CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   At what net worth or what income level to consider a 70k vette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3376597-at-what-net-worth-or-what-income-level-to-consider-a-70k-vette.html)

3boystoys 11-21-2013 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Roadrunner 73 (Post 1585483998)
:iagree: I agree. If Texas became its own please keep the door open for me. You guys have no idea.......... :willy:

Maybe Mexico will take Texas back!

z51vett 11-21-2013 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585459789)
Just curious to see what some of ya'll say. I considered both on mine. Not sure if their is a formula(like for how much of a house you can afford) for toys. Both my payment and principal as % of assets are lower than 10%. Seems like it wouldn't hurt for me especially because i know my man obama is going to change my diaper when I get old. :rock:

What about ya'll how do you budget in a badass toy like a c7.

If I can make the payment without killing my self I buy it no formula just plain can I make the payment without giving up everything else.
z51vett
Doug

gixxerbill 11-21-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 3boystoys (Post 1585484527)
Maybe Mexico will take Texas back!

naaa we have more guns than even the govt of mexico.:thumbs:

gixxerbill 11-21-2013 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Roadrunner 73 (Post 1585483998)
:iagree: I agree. If Texas became its own please keep the door open for me. You guys have no idea.......... :willy:

you know it buddy!:rock:

3boystoys 11-21-2013 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585485628)

Ask the drug lords there, think it might be close.

Lipstic 11-21-2013 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585485628)

:iagree:
Maybe South should just seceed again....if that happens I know we have more guns than Mexico and South American combined....
:rofl:

flange 11-21-2013 06:37 PM

monthly gross income x twenty eight percent is the maximum allowable housing cost. monthly gross income times thirty eight percent is the maximum allowable expense ratio. That is my rule.

I took a four year note on my car (78k out the door) of thirty k. paid it off in eleven months.

nbrigdan 11-21-2013 06:57 PM

Personally I don't buy any car that I can't buy outright, and I make sure it's worth either less than or equal to 10% of my net worth. That said, still, not smart in tying up money you can't afford to lose.

Jbnick 11-21-2013 07:14 PM

We are the First Nation in the history of the world to go to the poor house in an automobile. Will Rogers

Need or Want? If you really need it you can probably afford it. If you want it, this is part that get most into the poor house.

gixxerbill 11-22-2013 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 3boystoys (Post 1585485671)
Ask the drug lords there, think it might be close.

it's not even a fraction. it is estimated that texas owns 51 million of the us total guns of 240 million. we would kick those cartel asses in to the rio grand if the stupid feds would let us. http://www.ask.com/question/how-many...-guns-in-texas

VNAMVET 11-22-2013 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by lgodom (Post 1585460133)
Below is some info copied from the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Interactive Details Book.

CORVETTE LOYALIST
• 72% Buyers 55+
• 55% College Graduate
• 58% Urban/Suburban
• 11% Mid-Level Manager
• $133,000 Household Income
• Tend to Buy – Fulfillment of a Dream

CORVETTE CONQUEST
• 45% Buyers 55+
• 81% College Graduate
• 69% Urban/Suburban
• 58% Professionals, Business Owners, Senior Execs
• $257,000 Household Income
• Often Lease – Another Perk

Corvette Minimalist......unemployed/retired......

glad2hver 11-22-2013 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585459789)
Just curious to see what some of ya'll say. I considered both on mine. Not sure if their is a formula(like for how much of a house you can afford) for toys. Both my payment and principal as % of assets are lower than 10%. Seems like it wouldn't hurt for me especially because i know my man obama is going to change my diaper when I get old. :rock:

What about ya'll how do you budget in a badass toy like a c7.

If you can even consider buying a vette do not count on our emperial leader to tend to you're golden years. Its not on his agenda😝

glad2hver 11-22-2013 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by VNAMVET (Post 1585497438)
Corvette Minimalist......unemployed/retired......

$257k household income. Living in northern nj suburbs with a family that $ gets multiple cars. But toys like a vette can easily still be out of reach.

gixxerbill 11-22-2013 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by glad2hver (Post 1585497472)
If you can even consider buying a vette do not count on our emperial leader to tend to you're golden years. Its not on his agenda😝

you didn't know I was being sarcastic? obama is an idiot dumbest laziest pres ever.

