CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   How to recognize a real 1963 coupe ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3277399-how-to-recognize-a-real-1963-coupe.html)

Mjolitor 68 05-25-2013 11:26 AM

How to recognize a real 1963 coupe ?

Need to research these before I buy

Other than the split window what other details are unique to the 63 coupes?

Thnx

biggd 05-25-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68 (Post 1583988199)

Thnx

Front window full stainless trim.

b_pappy 05-25-2013 11:47 AM

The 63 is very unique in many areas, having one year only parts. I suggest picking up a copy of Corvette Black Book and reading it first.
Bruce

wmf62 05-25-2013 11:54 AM

wow, they're counterfeiting 63 coupes?????
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Bill

Ironcross 05-25-2013 12:12 PM

A coupe without the double rear window or {split} does not necessarily mean its not a 63 coupe.....If that happens to be your belief, your wrong as many were cut out and replaced with 64 windows ......including mine

but the phony side vents is another 63 only part easily seen as is the hood

Nowhere Man 05-25-2013 12:37 PM

The vin number

wonderful 05-25-2013 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1583988768)
The vin number

:iagree: Faking the serial number is a criminal offense.

MikeM 05-25-2013 04:15 PM

There's probably a couple of hundred different things you could look for to verify a '63 car. If you have to ask, I'd suffest you take someone with you that knows what he is looking at.

OldKarz 05-25-2013 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 1583989942)
There's probably a couple of hundred different things you could look for to verify a '63 car. If you have to ask, I'd suffest you take someone with you that knows what he is looking at.

:iagree: Great advice! :thumbs:

jrm5657 05-25-2013 05:50 PM

Just off the top of my head, some of the easy to spot unique 63 only items are:

Coupe doors & stainless trim
Windshield trim
Steering column
Steering wheel
Gauges
Clock
Parking brake system
Spare tire carrier
Hubcaps
Headlight buckets
Seats
Console
Glove box door
Hood
Hood inserts
Rear Windows and trim (obviously!)
Gas Lid
Master Cylinder
Frame
Exhaust mount
Core support
Floor pan (early cars)
Radio (early cars)

Many other parts are date coded and would take a little more work to determine proper 63 date code.

As previously stated, if you don't know what you are looking at, better have somebody with you that does.

DansYellow66 05-26-2013 05:36 AM

What are your plans for this future 63 Corvette? You don't sound like a real knowledgable C2 guy who grew up with these cars and knows what you would be getting into. If you admire 63-67 Corvettes in general and are looking primarily for a driving experience and not a restoration project or a survivor-car care project, there are better choices for a novice than a 63. The 63 is generally an expensive car and many of the parts for them were one-year only, in some cases nearly hand fit and can be expensive if even available, . The later year cars also generally make a little better driver because they have improved body mounts, improved brakes from 65 on, and GM build quality and fit typically got better from year to year. A 64 car is typically a little less money and has some improvements (but not brakes) and is not as hard to find parts for. The 65 to 67 cars have disc brakes and parts avaiability is even better yet.

he 63 is great car, a milestone car, but one probably best purchased by someone with a lot of Corvette knowledge and willing to live with a few of it's early development traits.

Mike Terry 05-26-2013 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68 (Post 1583988199)

Thnx

You guys ever think that someone is pulling your chain? Here is a guy who has belonged to the Corvette Forum starting back in 1999 who has owned or still owns a Z06 and he knows nothing about a 63 SWC? If he belongs to a Corvette club or has ever gone to a Corvette car show I think he should know more then he is putting on that he knows. I think he is pulling everyones chain, just to see what kind of response he will get from the C2 group. I think if he has been a member that long and drives a Z06 Corvette he knows more about a SWC and C2 Vettes then he is putting on:eek:. Hell my grandson is 13 almost 14 and going by what this guy has put out my grandson should write a book on SWC for this guy :yesnod:. Besides you notice he has not come back to respond:D.Sorry but I don't waste my time trying to help someone about C1 or C2 questions if I think they are yanking our chain. Think about it. That is my $0.05 worth.

HHZ06 05-26-2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Terry (Post 1583993795)
You guys ever think that someone is pulling your chain? Here is a guy who has belonged to the Corvette Forum starting back in 1999 who has owned or still owns a Z06 and he knows nothing about a 63 SWC? If he belongs to a Corvette club or has ever gone to a Corvette car show I think he should know more then he is putting on that he knows. I think he is pulling everyones chain, just to see what kind of response he will get from the C2 group. I think if he has been a member that long and drives a Z06 Corvette he knows more about a SWC and C2 Vettes then he is putting on:eek:. Hell my grandson is 13 almost 14 and going by what this guy has put out my grandson should write a book on SWC for this guy :yesnod:. Besides you notice he has not come back to respond:D.Sorry but I don't waste my time trying to help someone about C1 or C2 questions if I think they are yanking our chain. Think about it. That is my $0.05 worth.

I think he is retaliating for the C2 guys heckling the C7 guys...:leaving:

Procrastination Racing 05-26-2013 01:53 PM

The vin number

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, I doubt anyone is faking '63 coupes on another car.

Oh wait!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...-split-001.jpg

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...ike-a-car.html

:rofl:

wonderful 05-26-2013 07:00 PM

Windshield trim
Steering column
Steering wheel
Gauges
Clock
Parking brake system
Spare tire carrier
Hubcaps
Headlight buckets
Seats
Console
Glove box door
Hood
Hood inserts
Gas Lid
Master Cylinder
Frame
Exhaust mount
Core support
Floor pan (early cars)
Radio (early cars)

Many other parts are date coded and would take a little more work to determine proper 63 date code.

As previously stated, if you don't know what you are looking at, better have somebody with you that does.[/QUOTE]
Don't forget the Emergency Brake Cable Lever welded to the frame-Something that a lot of people miss.

Dougs63 05-26-2013 11:11 PM

The vin number

The VIN Number has a unique character that indicates if the car is a coupe or convertible. Its not unheard of to find that a '63 SWC has a '63 Convt. VIN tag.

Be aware that there are quite a few '63 SWC's out there missing a lot of the high-dollar parts (wheels, hubcaps, glove box, gages, clocks, headlights, etc.), if originality is important to you. You'll find quite a few of these part have been replaced with later year, more common components.

DansYellow66 05-27-2013 06:20 AM

:toetap:Mjoliter 68 has apparently left the building.

sub006 05-28-2013 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing (Post 1583995881)

Oh wait!

A '67 "split" is the best of both worlds ultimate C2 in many ways! :thumbs:

magicv8 05-28-2013 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing (Post 1583995881)

Oh wait!

The next time someone tells me that his father/brother/uncle had a 66 or 67 split window, I promise not to laugh.

1KULC7 05-28-2013 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jrm5657 (Post 1583990436)
Just off the top of my head, some of the easy to spot unique 63 only items are:

Windshield trim
Steering column
Steering wheel
Gauges
Clock
Parking brake system
Spare tire carrier
Hubcaps
Headlight buckets
Seats
Console
Glove box door
Hood
Hood inserts
Gas Lid
Master Cylinder
Frame
Exhaust mount
Core support
Floor pan (early cars)
Radio (early cars)

As previously stated, if you don't know what you are looking at, better have somebody with you that does.

Where the door handles and lock are locked the area below are elevated do not sit flush on the door..