CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Edmunds 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs. 2013 SRT Viper Track Test (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3330587-edmunds-2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-vs-2013-srt-viper-track-test.html)

M_C7 08-28-2013 12:47 AM

Edmunds 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs. 2013 SRT Viper Track Test

C7 straightline #'s seem a bit slow but it did well in braking and the slalom

0-60 4.3
1/4 12.39 @ 113

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/cor...ison-test.html

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/sr...823131_717.jpg

48supertruck 08-28-2013 01:00 AM

Seemed like a honest opinion.

OnPoint 08-28-2013 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by 48supertruck (Post 1584779851)
Seemed like a honest opinion.

:iagree:

Sin City 08-28-2013 01:04 AM

In LA now: 2013 Vipers already advertised for 13 grand off MSRP. Vettes dealers are asking over MSRP.

May tell you something.

Bronzevette85 08-28-2013 01:11 AM

love that the c7 sounds a lot better than the viper. :rock:

kozmic 08-28-2013 01:13 AM

Nice honest comparo... now throw some Z-ness at the C7 and re-test straight line... :thumbs:

Of course... Viper guys be like... What about the TA?

Snorman 08-28-2013 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1584779866)
In LA now: 2013 Vipers already advertised for 13 grand off MSRP. Vettes dealers are asking over MSRP.

May tell you something.

The '13 Vipers are not selling well. Dealers have been sitting on cars for months.
It has to be nearly a record for how fast a new and hyped model started seeing big discounts.
S.

Sin City 08-28-2013 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1584779908)
The '13 Vipers are not selling well. Dealers have been sitting on cars for months.
It has to be nearly a record for how fast a new and hyped model started seeing big discounts.
S.

It ain't gonna get any better when the C7 hits the streets.

Stingray23 08-28-2013 01:22 AM

The C7 is extremely impressive in the handling and braking dept.

VRMMMM 08-28-2013 02:02 AM

Wow, that's pretty shocking. Viper is no joke, that car has a lot going for it. I figure it would compete more with the "Z07" Viper needs to step up, cause it seems team corvette did their homework.

flatcrank 08-28-2013 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by kozmic (Post 1584779899)
Nice honest comparo... now throw some Z-ness at the C7 and re-test straight line... :thumbs:

Of course... Viper guys be like... What about the TA?

I think they'd be right. This first version of the Viper is very good on track in skilled hands, but slower than other versions. I think the Motor Trend numbers recorded the differences, but I can't say I need to look at the numbers to change my opinion about the Viper, it's just not a car I would want.

This review is really just about pitch perfect: straight talk, simple statements, a minimum of drama. It just doesn't leave the door open for a Porsche, Audi, AMG, BMW or even McLaren, maybe even a Ferrari owner to start spinning up a way one of those cars is somehow imbued with a superiority that exists somewhere other than in handling, acceleration, braking and grip.

I do wonder why GM didn't setup red line, 1st gear and final drive ratio to peak at 60mph. Having to upshift kills the time. This is one game where launch control and dual clutch prevails.

The Stingray has no-lift upshift, so perhaps that explains why MT got a 3.99 0-60, and maybe an all-round more thorough examination of eLSD, etc., but the bottom line is the same: the Stingray has raise the bar and all the above named makers are surely staring into the black night sky and muttering to themselves about bloody Americans and their bloody V8's.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...y/viewall.html

Blancpain 08-28-2013 02:27 AM

Guibo 08-28-2013 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by flatcrank (Post 1584780054)
I do wonder why GM didn't setup red line, 1st gear and final drive ratio to peak at 60mph. Having to upshift kills the time. This is one game where launch control and dual clutch prevails.

Maybe they will in a future model, but I'd trust that GM geared the current car correctly overall for performance, driveability, and economy. Besides, 0-60 is overrated, considering the performance of today's cars.

Trackaholic 08-28-2013 03:56 AM

My friend at work just took delivery of a 2013 Viper GTS, Stryker Red Edition.