#1c6 11-22-2013 07:36 PM

i dont kno anyone that pays cash for a vehicle lol

BeaZt 11-22-2013 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585498211)
you didn't know I was being sarcastic? obama is an idiot dumbest laziest pres ever.

Actually Calvin Coolidge was the laziest and Warren Harding was the dumbest...just saying lol

JerriVette 11-23-2013 05:30 AM

You sound like the rest of us did when we young. Consider that balance is the key and like the rest of us you'll have the best of both worlds.

Congrats

Originally Posted by Supermassive (Post 1585483649)
Ah yes the proverbial "good advice" post.

I plan on selling both my cars to put a sizeable down payment on the Vette. The good advice about putting money in the bank...well i have a rainy day fund but it's there more as a cushion than anything else. i have no delusions of retirement and sitting idly around a house. I enjoy my line of work and will likely be able to continue in my industry for years and years to come. Saving money is the "wise and sensible" thing and I have nothing against people who do that, I just don't believe in the "make sacrifices now to reap rewards in the future" mentality.

I am a here and now kind of person, i live in the moment, do things as they come up, and if I need to save up to do something later I have the flexibility in my life to do so. I may eventually have a wife, kids are less likely, but life is pretty screwy so nothing is ever set in stone. I will never look back on my life regret missing out on something like the new Vette. i know that sounds overly materialistic but I am still young and capable of doing things that i know that i might not be able to do as well in my 50's or older. I know there will be a bunch of the older generation that will expound on the virtues of patience and whatnot, but life is not guaranteed and if i were to die a year from now, i would prefer to have spent my money in a fashion of my choosing instead of squirreling it away in hopes that i make it to retirement with a huge nest egg so I can "potentially" live comfortably til I die.

I know that my argument is thin, and i really do know that the "right" thing to do is to save money. But my passion, in all things gear head, drives me more than sense. So yes I hear your advice, but in my case, it's unwanted, and furthermore I hope you do not judge me because i want something now and not 10, 15, 20 years from now. I live in an automobile renaissance, performance cars that i would have dreamed of owning only 2 years ago are within my reach, why should I forego my dream when I can attain it in the near term? Why not buy my Vette now, and pay it off in a few years so that i have the toy I want paid off before I have to deal with marriage and the tribulations that go with it.

To each their own I guess.

Achmed 12-10-2013 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1585460470)
If you have to ask, perhaps this is more in line with your circumstance

If you have to open this thread it means you can't afford it

Dave80C3 12-10-2013 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1585465672)
Traditionally 26 weeks of income should equal the price of the car you purchase.

Still common sense says 140 grand a year income for a new 70 grand car.

Yep, I would agree, or even a bit larger income. I also feel you should be spending more a month on retiremetn and investments than on Cars.

Originally Posted by StingRaycer (Post 1585466812)
1. Do you have at least three months of income preferably (4-6mo) saved and ready for
immediate use Six months
2. Are you fully funding your retirement each and every month Yes and then some
3. Are your monthly debt service payments very low? No revolving debt, and pay extra on the house
4. If you are married with kids, do you have adequate ( not the rainy day fund in #1) Kids grown and married
savings set aside to take care and educate them if you in the event you are not
there to take care of them in the future.

If you can answer yes to those three questions then you have your financial house in order and you have the ability to use a large part of your disposable income for whatever you want - house - Corvette - boat - vacations whatever.

Yep, Harleys, boat, and vette:thumbs:

Originally Posted by Rad22 (Post 1585471004)
Just remember that it was folks in his profession and related financial institutions that nearly put this country underground in 2008. I still haven't forgiven them for that.

Jimmy Carter is who started the mess and allowed the bankers to lend with out 20% down for a mortgage. His idea was everyone should be able to buy a home.

Seriously, there would have been a whole lot less defaults if everyone put 20% down on their house. When you owe more on your house than you paid for it it, and have none of your money tied up in it, walking away is easy.

KingMotley 12-10-2013 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585483416)
that is stupid. i swear govts seem to try to find a way to hurt the economy

glad i live in the state of Texas wishing it was the country of Texas.

I'd move to the country of Texas... If they moved the corvette factory there.