CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   What gear lube for a whining set of gears (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3314396-what-gear-lube-for-a-whining-set-of-gears.html)

MIAmotorsports 07-30-2013 01:42 PM

What gear lube for a whining set of gears

I was wondering what gear lube you would recommend for a rear that has some gear whine. I was looking at AMS and was wondering what kind of luck you had with the road race/drag race lube.

Bill Curlee 07-30-2013 03:46 PM

Gear lube is most likely NOT going to fix a rear end gear whine. The gear noise is mostly always the result of an impropery set up ring and pinion or damaged ring/pinion tooth faces (scoring)

You can change the lubricant but, i seriously doubt that it will eliminate it. Check with AMSOIL. They have a very good 75/90 weight oil with the correct limited slip addative.

BC

MIAmotorsports 07-30-2013 03:55 PM

I am not trying to fix it but quiet it down some. Even a little is better than nothing. It is an RPM stage 4 rear. A year old and dont want to rebuild again. I know some people say royal purple for gear noise and some aims posi additive

mchicia1 07-30-2013 04:57 PM

Gear lube isn't gonna do anything. I tried thicker lube once for a whining diff and it got louder if anything.

HoosierPE 07-30-2013 08:18 PM

Different or new gear lube will not correct or reduce gear noise. However the wrong lube can create it. A Corvette differential utilizes hypoid gearing meaning the pinion is offset from the centerline of the ring gear. This makes for a stronger gear-set but introduces a sliding component. As a result gear lubes used in hypoid gearing must contain an EP (extreme pressure) additive. Most commercial oils today do have the EP additive however if they don't the results are scoring and noise. When in doubt check.

C66 Racing 07-30-2013 08:20 PM

This is the appropriate fluid, but don't think any fluid will help the noise:
AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90 (Product Code SVGQT)

I had an 06 CTS-V for several years (sold it in 09) and that model had many TSBs on diff whine. Many Caddy Forum members tried heavier weight fluid (e.g. 75w110) but I never saw consensus that this really helped and the increased viscosity would result in a loss of net HP and a lowering of mpg. :cheers:

StrangelovesM6Vert 08-01-2013 10:23 AM

If lower noise is more important than losing a few hp then add some Lucas oil additive.
It's thick like honey and will absorb some of the noise.
You could also wrap some kind of insulation around the pumpkin and leave just 1 face for cooling if you're not beating on it all the time.

All together this may reduce your noise by half but won't eliminate it.

1973 08-12-2015 02:32 PM

I have heard of bananas

StatmanRN 08-12-2015 04:06 PM

LOL
A banana in the rear [no...NOT that one...] is an old used car dealer trick

But seriously: Did it always whine or is it progressively worse?
Im beginning to think a small amt of whine is inherent with Motive gears esp in higher ratios even when set up right.

jackthelad 08-13-2015 08:59 AM

Whine under power?

Whine on overrun?

All the time?

Nobody mentioned bearings - if the whine is always there, i.e. under throttle and under no load, bearings would be a guess.

73Corvette 08-13-2015 05:21 PM

I have used fine pine sawdust to quite down a whining rear end... it WORKS! Not sure I will recommend it for your Vette though....:ack:

LoneStarFRC 08-15-2015 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by 73Corvette (Post 1590263899)
I have used fine pine sawdust to quite down a whining rear end... it WORKS!..........

Hope you used clean. i.e. no pine bark beetles. :thumbs:

rickhimar 08-15-2015 10:41 AM

Royal Purple

[QUOTE it took awhile, but royal purple seemed to help considerably.[/QUOTE]

73Corvette 08-15-2015 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC (Post 1590273362)
Hope you used clean. i.e. no pine bark beetles. :thumbs:

Actually the pine beetle provides additional lubrication....:thumbs: