CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Thoughts on removing the rubber/plastic lip under nose? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3326955-thoughts-on-removing-the-rubber-plastic-lip-under-nose.html)

Kevin_NYC 08-21-2013 01:58 PM

Thoughts on removing the rubber/plastic lip under nose?

My new driveway has a bump that will not clear the 2.5in clearance of the 3 piece front plastic lip guard. There is a 6-10 inch 45 degree incline and then flat driveway.

I can hear it scraping the lip and distorting it to the point it seperates from the plastic button holding it to other pieces. I have tried coming in at all angles.

What are my options?

-Remove entire plastic lip guard
-Back in?
-do they make a higher lip guard?

Is it a DIY pop off or does dealer have to do it.

Thanks

TLS_Addict 08-21-2013 02:01 PM

You can take it off in about 3 minutes. Its not hard at all.

Mine hits too and it sounds just like what yours is doing.

I wouldnt take it off but I am debating on "trimming" it up slightly to see how it does. Be simple to take it off, mark it, cut it, and then smooth the cut surface so its not sharp.

wayback 08-21-2013 02:03 PM

Pretty easy to remove. I have replaced mine after it was destroyed be a road gator.

Mine scrapes also....has also come loose from the plastic pins holding the 3 parts together. I just live with it.:D

Could replace it again, but it would end up the same so why spend the money. No one can see it anyway.

carpe dm 08-21-2013 02:03 PM

I have the same problem. It is a bolt on piece, and easily removed. I don't think it really has any value other than appearance. I would like to put a "splitter" on mine, but that would scrape just as badly....:ack:

wayback 08-21-2013 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by carpe dm (Post 1584726446)
I have the same problem. It is a bolt on piece, and easily removed. I don't think it really has any value other than appearance. I would like to put a "splitter" on mine, but that would scrape just as badly....:ack:

It is for high speed runs....keeps the front from lifting.:cheers:

4SUMERZ 08-21-2013 02:17 PM

I trimmed about an inch off mine as I also have an inclined driveway.
I still have to come in at an angle, but it doesn't scrape anymore. :cheers:

Turbo6TA 08-21-2013 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by wayback (Post 1584726461)

It is for high speed runs....keeps the front from lifting. :cheers:

I don't think that flimsy 3-piece rubber air dam is going to keep anything from "lifting".

I believe it is there to help direct air up into the radiator, and is needed for cooling.

If it scrapes all the time, I guess you could shave maybe in inch off it so it would not set so low. Removing it is a bad idea.

1bdvet 08-21-2013 02:35 PM

Mine scrapes for the last several years, haven't seen any damage that I feel I need to remove it.

SilverScorp 08-21-2013 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by wayback (Post 1584726461)
It is for high speed runs....keeps the front from lifting.:cheers:

I dont think so. I thought it directed air up across the radiator to help keep it cool.

Rich Mickol 08-21-2013 02:50 PM

Mine also scrapes. So does my splitter. I went to Home Depot and bought 20"x20" rubber patio blocks. About 6 bucks apiece.

I back down until I hear it scrape. Pull forward and put the blocks behind the front wheels to build it up. I then back out slowly.

I only do this because of the splitter scraping not the air dam. If it were just the air dam I could live with it.

wayback 08-21-2013 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by SilverScorp (Post 1584726818)
I dont think so. I thought it directed air up across the radiator to help keep it cool.

It does both I think. Creates neg pressure under nose which helps direct airflow thru rad. Neg pressure also helps downforce.

Steve_R 08-21-2013 02:56 PM

It has nothing to do with downforce. It is important for cooling. Do not remove it. It's a wear item. It scrapes. It's cheap and easy to replace if it needs it. Removing or trimming it is a bad idea. Given all of that I don't understand the obsession some have with it rubbing and the lengths people will go to to stop it from rubbing. It doesn't hurt anything then it rubs.

truckplay 08-21-2013 02:59 PM

i got into a huge discussion over those 3 rubber pieces about a month ago. some claim that they create lift a speed, i don't believe it since they don't on my coupe (i took them off & tried it) they are there to direct air into the radiator.
you can trim them if you want or just SLOWLY BACK into your driveway. they are rubber and will fold and yes RUB will will not get damaged.
on wide body cars the lower air dam does get damaged especially the CF piece & that is expenssive. some have used planks of wood as a ramp if the transition is too great.

speedraider 08-21-2013 02:59 PM

remove to 2 sides and leave the middle section

TLS_Addict 08-21-2013 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1584726885)
It has nothing to do with downforce. It is important for cooling. Do not remove it. It's a wear item. It scrapes. It's cheap and easy to replace if it needs it. Removing or trimming it is a bad idea. Given all of that I don't understand the obsession some have with it rubbing and the lengths people will go to to stop it from rubbing. It doesn't hurt anything then it rubs.

It draws attention.

Steve_R 08-21-2013 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict (Post 1584726913)
It draws attention.

It's a Vette. It draws attention sitting in a parking lot. If someone doesn't want any attention, they should be driving a white Camry, not a Vette. :lol:

VET4LES 08-21-2013 03:07 PM

Mine's been rubbing for over eight years (twice a day). It's made to rub. If it ever gets to the point of looking bad I'll replace it. :toetap:

Jitsu 08-21-2013 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by speedraider (Post 1584726909)
remove to 2 sides and leave the middle section

This is what I did. When I bought the car one of the side pieces was damaged so I removed it along with the other side with the intent of replacing. I left the middle piece in place since it does direct airflow up into the radiator. I've not had any issues and my coolant/engine temps have remained the same. I've been driving it with the side pieces removed for a few months no with no problems but will eventually install new pieces.

IrishSpuds 08-21-2013 03:51 PM

If you dont want to remove, try googling ramp systems and you may find something that works and does not look hideous. My $1.02 (inflation adjusted)

Binh360 08-21-2013 03:57 PM

Took mine off, been over two years now and my car is fine. Couldn't stand the scraping. Sometime embarrassing just like the brake squeal.