CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Improve your ARE Dry Dump System (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3296843-improve-your-are-dry-dump-system.html)

Painrace 06-28-2013 09:38 PM

Improve your ARE Dry Sump System

I tested a new product from Gary Armstrong at ARE on Monday and Tuesday at VIR. The product, with no moving parts, is called a Spintric! It installs in the line returning oil to the dry sump tank. It removes about 75% of the air in the oil before it goes back into the tank. So, what are the results. Once the air out line was hooked up to the dry sump tank the oil level in the dry sump tank dropped about 1.25" to 1.5"! Oil pressure went up 5psi or 12%! Water temperature went down 10 degrees! I have a Ron Davis radiator so my oil temps and water temps are always low. Those with higher water and oil temps may see them both go down.

Our conclusion is with the air reduced in the oil lubrication is better, cooling is better and since the oil is denser it takes less room in the tank.

Jim

Poor-sha 06-28-2013 10:10 PM

Pics? Where to buy? So this is the voodoo magic you were alluding to :)

Corvee 06-28-2013 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Painrace (Post 1584276547)
I tested a new product from Gary Armstrong at ARE on Monday and Tuesday at VIR. The product, with no moving parts, is called a Spintric! It installs in the line returning oil to the dry sump tank. It removes about 75% of the air in the oil before it goes back into the tank. So, what are the results. Once the air out line was hooked up to the dry sump tank the oil level in the dry sump tank dropped about 1.25" to 1.5"! Oil pressure went up 5psi or 12%! Water temperature went down 10 degrees! I have a Ron Davis radiator so my oil temps and water temps are always low. Those with higher water and oil temps may see them both go down.

Our conclusion is with the air reduced in the oil lubrication is better, cooling is better and since the oil is denser it takes less room in the tank.

Jim

Are you running a scavenge pump and if so is the unit on the pressure side of the pump or in the other line from the pan to the tank? How large is the unit?

Jim

RX-Ben 06-28-2013 11:26 PM

cost?

yooper 06-28-2013 11:34 PM

All of the above questions?

Werks 06-29-2013 12:57 AM

Jim I was talking to Jason about possibly getting one of these a few weeks ago. I was at RichieRich's shop down here a few months ago and he had just got one in to try out. Nice to hear some real world results with it, would have been nice to try one in my car a few weeks ago when it was 108f outside at the track lol! One question for you though, where did you mount it? We were looking around trying to figure our where the best place to position it would be close to the tank.

Painrace 06-29-2013 08:27 AM

I am on my way to AMP to instruct with Tracks Unlimited. I will post pictures Monday. Cost is around $900. Ron, I mounted mine just in front of the electrical box on the passengers side. Oil comes out of the stage III pump and into the Spintric. I am so pleased. NO MOVING PARTS and more cheap insurance! My car already cooled GREAT but the Spintric cools even more and lubes much better. This is going to be in future race cars!

Jim

aremfg 06-29-2013 08:34 AM

Hi friends, and thank you Jim for your comments. For those of you interested in the Spintric, you can visit www.spintric.com. Or the main A R E web site at www.drysump.com. No voodo,
Just good old physics and fluid dynamics. I had it in development for almost a year, awaiting patent and testing it constantly. It has been available since early this year, and is selling very well. See the other testimonials on the Spintric web site as well as a "youtube" and other information there. Net. Price is $897, complete, but we have a "ProRacer" price of $769
It works on any dry sump system, not only A R E, however our dry sump tanks are set up for the air / oil return. Thank you, Gary Armstrong

Corvee 06-29-2013 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by aremfg (Post 1584278820)
Hi friends, and thank you Jim for your comments. For those of you interested in the Spintric, you can visit www.spintric.com. Or the main A R E web site at www.drysump.com. No voodo,
Just good old physics and fluid dynamics. I had it in development for almost a year, awaiting patent and testing it constantly. It has been available since early this year, and is selling very well. See the other testimonials on the Spintric web site as well as a "youtube" and other information there. Net. Price is $897, complete, but we have a "ProRacer" price of $769
It works on any dry sump system, not only A R E, however our dry sump tanks are set up for the air / oil return. Thank you, Gary Armstrong

The ARE baffle inside the tank is supposed to remove the air from the oil. Does your unit work on a different principal?

aremfg 06-29-2013 10:04 AM

Very much so. One uses gravity, (slow) Spintric uses centrepetal force, on every drop of oil /air going back to the tank. Having both is still an assett, and the tank baffle also is to stabilize oil movement inside the tank in high cornering g's.

redtopz 06-29-2013 10:36 AM

Nice looking product! I never thought about the gassing of oil being an issue, but it makes sense. I have an ARE 2 stage dry sump (2 scavenge lines, factory oil pump for pressure) and I'll give you a call.

