CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   First Museum Visit (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3303967-first-museum-visit.html)

Bassprocop 07-12-2013 03:21 AM

First Museum Visit

Headed out in a few hours to Washington DC for vacation. On the way back we are stopping in Bowling Green for our first visit to the museum. Needless to say me and my 12 year old son are super excited about this visit. I wish we were going in the Vette but since its three of us the Tahoe gets the nod. Anything else in BG to see and do?

RocketDawg 07-12-2013 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bassprocop (Post 1584387323)
Headed out in a few hours to Washington DC for vacation. On the way back we are stopping in Bowling Green for our first visit to the museum. Needless to say me and my 12 year old son are super excited about this visit. I wish we were going in the Vette but since its three of us the Tahoe gets the nod. Anything else in BG to see and do?

You and your son will really enjoy the museum. You can't park in the special Vette parking spaces with that Tahoe though. :ack: I've been thee a couple of times. It would be nice if you could do the assembly tour but I understand they are gearing up for C7 production and that's temporarily closed.

There's really nothing else to do in BG that I know of. I was there on a cruise-in, and we played golf and went to drag races, but both were special because of the cruise-in. BG is a small town ... not much to do there. But it's a nice area.

corvettelover25 07-12-2013 05:30 AM

I live in BG, the question is what do you like to do? BG isn't that small and I think whenever you drive through it you will understand what I mean. Granted it's not New York.... but there's Beech Bend where you can hit the drag strip or the amusement park with roller coasters and a water park, downtown has some decent dining areas and Scottsville Rd is full of restaurants. Mammoth Cave (largest cave system in the world) is about 20 miles up on I-65 North. Lost River Cave-an old Jesse James hideout is 5 miles from the GM plant. Drive in movie theater right about 20 minutes away. If you are into baseball, catch a Bowling Green Hot Rods game which is a minor leage team of the Tampa Bay Rays. There are some decent parks and golf spots. Not a bad bar scene if you are into thatI'm not sure what your interest are and not sure how long you anticipate being in the BG area... If you plan to eat and want any advice on some restaurants in the area let me know.

Bassprocop 07-12-2013 08:59 AM

Thanks guys. I will be there just the ine day because its onoir trip home. I wish I coukd play golf but there is just no time for that. The amusement park thing may be an idea and the wife will like the shopping scene. I am really excited about the museum. We will be in BG after leaving Louisville where we are touring the Louisville Slugger plant. All in all I cant wait to get to the museum . I get a kick out of watching my son take care of my car and Im happy to share this experience with him at the same time. This wont be our last trip to the museum. The next one we take will be in his Corvette and just the two of us. My car will be given to him when he graduates high school but he doesnt know it yet.

boraxman 07-12-2013 09:07 AM

:cool:

corvettelover25 07-12-2013 09:15 AM

BG has a decent mall, but if you are going to be in Louisville visit Mall St. Matthews. I think your wife will like shopping there much more! Enjoy the trip!

traveler1 07-12-2013 10:36 AM

Took plant tour an museum tour 2012. We were visiting St Louis and rented a Camaro for drive to Bhttp://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/...ION2012018.jpgowling Green, was ok car, anyway went to drag strip while there.

Bassprocop 07-12-2013 02:14 PM

Thats why you would never buy a used ZHZ. Lol.

RocketDawg 07-12-2013 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bassprocop (Post 1584388264)
Thanks guys. I will be there just the ine day because its onoir trip home. I wish I coukd play golf but there is just no time for that. The amusement park thing may be an idea and the wife will like the shopping scene. I am really excited about the museum. We will be in BG after leaving Louisville where we are touring the Louisville Slugger plant. All in all I cant wait to get to the museum . I get a kick out of watching my son take care of my car and Im happy to share this experience with him at the same time. This wont be our last trip to the museum. The next one we take will be in his Corvette and just the two of us. My car will be given to him when he graduates high school but he doesnt know it yet.

You'll really like the Louisville Slugger plant tour. Did that several years ago and it was lots of fun. While you're in Louisville, you might check the Art Museum (has a big shuttlecock out front) and go to Churchill Downs ... nice tour there too.

Bassprocop 07-12-2013 03:14 PM

We are going to Churchill Downs. We have a friend that owns race horses and his horse farm is near there. He is taking us on a behind the scenes tour. Should be fun.

peter pan 07-12-2013 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by boraxman (Post 1584388323)
:cool:

:iagree::rock:

beepster 07-13-2013 09:03 AM

Kentucky is bourbon country...The Makers Mark distillery is not far from BG (interesting tour). Also, don't miss Chaney's Dairy Barn in BG...try their bourbon flavored ice cream (seriously). It will set you free:D