CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   ran over a parking lot concrete island, now have rear TPMS problems (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3350788-ran-over-a-parking-lot-concrete-island-now-have-rear-tpms-problems.html)

anasazi 10-02-2013 10:19 PM

ran over a parking lot concrete island, now have rear TPMS problems

So long story short I rounded a corner and discovered it wasn't where I wanted to go, did a 3 point-ish turn and didn't see a concrete island in the parking lot and up and over I went.

Scraped the frame/fiberglass in the front left behind the front tire and the rear right just in front of the rear right tire. There does not appear to be any other damage.

Now I'm getting a SERVICE TPMS message and both of the rear sensors are showing XX PSI.

Where is the signal for the TPMS picked up? Might I have snagged a wire somewhere? Where does the TPMS wiring run along the frame towards the rear of the car? I don't really see any wires vulnerable to getting snagged from scraping the bottom of the car.

This is a 2007 C6.

Redrocket1045 10-02-2013 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by anasazi (Post 1585074781)
So long story short I rounded a corner and discovered it wasn't where I wanted to go, did a 3 point-ish turn and didn't see a concrete island in the parking lot and up and over I went.

Scraped the frame/fiberglass in the front left behind the front tire and the rear right just in front of the rear right tire. There does not appear to be any other damage.

Now I'm getting a SERVICE TPMS message and both of the rear sensors are showing XX PSI.

Where is the signal for the TPMS picked up? Might I have snagged a wire somewhere? Where does the TPMS wiring run along the frame towards the rear of the car? I don't really see any wires vulnerable to getting snagged from scraping the bottom of the car.

This is a 2007 C6.

There are no wires. The TPMS uses a small round battery in each sensor which has about a 6 year or so life span. Some say they get more years - but 6 or so is an average. I would try to re-set the sensors first and if that doesn't work - well it's time to either replace the sensor or replace the battery in each sensor. The batteries are cheap but replacing the battery is a drawn out process which isn't hard but breaking the bead of the tire at home might be. I always have some old spare sensors ready for use which I have installed fresh batteries. I always take my car to Discount Tire for the re-learn which they do for free. In any case - it might just be a coincidence that your TPMS problem showed up when you ran over the concrete island. Good luck.

croatbob 10-03-2013 08:48 AM

if u hit it hard enough u may have bottomed the tire out n broke the sensor off that valve?

Walt White Coupe 10-03-2013 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Redrocket1045 (Post 1585075356)
There are no wires. The TPMS uses a small round battery in each sensor which has about a 6 year or so life span. Some say they get more years - but 6 or so is an average. I would try to re-set the sensors first and if that doesn't work - well it's time to either replace the sensor or replace the battery in each sensor. The batteries are cheap but replacing the battery is a drawn out process which isn't hard but breaking the bead of the tire at home might be. I always have some old spare sensors ready for use which I have installed fresh batteries. I always take my car to Discount Tire for the re-learn which they do for free. In any case - it might just be a coincidence that your TPMS problem showed up when you ran over the concrete island. Good luck.

The sensor is not designed so an "ordinary" person can change the battery in them. The entire sensor is designed to be replaced. You will NEVER break the bead of one of these tires at home.

MBB 10-03-2013 04:56 PM

Discount tire rebuilds TPMS sensors for something like $7 each IIRC

Walt White Coupe 10-03-2013 05:13 PM

"Rebuild" is a misnomer. They change the tire sealing "O" ring and add a new nut. The unit is not "rebuildable".

anasazi 10-03-2013 07:59 PM

Where is the sensor that picks up the signals given off by each tire pressure sensor? Is that located in the rear of the car somewhere?

EVRose 10-03-2013 08:42 PM

I dont know for sure but the receiver is probably behind the dash somewhere.

SUB VETTE 10-04-2013 07:41 AM

You may have bent a wheel also. Check out the wheels on a balancing machine when you replace the sensors at a tire shop.

TitanTPMS 10-04-2013 09:57 AM

All good info so far. Couple things you can try!
1. Deflate the tire let it sit 5 minutes then air it back up to what the placard says! That should reset the TPMS.
2. Have the tire shop scan the sensor to see if its still transmitting. If not then your sensor is bad. you need to replace.

XmentalPilot 10-04-2013 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by anasazi (Post 1585083178)
Where is the sensor that picks up the signals given off by each tire pressure sensor? Is that located in the rear of the car somewhere?

Let's use a little logic here.... The TPMS reciever (also the same reciever for your key fobs) is recieving the signal from the front tires.... So, it is working. Take the advice given in the previous posts and do a reset on all 4 tires. Go to discount tire and have them do it with their TPMS tool it will be quick and painless!!

Gearhead Jim 10-05-2013 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by TitanTPMS (Post 1585087441)
All good info so far. Couple things you can try!
1. Deflate the tire let it sit 5 minutes then air it back up to what the placard says! That should reset the TPMS.
2. Have the tire shop scan the sensor to see if its still transmitting. If not then your sensor is bad. you need to replace.

His car is a 2007, my understanding is that the deflate/inflate reset only worked on one year (2010?) if you have the stock sensors.

TitanTPMS 10-07-2013 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1585101204)
His car is a 2007, my understanding is that the deflate/inflate reset only worked on one year (2010?) if you have the stock sensors.

By reseting I mean that it will recalibrate the TPMS. If the ID's are learned already then you don't need to do the relearn procedure. You just need to "wake" the tpms back up and the will fix the XX problem That is if the TPMS are still transmitting!