CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Coupe vs Convertible (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3276960-coupe-vs-convertible.html)

Jaguarmaven 05-24-2013 02:16 PM

Coupe vs Convertible

As I continue my search for a C6, I keep oscillating back and forth between the two models. I have owned both types of cars...my 60 and 63 were convertibles and my 77 was a t top coupe. Both of my E Types are rdstrs. For me, I enjoy the open air feeling of the convertible over the open roof coupes. I don't think that they are the same driving experience. However, as I get older, I find myself using the a/c more and more often and the top down driving less often. Also, as I have sat in both cars, there is a lot more usable room in the coupe. So, I tend to think that I am leaning towards the coupe at the this time. Maybe I'm just getting old but the coupe tends to make more sense right now. Anyone else have similar feelings towards the coupe vs convertible issue?

Dan

Jcrumpley 05-24-2013 02:23 PM

I recently sold my daily driver 2007 coupe with 70k miles on it and bought a 2012 convertible. Other than trunk space, I greatly prefer the convertible. In a C6 having the top down on a convertible is very different than having the top removed on a coupe. The convertible is much more pleasant to drive top down than the coupe was with the top off.

lonnyh 05-24-2013 02:28 PM

I have the convertible GS now, and when I trade I will go with the coupe. My reasons are
1. you can't track the convertible without a cage, even for just weekend fun runs.
2. The convertibles are noisy (road noise) even with the top up.
3. I think the stereos sound nicer in the coupes because of the added interior room you mentioned.
4. The last is connected with the first, why do you think they insist on a roll cage at tracks???? Because if you accidentally roll it you will probably bang your head pretty hard. They should at least have the single roll bar behind driver and passenger. Hope this helps.

Jimmy52 05-24-2013 02:30 PM

This my 3rd Vette and it's also a convertible as were the others. For me living in Clearwater/Dunedin Florida it's PERFECT. I'm not a coupe guy, and love the top down. Age has nothing to do with it. Also, if's it's worth anything, a convertible has a better resale value than a coupe. (at least here in Florida). good luck on your choice!:thumbs:

trading tiger 05-24-2013 02:41 PM

I went with the coupe because it's the best of both worlds. With the top up, the convertible looks...less than good. The coupe looks great with the roof on, and just as good with the roof off and you get a semi-convertible feel. It was an easy choice for me.

Scuba Ghost 05-24-2013 02:49 PM

I went with a coupe. I have had other vehicles that were convertibles and they were noisy and were prown to leaks.
Plus I think a Vette looks better in the coupe version.

HarleyB 05-24-2013 02:53 PM

I had a Corvette convertible and loved it. I went with the coupe for the versatility.

• painted roof on*
• painted roof off
• transparent roof on* (no QD sun blocker installed)
• transparent roof on (QD sun blocker installed)
• transparent roof off
• LOTS of luggage capacity

*2 different roof panels: two different "looks"

RODXL1200 05-24-2013 02:57 PM

I have had a coupe, Z06 and two Convertibles, my latest being the 2013 427 convertible. In So Cal I ride with the top down alot and love every minute of it. When I owned the coupe I rarely took the top off because it was a pain putting it off and on. The z06 was great but without the top off ability. I now have the best of both worlds. Not a track guy so that part did not matter to me. Not to mention sitting in the car and pushing a button to remove the top is awesome.

carsangelop 05-24-2013 03:00 PM

With the top in the hatch area wouldnt the cargo space go close to zero? Just asking we have a vert

Rich Mickol 05-24-2013 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by carsangelop (Post 1583982439)
With the top in the hatch area wouldnt the cargo space go close to zero? Just asking we have a vert

No not really but you can only access the space from behind the front seats. You can still get some stuff in underneath the top but height is restricted.

JJPonzini 05-24-2013 03:14 PM

You can store a lot under the roof.

Jaguarmaven 05-24-2013 03:15 PM

Not zero space, but yes..the top does occupy a lot of room. I guess if you want an open car and a lot or trunk space, you'd need a 74 Caddy Eldorado. I'm hoping to also get a 67 convertible or a nice driver C1 for the open air days. I guess that there isn't an car that does it all, so like most things in life, you have to compromise {a little}.

Dan

C6_Mike 05-24-2013 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol (Post 1583982519)
No not really but you can only access the space from behind the front seats. You can still get some stuff in underneath the top but height is restricted.

you can fit a good amount under the top, we've gone grocery shopping in the vette with the top off and in the back a few times.

To answer the OP's question, its all personal preference, there's no wrong answer

Don-Vette 05-24-2013 03:17 PM

If your not a vert guy, don't buy one. I prefer a coupe and would never buy a vert. You either like convertibles or you don't there is no debate IMO it's a personal preference that only you can know. Not us.

R0NIN 05-24-2013 03:17 PM

When I bought my coupe about 5 months ago... I thought I would never take the top off (and was a little bearish of verts in general)...

The reality of the situation is that I take the targa top off practically everyday now... It's such an awesome experience with the sound of the engine and my new suntan! My next vette will probably be a vert...

HarleyB 05-24-2013 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol (Post 1583982519)

Not really, you simply lift up the back of the stored roof panel and put stuff underneath. Quite a bit of room left and EASY to get to.

FlyerVette 05-24-2013 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Don-Vette (Post 1583982542)
If your not a vert guy, don't buy one. I prefer a coupe and would never buy a vert. You either like convertibles or you don't there is no debate IMO it's a personal preference that only you can know. Not us.

:iagree: He nails it........Comes down to personal preference.

Willytrash 05-24-2013 04:04 PM

Love the convertibles, especially with the top down. My last three were convertibles. I went with a coupe this time just for a change. A little more practicle, a little nicer looking then a top up convertible. IMHO. And a little more luggage space. The real deciding factor was the wife is madly in love with her Schnauzers and want's to take them along. Can't do it with a convertible, well they could go in the trunk but then I'd be in the dog house then.

SirVenox 05-24-2013 04:17 PM

I see I'm the only one who likes the vert with the top up :D. I like the style, like the c5 hard top. Ussually I used it with the top up but sometimes, when I ride it top down, it feels like a new different car. Awesome!:yesnod:

richietables 05-24-2013 04:24 PM

Coupe for me for the versatility. I like the lines, too.... You can still get quite a lot of stuff in the back storing the roof...

Personal preference, though...:cheers: