CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Yet another paint flaw. Paint peeling / flaking / bubbling (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3372413-yet-another-paint-flaw-paint-peeling-flaking-bubbling.html)

VETTE-NV 11-13-2013 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by petedel (Post 1585420155)
romaja

I will post my findings to this thread when I inspect my new car.

Best of luck! I hope your car shows that all issues have been addressed. Looking forward to your report.

BIg Wash AZ 11-13-2013 02:36 PM

is it just me?

I wish this OP had never bought his car.

petee1997 11-13-2013 03:10 PM

After reading this thread, I think I will put my purchase plans on hold for a while.

I still think GM got the C7 right but it needs refinement. I think I will wait for the 2015 model.

Maybe GM should be delivering only half as many cars and ensuring top quality. No car leaves the factory unless it's perfect.

This type of bs turns off the import buyers they are trying to attract.

R&L's C6 11-13-2013 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by BIg Wash AZ (Post 1585420701)

Why, is it somehow his fault for receiving a car with quality control issues? Should he just shut up and live with the issues?

romaja 11-13-2013 04:10 PM

Yes, you are the only one.

runutzzzzz 11-13-2013 04:22 PM

Do you mean that you wish I never bought it because you feel bad for me?

or

Do you wish I never bought it because you are tired of the issues people, including myself, are having?

Either way I'm ok dealing with the issues as long as they are resolved in a timely fashion to my satisfaction.

I'm still very happy with the car. It's :thumbs:

AORoads 11-13-2013 04:23 PM

Why are you still on CF then? Why don't you turn in your "avatar/name?"

Originally Posted by Vette-Pilot (Post 1585419151)
Don't know what you guys actually expected from GM but this stuff has always been an issue of GM cars.

I have owned 3 Corvettes, the latest was a 2007 C6 Z06 and the build quality and the over all engineering of the cars were just horrible. They look beautiful from a short distance but if you get up close and god forbid you actually take one apart then you actually get to see how cheap these cars are made.

Corvette engineers keep touting how they have increased the quality of craftsmanship to rival the European vehicles, well it really saddens me to realize that they once again have fallen way short.

I personally have given up on Corvette and have moved on. They are pricing themselves out of the market as far as I am concerned. I would rather spend $70,000.00 elsewhere.

For those of you who love their Corvettes then more power to you :thumbs: I hope you get many problem free miles and fun out of them but I doubt you will ever see me in one again :(

nous defions 11-13-2013 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vette-Pilot (Post 1585419151)
Don't know what you guys actually expected from GM but this stuff has always been an issue of GM cars.

I have owned 3 Corvettes, the latest was a 2007 C6 Z06 and the build quality and the over all engineering of the cars were just horrible. They look beautiful from a short distance but if you get up close and god forbid you actually take one apart then you actually get to see how cheap these cars are made.

Corvette engineers keep touting how they have increased the quality of craftsmanship to rival the European vehicles, well it really saddens me to realize that they once again have fallen way short.

I personally have given up on Corvette and have moved on. They are pricing themselves out of the market as far as I am concerned. I would rather spend $70,000.00 elsewhere.

For those of you who love their Corvettes then more power to you :thumbs: I hope you get many problem free miles and fun out of them but I doubt you will ever see me in one again :(

Certainly a valid point of view, and you certainly are entitled to it.

romaja 11-13-2013 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243 (Post 1585419031)
And then you slid into the cockpit of your amazing 14 year old C5 and wondered if you were in a Cavalier of the same year. Then you drove it onto the road and admired the rattles and squeaks as your rolled along, even on smooth pavement.

Come on guys, seriously? The orange peel is not like the pictures on every vehicle. The interior of the car is astonishing and it is a technological marvel. Here's and idea - don't place an order. Wait until you see them on the lots. Then pick the one that you are satisfied with and drive it home. Many of you won't be buying a C7 anyway. You are just on the forums trying to rattle some nerves.

