CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 Delivered yesterday has already been towed back to dealer (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3350365-c7-delivered-yesterday-has-already-been-towed-back-to-dealer.html)

CaptRat 10-02-2013 12:51 PM

:iagree: Great post!

JoesC5 10-02-2013 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by pookie (Post 1585069208)
The 7 speed manual is all new and is likely going to have more issues than the A6.
Finally some justification for us who went with the somewhat outdated, but tried and true Auto 6 speed!
:leaving:

The differential failed do to lack of lubricant, not the transmission. Even so, the TR6070 is the same as the C6's TR6060, except for having the additional overdrive gear added. It is not a new design transmission, other than having the 7th gear added.

b4i4getit 10-02-2013 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cruiter (Post 1585069092)
I'm at the dealer now and know of the issue. I've seen the PDI sheet and the sheet for that portion reads
Under Vehicle: Visually inspect underbody; check all fluid systems for leaks, brake/fuel lines secured in clips.

There is nothing re: checking the fluid.

The following is a statement from the General Manager:

"The C7 in question did not have fluid in the differential. Checking the dif for fluid is not an item on the pre-delivery checklist. The dif failed. We are recalling all C7’s delivered to date at Jim Ellis Chevrolet to check the difs and we will check all of the ones soon to arrive. An e-mail has already gone out to all dealers in Georgia to check the difs. The highest levels at Chevrolet are aware of this problem, which we think is an anomaly. The Corvette Team is all over it, having promised already to expedite an assembly immediately. Customers should be reassured by Chevrolet's swift and immediate response."
Mark Frost, General Manager & Member of the National Chevrolet Performance Car Dealer Advisory Board.

Maybe the differentials are being replaced due to a problem ?

travisnd 10-02-2013 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by b4i4getit (Post 1585069357)
Maybe the differentials are being replaced due to a problem ?

Uh... I'd say no fluid isn't the fault of the differential.

pookie 10-02-2013 01:14 PM

I had a Lexus GX470 that had the same problem (No fluid in Diff). It can happen to any car manufacturer. The Car was smart enough to go into "Limp mode" (Top speed of 20MPH 2nd gear only) so there was no long term damage.

This happened at 15,000 miles when the Lexus dealer was supposed to change out the diff fluid and forgot to refill it. It's just human error.

C6MagRed 10-02-2013 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Daekwan06 (Post 1585068583)
I'm always skeptical of these "my friend" stories.

Its different when talking directly with the owner, as you get 1st hand point of view. And get the whole story, not half of it.

Oops... missed dealer post... Good to know!!!

WildVettes 10-02-2013 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by C6MagRed (Post 1585069514)
:iagree:... Not gonna believe this any more than the supposed drag strip claims without time slip....

Let the person who's car broke join the forum and post his experience, along with documentation. Otherwise its an urban legend as far as I'm concerned.

You should read a little further and have a little more faith. It has been 100% confirmed! :cheers:

sotirisf 10-02-2013 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by pookie (Post 1585069472)
I had a Lexus GX470 that had the same problem (No fluid in Diff). It can happen to any car manufacturer. The Car was smart enough to go into "Limp mode" (Top speed of 20MPH 2nd gear only) so there was no long term damage.

This happened at 15,000 miles when the Lexus dealer was supposed to change out the diff fluid and forgot to refill it. It's just human error.

Its not human error on a newly built car.
Its either stupidity at the manufacturing site for the differential, or stupidity by the factory assembling the components to a final product.
At the factory- a checklist and reasonable precautions to CHECK the product before going out are not unrealistic to expect.
WTF?!?!?! its 3000+lbs of metal with velocity and combustible fluids going on a public road with innocent bystanders!
Its crap like this that gives the government a bigger door into regulating everything, or worse a lower than whale-$hit lawyer coming in and making an example of the company.

And its really human error AND stupidity when a dealer tech forgets to put in dif fluid.

C6MagRed 10-02-2013 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by WildVettes (Post 1585069533)
You should read a little further and have a little more faith. It has been 100% confirmed! :cheers:

Funny, but you don't look anything at all like my mother or my wife:D

OnPoint 10-02-2013 01:26 PM

That sucks. Glad to hear they figured it out quickly.

plumalan 10-02-2013 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1585068166)
Yeah, but at some point people are going to start buying the cars. Regardless of the magnitude of problems, which are always anticipated with new launches, I personally believe this car was rushed into production before it has reach the "Ready" threshold. But who am I to decide.

That is true how are you to be the one. This the real world folks. Things happen. Get over it.

WildVettes 10-02-2013 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by C6MagRed (Post 1585069548)
Funny, but you don't look anything at all like my mother or my wife:D

I would hope not, otherwise I am sorry for you. :rofl:

ufaj26 10-02-2013 01:36 PM

This is a great dealership!!!

I have dealt with Jim Ellis Chevy for almost 20 years and also know Mark Frost at the dealership. I have always found them to be a class act. :thumbs:

Alvin

WestPalmCorvette 10-02-2013 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by sotirisf (Post 1585069545)
Its either stupidity at the manufacturing site for the differential, or stupidity by the factory assembling the components to a final product.
At the factory- a checklist and reasonable precautions to CHECK the product before going out are not unrealistic to expect.
WTF?!?!?! its 3000+lbs of metal with velocity and combustible fluids going on a public road with innocent bystanders!
Its crap like this that gives the government a bigger door into regulating everything, or worse a lower than whale-$hit lawyer coming in and making an example of the company.

And its really human error AND stupidity when a dealer tech forgets to put in dif fluid.

I agree, it's totally unacceptable.
How errors like this occur is really mind boggling.
Very disappointing in my opinion.

lawdogg149 10-02-2013 01:48 PM

We had 5 ford crown vic patrol cars this happened to back several years ago. It wasn't on the PDI list to check either. I was driving on of them when it went out. This can be real dangerous and has caused many fires in the past. Good catch Jim Ellis

DEciiBel 10-02-2013 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by sotirisf (Post 1585069545)

The dealer does a check list. After punching it out they are DONE. Stupidity here is not questioned, who is stupid is.
It would appear it was the factory. I'm pretty sure an employee or two are about to have their butts reamed for erring like this.
As to your government issue, WTF are you a tea bagger? A car broke down. It happens get over it.
As to the OP, thanks for giving every sane individual the heads-up. All of the guys who have not accepted delivery yet can question the dealer about this.
As stated on the Ferrari forum, Corvettes are anvils. Anvils do crack sometimes.
:willy:

MikeyTX 10-02-2013 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by pewter99 (Post 1585068580)
:nonod:

And you are shaking your head sideways because ?

MikeyTX 10-02-2013 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by senah (Post 1585068970)
the good news is that there are lemon laws and only a very small percentage have to use them.

The good news is the lemon law doesn't count in this case unless GM refuses to cover it.

Aviator 10-02-2013 02:22 PM

Sorry to hear about your friend's troubles. Jim Ellis has David Fulcher as their lead Corvette mechanic, and he is fantastic. I am certain he will fix the problem, even though the C7 is brand new.

MarkRx 10-02-2013 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by texvette2 (Post 1585068294)
Hummmmmm 7 years later and a Corvette still can't make it home because of a
transmission problem

:rofl: Finally, no more crap about my GT-R LOL.