Very, very beautiful car. Just stunning from all angles, especially in that color, which changes hue based on the angle of the sun. Really highlights the curves well.

And as much as I love the exterior, I was equally impressed with the interior. I actually thought it was pretty easy to get in and out of. I just needed to change the method of entry and egress. Rather than putting one leg into the car, sitting, then putting the other leg in, I'd instead sit in the seat with both feet outside the car, then swing them in at the same time. Was actually pretty easy. I also thought the seats were just perfect. I'm about 5' 11" and 180 lbs, so not huge, but not as lean as I should be either. Found the seats to be very comfortable. Snug, but overly so. What I would like for a track day, but also comfortable for street driving as long as you don't try and move around much. Great lumbar support that helped distribute the weight. Huge amounts of leg room. With the seat tilted way back and the headrest just about touching the back wall, I couldn't reach the front of the footwell.

Also, the layout of the interior was great. Nicely symmetric in terms of vents and stereo, everything was logical. HVAC had great rotary knobs. Materials were very nice. This was a two tone red/black (a bit like a C7 2LT red in terms of color location, but the Viper had more red on the doors). Nice aluminum accents. Much better steering wheel than the C7.

Finally, the acceleration was just brutal. Literally had me LOL due to the sheer ridiculousness of it. Definitely need more of that type of craziness in today's world IMO. Loved the details in the IP, the little plastic/metal surrounds on the digital gauges. I actually thought the ride was quite good (suspension was set to softest of the two settings). Only complaint was the exhaust. Seemed a bit too loud for a cruise.

Still, I was just incredibly impressed with the car. But, I've been dreaming of a Viper since about 1996, so I was a already in love before riding in it.

It's a bit more car than I really want to own, so I'm looking forward to having a C7 Z51 with the Comp Seats when they become available. Still, on a scale of 1 to Bonkers, the Viper rates an 11 (not even sure what that means, only that the Viper was just amazing).

-T

lve2xlr8 08-28-2013 04:24 AM

Always liked Edmunds/Inside Line. Great performance by the C7, look how it compares to some of Randy Pobst's lap times:

C7 Corvette Z51: 1:24.6
2013 Viper: 1:23.9

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psda018137.png

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow...of_willow.html

Big Dan 427 08-28-2013 06:16 AM

MY ANALOGY:

Corvette = having an enjoyable session with your woman who will go through the motions, maybe get a little risqué and when all is said and done roll over and say good night.

Viper = getting home from work, being grabbed by your tie and made to throw down right there in the kitchen before being dragged upstairs to continue the intensity that when done will make you want to sleep in the next morning.:yesnod:

Trackaholic your description was spot on, when I posted a few weeks ago i felt the same way about the Viper, the biggest issue was getting in and out and the cabin space. But the car itself was killer!:thumbs:

Kind of surprised they got expected numbers out of the Viper and weak numbers out of the Vette.

Speednet 08-28-2013 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584780372)
MY ANALOGY:

Corvette = having an enjoyable session with your woman who will go through the motions, maybe get a little risqué and when all is said and done roll over and say good night.

Viper = getting home from work, being grabbed by your tie and made to throw down right there in the kitchen before being dragged upstairs to continue the intensity that when done will make you want to sleep in the next morning.:yesnod:

Trackaholic your description was spot on, when I posted a few weeks ago i felt the same way about the Viper, the biggest issue was getting in and out and the cabin space. But the car itself was killer!:thumbs:

Kind of surprised they got expected numbers out of the Viper and weak numbers out of the Vette.

You need help.

Big Dan 427 08-28-2013 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Speednet (Post 1584780449)
You need help.

I need help? Take a look at your avatar!:lol:

haveblue 08-28-2013 06:55 AM

One comparo down, one victory C7.

I love how they got the "feel" of this car so much better. That and the low end torque makes me excited to get my first drive one of these days.

Looking forward to more shootouts and more wins, hopefully, in the future.

And then the high performance version will come along. Look out!

svtkeith 08-28-2013 07:16 AM

Love both cars.