Bill.

Anthony @ LGMotorsports 06-29-2013 01:16 PM

Just got some info from Gary on this last week. Looks like a nice product, and if Gary can chime in here on this, I'm going to say it is just like an airator line that would be on a higher end external dry sump setup, which we know will not fit on the Corvette without A/C removal and customer passenger side engine mount.

aremfg 06-29-2013 02:07 PM

Spintric post

The Spintric.on Jims system, and all ARE LS7 ZO6 retrofit systems keep the AC, and even the factory damper. In fact, everything except the pan, factory windage tray, tank and vent can. The systems Anthony is refering to are our LS 1-6 dry sumps, in which case all but one, we mount the pumps where the AC was. However, the Spintric works on them all! That is a huge thing that is often confused. Again, all you folks looking to up date your factory dry sump to to the ARE LS7 retrofit systen, either stage 2 OR stage 3, you KEEP your air conditioner right where it is. The Spintric can even be added later, as Jim and many othere have.
For more info, schematics, and CAD drawings visit drysump.com, or call A R E 916-652-5282 gary@drysump.com.
Also, these systems are available from KATECH (#1 buyer) , LG, Pfadt, Quality Motorsports, APP Holland, Callaway Cars, and many more. See web site for engine builder / supplier list. Or, you may buy direct from
A R E with qualifications. Thank you! And Thank you Jim Painter!

rmackintosh 06-29-2013 10:53 PM

VERY cool! I have worked a couple of times with Gary on my ARE dry sump system and he has ALWAYS been the best to work with! He has always been of the utmost assistance. This system sounds like something I will check on in the future! :-)

yakisoba 06-30-2013 10:47 AM

Has anyone tried to adapt this to the stock dry sump system on the LS3 or LS7? My understanding was that the problem with the stock system was too much entrained air at high lateral G loads (such as those produced when driving on sticky tires). This system would seem to help that problem, yes?

mesospeedy 06-30-2013 11:22 PM

^ I would also like to know this. I'm under warranty for a while yet, but for future reference I'd like to know if this is an option to improve the stock dry sump.

trackboss 07-01-2013 06:10 AM

I'd say the problem with the stock dry sump is that there is only one stage of scavenge and that is the reason for so much air. The air separator will do nothing if the single scavenge pump is only sucking up air (when the pickup is not submerged in oil like under heavy braking forces).

RX-Ben 07-01-2013 07:54 AM

Painrace: Do you have a GM system or a 3 or 4 stage external setup?

I am wondering how much difference this will make on external setup that already has a proper tank.

Painrace 07-04-2013 10:32 AM

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...cInstalled.jpg

Here is a picture of the install, Ron. We ran it with the air bleed to the dry sump tank not attached and then attached it. I believed Gary but I was quite surprised when the Dry Sump tank level wend down so fast. Remember, my system is an ARE stage III system.

THIS THING WORKS GUYS!

I might add I am surprised by how many times I see race cars where the area around the radiators and coolers are not completely blocked off so all the trapped air does not go through the coolers. This product will reduce oil/water temps but so will forcing all air through the coolers.

MANY THANKS GARY!

Jim

Painrace 07-04-2013 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports (Post 1584280774)
Just got some info from Gary on this last week. Looks like a nice product, and if Gary can chime in here on this, I'm going to say it is just like an airator line that would be on a higher end external dry sump setup, which we know will not fit on the Corvette without A/C removal and customer passenger side engine mount.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...cInstalled.jpg

It is just in front of the fuse box, Anthony. I have all accessories on my car. Lou needs one for his race car. You will love it and the best part is no moving parts!

Jim