Greetings, Slappy:

Despite people supplying you evidence of many different cars with fitment issues and orange peel, you still seem dismissive and wont accept the fact that a great number of these cars have problems. Somehow these people are complainers and are not Corvette enthusiasts.

Your constant drum beat of “it's not that bad” rings hollow. You received your car and it is acceptable to you. Glad to hear.

A great many have received their cars and are not happy and with good reason. This can be a stressful time for a new owner. Must of us accept the fact that mechanical issues come up. What is alarming is I see a car with a #3500 number with acceptable paint, then I see another one #4000 that has glaring QC issues. It appears it is not just the first ones off the line.

Your allegations above suggesting that many of the forum member won't be buying and are only present to "rattle some nerves" could not be farther from the truth. I for one, have placed a deposit down on a 2015 C7 through a dealership in Kellogg ID. The dealership is a member on the forum. I suppose I could contact him and supply you with proof although you don't seem to deal with proof and factual data very well. Please let me know and I will do my best to supply you with this.

When it is time to order my car, I will be clear with the dealership as to what my expectations will be. I don't want him to be disappointed and I don't want be disappointed either. If the paint is as good as my neighbor's Chevy Spark, I will be happy. But a bad paint issue will follow me around like herpes. It never goes away, all the way up to the sale of the car or trade in. Many of the forum members have a long history of ownership, many have owned 10+ Corvettes and some 20. Most don't like what they see and I trust their judgement. Knowledge is power. I like to be informed and that is why I am here.

Upon delivery, if the car looks like it was painted and assembled by a high school shop class, I will be forced to refuse it. That said, I will be disappointed as I really want the car.

I could accept an inferior car and “shuffle to the train with my head down” but I would be doing a disservice to future Corvette owners and the GM name.

You unknowingly seem to advocate against yourself by allowing GM to deem this as an acceptable practice. Very shortsighted, indeed. The change will need to come from the top of the company. This forum contains many repeat customers and their vote counts. Hopefully GM is listening. This forum has the capacity to make a change.

Find some charity in your heart and compassion for your fellow brethren who have taken delivery and experienced problems and also the people who have orders in with justifiable anxiety. They are the future of GM.

VETTE-NV 11-13-2013 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by romaja (Post 1585421798)
Greetings, Slappy:

Despite people supplying you evidence of many different cars with fitment issues and orange peel, you still seem dismissive and wont accept the fact that a great number of these cars have problems. Somehow these people are complainers and are not Corvette enthusiasts.

Your constant drum beat of “it's not that bad” rings hollow. You received your car and it is acceptable to you. Glad to hear.

A great many have received their cars and are not happy and with good reason. This can be a stressful time for a new owner. Must of us accept the fact that mechanical issues come up. What is alarming is I see a car with a #3500 number with acceptable paint, then I see another one #4000 that has glaring QC issues. It appears it is not just the first ones off the line.

Your allegations above suggesting that many of the forum member won't be buying and are only present to "rattle some nerves" could not be farther from the truth. I for one, have placed a deposit down on a 2015 C7 through a dealership in Kellogg ID. The dealership is a member on the forum. I suppose I could contact him and supply you with proof although you don't seem to deal with proof and factual data very well. Please let me know and I will do my best to supply you with this.

When it is time to order my car, I will be clear with the dealership as to what my expectations will be. I don't want him to be disappointed and I don't want be disappointed either. If the paint is as good as my neighbor's Chevy Spark, I will be happy. But a bad paint issue will follow me around like herpes. It never goes away, all the way up to the sale of the car or trade in. Many of the forum members have a long history of ownership, many have owned 10+ Corvettes and some 20. Most don't like what they see and I trust their judgement. Knowledge is power. I like to be informed and that is why I am here.

Upon delivery, if the car looks like it was painted and assembled by a high school shop class, I will be forced to refuse it. That said, I will be disappointed as I really want the car.

