

AORoads 05-10-2013 09:26 PM

I can't speak to GS, but Goodyears, I've had. And, I guess unlike others, I actually see some value in them. They're not the best but they are not awful considering their limited temperature and time of year limitations. Some Michelins and other brands are a bit (or a lot) more wide-band insofar as when you can use them safely, grip, noise, cost, lifespan, etc.

billyboy47 05-10-2013 09:29 PM

when i had my 67 big block i still had respect for the car. why the hell would i drive it hard? that car got my donuts faster than your car, for sure. it's called "pride" when driving a vette, any vette. and i was only 23 when i had the 67, just not rowdy.

billyboy47 05-10-2013 09:31 PM

you hit it on the head dickweed, i am a grandfather.

SK360 05-10-2013 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by billyboy47 (Post 1583869021)
when i had my 67 big block i still had respect for the car. why the hell would i drive it hard? that car got my donuts faster than your car, for sure. it's called "pride" when driving a vette, any vette. and i was only 23 when i had the 67, just not rowdy.

Sounds like a waste of time then. Why own a badass car if you drive it like an old man? Ill show you my pride with the hammer down.

Might as well be driving a Plymouth prowler.... Then you can look cool and be slow all the time.

raspyc6 05-10-2013 09:35 PM

The OEM GY's were equivalent to the slate granite rollers that Fred Flinstone made famous. Horrible tires and I said as much after 5miles of ownership. I went non-RF with Pilot Super Sports and all this said I know GY can do a better job.

HalfMoon 05-10-2013 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1583868509)
I'm on my second vette in the last 18 months ( new '12 coupe, new '13 GS ) and I don't seem to find the GY'S all that bad. I took the oem's off the coupe after 17k miles and they still had a good 75% left. When the weather was warm enough in N.Y. for the tires to be useful I thought they did a good job. After all they are a summer performance tire and I would not expect them to perform in anything but that environment. I did put super sports on at the 17k mark but that was to see what all the rage about the Michelin's was about. Although they did grip a little better than the GY's I still would have no problem with the GY's. Now today was around 80 degrees in N.Y. and it was really the first warm day since I got the '13 GS ( I bought it one month ago today from Tommy Jr. ) and I tell ya that thing really grabbed on some spirited driving. I launched the car once today ( my first launch with this car ) and it took off really well with out hardly any wheel hop. So do you guys not like the tire wear the grip or what gripes do you have for the GY's. Inquiring minds want to know.

There are 2 different OE Goodyear tires, so which do you have? Most people will think they are fine until they get a real tire on the car for some time.

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1583868672)
Low mileage ware factor, noisy, hard riding and not good in cold weather and I live in Florida.

+1 (but in California). At 10k my Gen2's were shot, but at 7k they were slippery and loud.

Originally Posted by raspyc6 (Post 1583869085)
The OEM GY's were equivalent to the slate granite rollers that Fred Flinstone made famous. Horrible tires and I said as much after 5miles of ownership. I went non-RF with Pilot Super Sports and all this said I know GY can do a better job.

I went with these tires too, love them. I've had them on 3 cars now and they perform great in wet, dry, cold or hot.

red2012 05-10-2013 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by fastskyline (Post 1583868838)
If you had 75% tread left after 17k miles, then they are just fine for your driving style gramps!

If your insinuating for me to abuse my car that ain't gonna happen. I'm not gonna be like some 22 year old idiot floor boarding from stop light to stop light and taking every turn 90 mph. But I do drive the car spiritedly when the occasion arises.

FAUEE 05-10-2013 09:53 PM

I've had 4 sets of Goodyear tires on different vehicles, and only one set was worth a ****. The most recent ones were Forteras on my Grand Cherokee, and they were actually decent. The rest of the tires wore out prematurely, broke belts, had **** for traction, and were kidding my a screw that was maybe 4mm in length. Those were all relatively tame passenger car tires. IMO, if a company can't get passenger tires right, I'm not trusting them with sports car tires.

All 3 of our vehicles have Michelin tires, and I couldn't be happier about it.

simplegto 05-10-2013 10:02 PM

Noise! 10k miles they sound like a dump truck. If you could rotate every 5k miles they would be ok but you can't.

red2012 05-10-2013 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by HalfMoon (Post 1583869191)
There are 2 different OE Goodyear tires, so which do you have? Most people will think they are fine until they get a real tire on the car for some time.

I have whatever comes on a '13 GS. Like I said I had the super sports on my '12 coupe after I took off the oem GY's and while they offered some better grip I wouldn't consider them earth shattering performance. As a matter of fact to me they rode hard and for my GF to notice the difference in ride quality ( she mentioned it without me even telling her I changed tires ) something must have been rattling our asses in the seat.

billyboy47 05-10-2013 10:03 PM

well said. i bet fastskyline weaves in and out of traffic on rt.80 because he thinks he's cool. i laugh at people like him. take the car on the track where it's supposed to be if you want to drive it hard. me, i'll cruise around in mine and get the full enjoyment out of mine. signed, gramps