CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Never realized this would happen so much in a Vette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3294668-never-realized-this-would-happen-so-much-in-a-vette.html)

C6ROLLER 06-25-2013 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Hameister (Post 1584240129)
Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but owning a 'vette, most any 'vette, makes the statement, that you have nothing to prove.

It's common knowledge that you're the fastest badass out there...game over!

Not sure about you guys but where I live I'm faster than 85% of the cars I see on the road...don't understand why a few got tickled by the post above, we all know there's always someone faster...but there is truth in the statement that owning a vette makes a statement, one that says you are faster than the average...thus we have people/idiots wanting there shot at the title...of course when I see a BMW, Audi, Mustang or even a Subuaru WRX or Mistubishi Evo revving up on me I know there's always a chance they're modded and will smoke my a$$... common car guy knowledge...

bladex10 06-25-2013 11:29 AM

Whats wrong with acknowledging other car guys out on the road? I can understand not racing but some of you Corvette owners have a really stuck up attitude like no other cars matter. Corvette is a performance car just like Mustangs, Camaros, Evos, STI, 350z etc.

Hameister 06-25-2013 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by C6ROLLER (Post 1584242865)
.... I know there's always a chance they're modded and will smoke my a$$... common car guy knowledge...

There is a guy who lives about 1/2 mile from my house. He owns a 2012 Nissan GT-R. I believe it's rated at 545 hp, and will turn 60 in just under 3 seconds.

He's asked me for a race, about 4 or 5 times in the past 4 months, since I got my '13 GS LS3.

I respond with comments like ..."please,.. I don't waste gas on rice boxes"...or, "Don't be foolish, you'll break something". Or, "it wouldn't be fair, you only have 6 cylinders".

It infuriates him. :lol: The truth is, those 6 cyl. would smoke my a$$ in a heartbeat. But I won't give him the satisfaction. Some might say that's mean...I call it fun!

Hameister 06-25-2013 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by bladex10 (Post 1584243104)
...Corvette is a performance car just like Mustangs, Camaros, Evos, STI, 350z etc.

Ahh, now this is the heart of the matter...

Your statement is only 1/2 correct. The Corvette is a performance car, but it is not like a Mustang, Camaro, or any other car out there. I'm not saying it's better, or worse, cost more or less, out performs or doesn't.

I'm simply saying it's a 'vette, and that makes it a very different animal. It's an American icon. If thinking it's a great car, and fun to drive, and reasonably priced, makes me "stuck up", than so be it, I don't care, I love 'vettes.

village idiot 06-25-2013 11:55 AM

no one ever does that to me. I'm driving too fast :D

BBBOOMR 06-25-2013 11:55 AM

I seem to get it from pickups with jacked up suspensions...........

bladex10 06-25-2013 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hameister (Post 1584243229)
Ahh, now this is the heart of the matter...

Your statement is only 1/2 correct. The Corvette is a performance car, but it is not like a Mustang, Camaro, or any other car out there. I'm not saying it's better, or worse, cost more or less, out performs or doesn't.

I'm simply saying it's a 'vette, and that makes it a very different animal. It's an American icon. If thinking it's a great car, and fun to drive, and reasonably priced, makes me "stuck up", than so be it, I don't care, I love 'vettes.

Mustang is just as much as an icon as the Corvette. There are folks who only own the cars for that reason. That doesnt change the fact that Corvette is a performance car and appeals to car guys. A guy with an Evo might buy a Vette or a guy with a Vette will go to Mustang. It happens all the time in the performance car world. This is why there are so many Corvette owners at SVTP.

andy82 06-25-2013 12:53 PM

I very rarely have that problem, folks in other cars usually stare straight and try not to look - LOL :lol: I think it might have something to do with the plates....:thumbs:

http://hoepfner.net/other/zr8x_bridge.jpg

Hameister 06-25-2013 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by bladex10 (Post 1584243608)
Mustang is just as much as an icon as the Corvette. There are folks who only own the cars for that reason. That doesnt change the fact that Corvette is a performance car and appeals to car guys. A guy with an Evo might buy a Vette or a guy with a Vette will go to Mustang. It happens all the time in the performance car world. This is why there are so many Corvette owners at SVTP.

I would not disagree with anything you've said...all true. By saying the 'vette is an American icon, I'm not implying that a Camaro, or Mustang isn't. I am simply saying that in my opinion, a Corvette stands out as a very different kind of American muscle car.

When I drive a Mustang, or a Camaro for instance, (drove a friend's ZL1 just yesterday), they're fun cars, but I'm sitting up rather high, much like any 4dr sedan passenger car. The look and "feel" as I look across the hood and fenders, makes me feel like I'm driving a tank. In the 'vette, I'm sitting way low to the ground, and feel like I'm in the cockpit of a small plane. Like driving a rocket. I'm not bad mouthing other folks choices or preferences in cars. I'm just expressing what I like, that's all.

bladex10 06-25-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hameister (Post 1584244091)
I would not disagree with anything you've said...all true. By saying the 'vette is an American icon, I'm not implying that a Camaro, or Mustang isn't. I am simply saying that in my opinion, a Corvette stands out as a very different kind of American muscle car.