I could accept an inferior car and “shuffle to the train with my head down” but I would be doing a disservice to future Corvette owners and the GM name.

You unknowingly seem to advocate against yourself by allowing GM to deem this as an acceptable practice. Very shortsighted, indeed. The change will need to come from the top of the company. This forum contains many repeat customers and their vote counts. Hopefully GM is listening. This forum has the capacity to make a change.

Find some charity in your heart and compassion for your fellow brethren who have taken delivery and experienced problems and also the people who have orders in with justifiable anxiety. They are the future of GM.

:thumbs: I bought three C4's, two C5's, and four C6's. I'd say that gives me the right to express my concern for the poor QC of the C7 without being chastised for it. I raise these issues not because I hate the car, but because I love the brand.

romaja 11-13-2013 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585421906)
:thumbs: I bought three C4's, two C5's, and four C6's. I'd say that gives me the right to express my concern for the poor QC of the C7 without being chastised for it. I raise these issues not because I hate the car, but because I love the brand.

Definitely gives you the right. Thats a bunch of cars!

Slappy3243 11-13-2013 05:22 PM

Greetings, Slappy:

I feel bad for the people who have taken delivery of cars with issues. It sucks to be in that situation and I want their problems resolved. However, this is not happening on every C7 like some members make it out to be. That is my issue. I beat no drum my friend. I took delivery of a vehicle which met my expectations and would like everybody else to do the same. This is a big purchase for many including myself.

That being said, there are only so many threads about the same topic that I can tolerate. After that, it gets boring and old. It just clutters up the forum and makes threads that are interesting much harder to find. That is all I am saying. The topic is beaten to death daily. We really should have a sub-forum for it.

I really did laugh though when the comparison to the C5 was made. I just picture a guy looking at a 14 year old car and actually convincing himself it is anywhere near the same level as a C7. It is a dated car, especially the interior. If you feel it has better paint then that is your opinion, but that is where it has to stop. The C7 is a better car in every tangible way :).

romaja 11-13-2013 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243 (Post 1585422122)
I feel bad for the people who have taken delivery of cars with issues. It sucks to be in that situation and I want their problems resolved. However, this is not happening on every C7 like some members make it out to be. That is my issue. I beat no drum my friend. I took delivery of a vehicle which met my expectations and would like everybody else to do the same. This is a big purchase for many including myself.

That being said, there are only so many threads about the same topic that I can tolerate. After that, it gets boring and old. It just clutters up the forum and makes threads that are interesting much harder to find. That is all I am saying. The topic is beaten to death daily. We really should have a sub-forum for it.

I really did laugh though when the comparison to the C5 was made. I just picture a guy looking at a 14 year old car and actually convincing himself it is anywhere near the same level as a C7. It is a dated car, especially the interior. If you feel it has better paint then that is your opinion, but that is where it has to stop. The C7 is a better car in every tangible way :).

Yes, I fell in love with the C7 the first time I saw it (even the taillights). They have spent a lot of time on reengineering. The interior is awesome!

Understand, Peace!

Shaka 11-13-2013 07:43 PM

Ward's road test of the $360 000 Rolls Royce Wraith today.

"Fit-and-finish problems mar the experience, such as the wobbly radio volume knob and poorly aligned joint between leather and carpet next to the front passenger’s left knee.

And a surprising array of black plastic switchgear, A-pillar air vents and other interior trim seems out of place in a car for the rich and famous. And how can this clientele accept a car without cooled seats? They’re optional.

On the safety front, the side mirrors are oversized and too tall, to the point of seriously blocking the driver’s sightline, particularly out the passenger side.

But the Wraith is just what Rolls-Royce needs to muss up its stodgy hair and cater to a younger breed of entrepreneurs."

Cool seats are an option. Poor bastards.

Red08 11-13-2013 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz (Post 1585395185)
No, the paint is missing from the fender.

For the fender? Sure! :thumbs:

You're crazy if you think that's acceptable!

