CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   What tranny fluid for a Z06 t56 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3314398-what-tranny-fluid-for-a-z06-t56.html)

MIAmotorsports 07-30-2013 01:44 PM

What tranny fluid for a Z06 t56

What do you guys recommend. I am going to change all the fluids in my Z06. Not sure when the previous owner did this so I am going to do it and play it safe.

waddisme 07-30-2013 01:57 PM

I switched mine to Amsoil. Same for rearend. Ordered from Subdriver so I got it from one place at a good deal delivered to my door. Good luck with it.

MIAmotorsports 07-30-2013 02:04 PM

Which weight did you get or is there only one type

waddisme 07-30-2013 02:12 PM

Hey Johnny,
Good to hear from you again. The Severe Gear 75w90 comes with friction modifier already in it and extra is not needed for the C5Z. If you get a C6 someday, I'd recommend more modifier but I run that same fluid without extra additive and don't get diff chatter.

My cost for a gal of the Torque Drive ATF (product ATD1G) and 2 qts of the Severe Gear 75w90 (product SVGQT)

This is what Subdriver recommended for my '02Z that is a dd and a track car. Note that no friction modifier is needed for rearend. If you are changing your power steering fluid also, get an extra qt of the ATF and that along with the pint left over from tranny should be enough for power steering if using the Ranger method. Good luck with it.

Paul 75 L82 07-30-2013 05:29 PM

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...synchromax.gif

DooDooBear1999 07-30-2013 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Paul 75 L82 (Post 1584542631)

:iagree:

Works great.

neutron82 07-30-2013 05:46 PM

I also run the above amsoil fluids in my trans/diff and both have worked great... now that you mention it I am probably due to replace those fluids in my car as well... they only have about 6k miles on them but its been about 2 years since I last changed them, I don't drive it much:lol:

racebum 07-30-2013 06:43 PM

eh, i wouldn't use PAO oil. has a shrinking effect on seals and costs just as much as a quality ester oil like redline

C66 Racing 07-30-2013 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by racebum (Post 1584543328)
eh, i wouldn't use PAO oil. has a shrinking effect on seals and costs just as much as a quality ester oil like redline

Those that still use a primary PAO basestock, modify them slightly by blending in Group V polyol esters. The polyol esters have two beneficial impacts; they counter-act the shrinking and swelling of the two different fluids resulting in a fluid which very slightly swells the seals, and they lower the coefficient of friction. AMSOIL has been blending their tranny, gear lube and top tier oils this way for a long time now and their fluids do not cause leaks. I've been using it in all my vehicles since 2004 - no leaks.

This is a quote from a bob is the oil guy tech article:
"Nevertheless, esters are often used in combination with PAOs in full synthetic motor oils in order to balance the effect on seals, solubilize additives, reduce volatility, and improve energy efficiency through higher lubricity. The percentage of ester used can vary anywhere from 5 to 25% depending upon the desired properties and the type of ester employed."

AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (Product Code ATD1G)

More than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested. :cheers:

momo20 07-30-2013 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1584542793)
Another vote for Amsoil Torque Drive ATF.

you pay a little more..but top notch products, amsoil is the only item that will be allowed in my trans/ diff

Ohyoufan 07-30-2013 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by waddisme (Post 1584540892)
I switched mine to Amsoil. Same for rearend. Ordered from Subdriver so I got it from one place at a good deal delivered to my door. Good luck with it.

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1584542772)
I also run the above amsoil fluids in my trans/diff and both have worked great... now that you mention it I am probably due to replace those fluids in my car as well... they only have about 6k miles on them but its been about 2 years since I last changed them, I don't drive it much:lol:

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1584542793)
Another vote for Amsoil Torque Drive ATF.

Originally Posted by C66 Racing (Post 1584544093)
Those that still use a primary PAO basestock, modify them slightly by blending in Group V polyol esters. The polyol esters have two beneficial impacts; they counter-act the shrinking and swelling of the two different fluids resulting in a fluid which very slightly swells the seals, and they lower the coefficient of friction. AMSOIL has been blending their tranny, gear lube and top tier oils this way for a long time now and their fluids do not cause leaks. I've been using it in all my vehicles since 2004 - no leaks.

"Nevertheless, esters are often used in combination with PAOs in full synthetic motor oils in order to balance the effect on seals, solubilize additives, reduce volatility, and improve energy efficiency through higher lubricity. The percentage of ester used can vary anywhere from 5 to 25% depending upon the desired properties and the type of ester employed."

More than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested. :cheers:

Originally Posted by momo20 (Post 1584544224)

you pay a little more..but top notch products, amsoil is the only item that will be allowed in my trans/ diff

:withstupid: I put Amsoil in my m6 (which is a 99 with the paper blockers) and in my rear end and it's awesome stuff! My transmission's smooth as butter now, it was an INSTANT difference from the stock fluid. The shifts were a lot smoother and the transmission wasn't near as noisy.
I'll be switching to Amsoil motor oil on my next change too!
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps57c54f92.jpg

84REDCROSSFIRE 07-31-2013 12:56 AM

Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid in the yellow bottle :thumbs:

http://www.pennzoil.com/other-car-pr...n-fluid/#About

flynhi 08-01-2013 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ohyoufan (Post 1584545658)
:withstupid: I put Amsoil in my m6 (which is a 99 with the paper blockers) and in my rear end and it's awesome stuff! My transmission's smooth as butter now, it was an INSTANT difference from the stock fluid. The shifts were a lot smoother and the transmission wasn't near as noisy.
I'll be switching to Amsoil motor oil on my next change too!
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps57c54f92.jpg

My local Vette experts all recommend Amsoil for all C5s. I have a 99 also and I called Tremec (which bought Borg Warner) and they recommended Mobil 1 which I ahve installed.
How long have you had the Amsoil in your trans? Any issues?

racebum 08-01-2013 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by C66 Racing (Post 1584544093)

i haven't heard anyone complain about amsoil either. royal purple is the oil that seems to leak on some folks. my only wild guess was the PAO base stock

Ohyoufan 08-01-2013 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by flynhi (Post 1584555093)
My local Vette experts all recommend Amsoil for all C5s. I have a 99 also and I called Tremec (which bought Borg Warner) and they recommended Mobil 1 which I ahve installed.
How long have you had the Amsoil in your trans? Any issues?

I've had it since last winter and my cars a daily driver and so far I haven't had any issues. Everything changed for the better!

TastyBacon 08-01-2013 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by 84REDCROSSFIRE (Post 1584546319)

I loved Synchromesh in older FWD transaxles. Would be interested to hear more about people running it in the T56.

wcsinx 08-01-2013 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by 84REDCROSSFIRE (Post 1584546319)

Been running it for ~2 years now in my coupe. Shifting is noticeably smoother than with the Dex III (and I did have fresh Castrol Dex III in there). I was getting a 3-4 grind on redline shifts which is 90% gone. Or at least when it does happen now it feels more like user error and less like a tranny problem.