CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Is it worth double the price..... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3269093-is-it-worth-double-the-price.html)

vig1116 05-10-2013 09:22 PM

Is it worth double the price.....

For a halltech killer bee CAI ($500) over a vararam vr-sc1 ($265)????

sevinn 05-10-2013 11:34 PM

I think the answers you receive will depend upon what the posters have purchased if I'm honest.

child_of_fire 05-11-2013 01:20 AM

what other industry can yeild 500 dollars from the sale of plastic parts? your vehicle is already equipped with an intake that GM engineers designed for your performance car.

vig1116 05-11-2013 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by SEVINN (Post 1583870113)
I think the answers you receive will depend upon what the posters have purchased if I'm honest.

That makes sense. Just wanted to hear what people thought....

vig1116 05-11-2013 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by child_of_fire (Post 1583870557)
what other industry can yeild 500 dollars from the sale of plastic parts? your vehicle is already equipped with an intake that GM engineers designed for your performance car.

I know, but I love DIY stuff, and that's usually the first (or one of) mod us diy'ers do.... I don't need the gains, but it'll be a fun couple of hours changing out the stock.... I'm leaning towards the vararam.

Rathmullan 05-11-2013 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by vig1116 (Post 1583870573)
I know, but I love DIY stuff, and that's usually the first (or one of) mod us diy'ers do.... I don't need the gains, but it'll be a fun couple of hours changing out the stock.... I'm leaning towards the vararam.

I do to and for some reason we'd all like to think that our car is a tenth of a second faster in the 1/4 mile or around the track. But when it comes to air intake I really do think we need to "first, do no harm". That is, do these after market systems allow in enough particulate matter that it will end up reducing performance/engine life longer term? Don't think I'm interested in that trade off, at least until I get paid for racing.

child_of_fire 05-11-2013 02:31 AM

i know what you mean. its very satisfying to do your own mods. even if they only serve to add peace of mind.:cheers:

Andrew6@TheDoubleAA 05-11-2013 04:47 AM

I have a vararam in mine and love it.

New Corvette Guy 05-11-2013 04:53 AM

Just installed a Vararam and love it. Works great.

REDC4CORVETTE 05-11-2013 06:34 AM

I still have stock but I have never seen an avid track 1/4 mile car give results just adding the intake.Just from what i have read so far, I think I would have to go with the vararam,their BS seems to be the best.:D

speedraider 05-11-2013 07:43 AM

I had the killer bee. I bought it used on here for $125 or $150 and sold it for $125. I would go with the vararam vr-sc1 just because it uses cold air and the killer bee doesn't. Your in Jersey, I'd go straight to ECS and get a blower installed

richietables 05-11-2013 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rathmullan (Post 1583870610)
I do to and for some reason we'd all like to think that our car is a tenth of a second faster in the 1/4 mile or around the track. But when it comes to air intake I really do think we need to "first, do no harm". That is, do these after market systems allow in enough particulate matter that it will end up reducing performance/engine life longer term? Don't think I'm interested in that trade off, at least until I get paid for racing.

Cool to do this kind of mod, I did it first thing on my WRX...

Got a better breathing sound, MPG went down and no real power gains until way up in the RPM range where I hardly ever could drive. I went back to stock...

I'm convinced to leave well enough alone on the Corvette.

"first, do no harm...":rock:

DOUG @ ECS 05-11-2013 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by speedraider (Post 1583871173)
I had the killer bee. I bought it used on here for $125 or $150 and sold it for $125. I would go with the vararam vr-sc1 just because it uses cold air and the killer bee doesn't. Your in Jersey, I'd go straight to ECS and get a blower installed

I like your thinking. :lol:

More realistically we can tune your car for the new intake too though. :thumbs:

vig1116 05-11-2013 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by speedraider (Post 1583871173)

let's not get carried away! I can swing a couple hundred past the wife, a blower would get me killed.... :rofl:

not08crmanymore 05-11-2013 10:04 AM

Yea.money would be better spent at ECS for a tune. Those intakes can't do anything better then your OEM one...but if I had to make a choice,it would be VARARAM all day long for reasons already mentioned.Again,you don't need either if you get a good tune,which 500 should cover with some change back!Here's the thing..OEM BASE good for 436 HP,Z06 FILTER= 505,ZR1- 638.How exactly do you think you can do better then that with anything out there???Get a tune.Headers,supercharger...:D

irok 05-11-2013 10:12 AM

my car with the Vararam went 3/10's quicker if that would affect your decision.

Boomer111 05-11-2013 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore (Post 1583871931)
Yea.money would be better spent at ECS for a tune. Those intakes can't do anything better then your OEM one...but if I had to make a choice,it would be VARARAM all day long for reasons already mentioned.Again,you don't need either if you get a good tune,which 500 should cover with some change back!Here's the thing..OEM BASE good for 436 HP,Z06 FILTER= 505,ZR1- 638.How exactly do you think you can do better then that with anything out there???Get a tune.Headers,supercharger...:D

:iagree:

I got 25 rwhp just from a tune on stock motor.

No CAI will give you this gain, and poorer filtration will be experienced as well as other possible problems.

Been there done it and back to oem filter system.

DarkRedMenace 05-11-2013 10:13 AM

I had the vararam on my C5 vette it was great but the only thing I noticed was when it rained the filter got water and didn't breath well. Not that I drive in the rain alot of anything just a few tiems got stuck driving from buffalo to syracuse new york.

I have the halltech mf103 on my ls3 08 and I did notice a loss in torque at the low end BUT i'm getting my tune from Doug@ECS monday may 20th..... I'll let you know how I do!

not08crmanymore 05-11-2013 10:29 AM

my car with the Vararam went 3/10's quicker if that would affect your decision.
...and that is right on target with VARARAM,which is why I would go with that rather then any other big filter were I swapping,but I'm not.Been there,one that.Nowadays,I find joy in just cutting a hole or 3 in the baffle around the air filter intake for cooler air.:D

vig1116 05-11-2013 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore (Post 1583871931)

i agree with you BUT, i have a 2006 coupe. The filter assembly on the 06 is a lot different than the 08's and newer. The 2 filters set wide apart from each other, i think defeats productivity. The flow should be smooth and direct, no? Heck, i remember with my '02 ws6 the smooth bellow was a big deal because the ripples in the stock one affected the air flow :willy: lol I know it's minimal and i'm not a racer so it's not a big deal, but i definitely feel it's crap in a '06 corvette....

EDIT: But the more i read from you guys about filtration and water entry makes me think i should just stick with stock, OR is it possible/feasible to put a newer stock intake on my '06 to get rid of the two filter setup and go with one direct flow???