It doesn't take a magnifying glass to see that the paint is chipping away.

Are you saying it's "normal" and I should I just live with it and not worry about anything else happening to it? Such as moisture getting under the paint during the winter and freezing and lifting the paint up further? Would that be acceptable too? LMAO :crazy2:

Get used to it. There are folks on the C7 forum that cannot tolerate one iota of anyone being critical of anything about the C7.

Carl44 11-13-2013 08:38 PM

The thing that concerns me is the lack of knowledge on the dealer side. There's a ton of new (for corvette) tech that with the exception of the engineers that designed it, i don't think anyone knows how to fix. I haven't cancelled my order , still in..carl

Guibo 11-13-2013 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shaka (Post 1585423215)
Ward's road test of the $360 000 Rolls Royce Wraith today.
"Fit-and-finish problems mar the experience, such as the wobbly radio volume knob and poorly aligned joint between leather and carpet next to the front passenger’s left knee.
And a surprising array of black plastic switchgear, A-pillar air vents and other interior trim seems out of place in a car for the rich and famous. And how can this clientele accept a car without cooled seats? They’re optional.
On the safety front, the side mirrors are oversized and too tall, to the point of seriously blocking the driver’s sightline, particularly out the passenger side.
But the Wraith is just what Rolls-Royce needs to muss up its stodgy hair and cater to a younger breed of entrepreneurs."
Cool seats are an option. Poor bastards.

That's only one test car, and I'd be surprised if Rolls actually delivered a car with that carpet issue to a paying customer. There's less black plastic in a Bentley Mulsanne, true, but to some the excessive brightwork can look OTT blingy (Wraith is supposed to be a step down from the Phantom, remember). Plastic A-pillar air vents...what else are they supposed to be made from? The rest of that article describes where Rolls chose to spend its resources:

"Far and away, the most astounding feature of the new Wraith interior is the matte-finish Canadel paneling, made of Brazilian rosewood and named for the cove in France where Henry Royce once vacationed. The grain of the rosewood is canted rearward at 55 degrees and flows continuously through the four door-trim panels all the way back to a point of convergence perfectly centered between the two rear seats. At that point, the occupant realizes the grain on either side of the chevron is identical. This mirror-image design theme carries forward atop the consoles between both the front and rear seats, establishing a visual center right along the driveshaft tunnel. It’s like staring down along the peaks of the Appalachian Trail.

http://www.autohotest.com/wp-content...ccessories.jpg

At night, you can do this under the soft illumination of the Starlight Headliner, which uses five LED modules concealed in the roof feeding 1,340 fiber-optic lamps that shine through a random pattern of holes perforated in the leather over head. The feature is becoming popular for Rolls-Royce, and no two Starlight Headliners have the same twinkling array. Some customers have requested patterns of their astrological signs or to replicate the sky at the precise moment and place of their birth."

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/brhO9rcwPjCl.jpg

Plastic interior bits are not a fit and finish defect. Excessive orange peel, scratched paint and misaligned body panels are.

Hirohawa 11-13-2013 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585424133)
T

At night, you can do this under the soft illumination of the Starlight Headliner, which uses five LED modules concealed in the roof feeding 1,340 fiber-optic lamps that shine through a random pattern of holes perforated in the leather over head. The feature is becoming popular for Rolls-Royce, and no two Starlight Headliners have the same twinkling array. Some customers have requested patterns of their astrological signs or to replicate the sky at the precise moment and place of their birth."[/i]

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/brhO9rcwPjCl.jpg

That is really awesome!

Guibo 11-13-2013 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hirohawa (Post 1585424285)
That is really awesome!

It's a nice touch. Their version of ambient lighting, I guess. :D

Hirohawa 11-13-2013 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585424628)
It's a nice touch. Their version of ambient lighting, I guess. :D

Never seen that before. I like it. More cars need that special something that is all but non existent these days.