When I drive a Mustang, or a Camaro for instance, (drove a friend's ZL1 just yesterday), they're fun cars, but I'm sitting up rather high, much like any 4dr sedan passenger car. The look and "feel" as I look across the hood and fenders, makes me feel like I'm driving a tank. In the 'vette, I'm sitting way low to the ground, and feel like I'm in the cockpit of a small plane. Like driving a rocket. I'm not bad mouthing other folks choices or preferences in cars. I'm just expressing what I like, that's all.

No arguing with you there. Thats the exact reason why i like Corvettes.

Havnfun 06-25-2013 01:38 PM

The Vette is a bad ass car. It's stock bottom end engine is what all these others are modding their cars trying to match.

Johnathon59 06-25-2013 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by PittMD1 (Post 1584242330)
Where I live there are all manner of exotic cars that are way faster than my lowly GS.

Amen to that !:iagree: I live in Scottsdale plenty of exotics here especially in the winter months. I can barely keep up with them in normal traffic *:lol:*

stew1100 06-25-2013 02:00 PM

I had a guy in his new mustang with a tuner logo in his back window come up behing me and start jumping like he wanted some of my Z06. My Z has been tuned with bolt ons. I'm not saying I have the fastest car there is, but it has sticky tires and runs strong, unless he is packing some serious mods he will get smoked. I have out run a 2013 GT500 so I was not too worried about some kid in his dadies new mustang GT. We are in rush hour traffic so I won't even give this guy the time of day. So he is finally able to pull up beside me and start gunning his car, slowing down and gunning it again. I just ignore him. Well he pulls up again and nails it for all it's worth. Guess what.. the traffic in front of him has stopped. He skids his car for a least 3 body lengths. Nice dark black tire marks, big cloud of white smoke, lucky if he did not flat spot them. Well he stopped with about an inch to spare from hitting the car in front of him. When traffice started going again I saw his girlfriend yelling at him. I had to pull up beside him and clap. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

JJC5 06-25-2013 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by stew1100 (Post 1584244606)
I had a guy in his new mustang with a tuner logo in his back window come up behing me and start jumping like he wanted some of my Z06. My Z has been tuned with bolt ons. I'm not saying I have the fastest car there is, but it has sticky tires and runs strong, unless he is packing some serious mods he will get smoked. I have out run a 2013 GT500 so I was not too worried about some kid in his dadies new mustang GT. We are in rush hour traffic so I won't even give this guy the time of day. So he is finally able to pull up beside me and start gunning his car, slowing down and gunning it again. I just ignore him. Well he pulls up again and nails it for all it's worth. Guess what.. the traffic in front of him has stopped. He skids his car for a least 3 body lengths. Nice dark black tire marks, big cloud of white smoke, lucky if he did not flat spot them. Well he stopped with about an inch to spare from hitting the car in front of him. When traffice started going again I saw his girlfriend yelling at him. I had to pull up beside him and clap. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

I would have loved to have seen that.

N2TU 06-25-2013 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by vig1116 (Post 1584239720)
yes. I had a guy in an older camry floor it at a light beside me last week like we were racing. I think he really believed he was keeping up with me cause we were side by side with him flooring his camry and me just doing my normal driving... :rofl:

Don't be too surprised!....mostly, pony (MuskRats) cars do it...but I has a Chevy Van try it the other day...tried pin me into a right turn only lane...what a jerk!

:cool:

C6ROLLER 06-25-2013 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hameister (Post 1584243171)

t infuriates him. :lol: The truth is, those 6 cyl. would smoke my a$$ in a heartbeat. But I won't give him the satisfaction. Some might say that's mean...I call it fun!

Wow you called his GTR a rice box? Yeah that must really piss him off!:eek:Thats like the ZR-1 of Japan...and yes the GTR is no joke, it will smoke alot of cars, especially on the turns....well have fun with your neighor:thumbs:I wouldn't park your vette outside over night:cheers:

IrishSpuds 06-25-2013 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by SK360 (Post 1584241683)
Because those that drive around thinking their corvette is the end all be all of street cars are quite humorous. Corvettes are a target, not feared on the street.

A lot of people buy them trying to prove something, you know it's true.

Fair enough on the first point, but I don't know that a lot of folks would buy to prove something. My $1.02 (adjusted for inflation)

IrishSpuds 06-25-2013 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by andy82 (Post 1584243924)
I very rarely have that problem, folks in other cars usually stare straight and try not to look - LOL :lol: I think it might have something to do with the plates....:thumbs:

http://hoepfner.net/other/zr8x_bridge.jpg

That's the finest looking Vette I have seen so far.

ProfessorDeath 06-25-2013 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by BBBOOMR (Post 1584243326)
I seem to get it from pickups with jacked up suspensions...........

Ugh, glad I'm not the only one. Trucks, SUV's, Infiniti G's, etc. Makes no sense to me.

janicept 06-25-2013 05:05 PM

Happens to everyone in their Vette - all year.

My favorite part is when cars are driving crazy around me and then they get pulled over since they were so busy watching me they missed the cop!

I also get people flying by me then reallizing a 35 year old woman is driving then they come back and drive next to me.