CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Store with headlights up, or down? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3381926-store-with-headlights-up-or-down.html)

toolman0114 11-28-2013 07:32 AM

Store with headlights up, or down?

Got into a debate about the best position to leave the headlights in for long term (winter) storage.
I say in the up position, as it releases the tension on the internal diaphragm of the actuator. When the headlights are down you are actually stretching the diaphragm.
My buddy says down is better, I know it stores better since they are down. Does it really matter.

Alan 71 11-28-2013 08:07 AM

Hi t,
I just took a look at the mechanism movement from closed to open to closed and I don't see that the position would make any difference over a period of time. The springs are always under tension and the vacuum will leak off as the days go by.
So I think closed.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Regards,
Alan

IF doing SOMETHING would make you feel better.... release the 4 springs on each mechanism.

toolman0114 11-28-2013 09:46 AM

Not concerned with the springs, it's the rubber diaphragm in the actuator canister. When the headlights are up the pressure is off the diaphragm, when the headlights are closed you are actually stretching the rubber diaphragm.
I had to replace on last spring as the rubber diaphragm had stretched and would not function properly.

Originally Posted by Alan 71 (Post 1585543141)
Hi t,
I just took a look at the mechanism movement from closed to open to closed and I don't see that the position would make any difference over a period of time. The springs are always under tension and the vacuum will leak off as the days go by.
So I think closed.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Regards,
Alan

IF doing SOMETHING would make you feel better.... release the 4 springs on each mechanism.

Easy Mike 11-28-2013 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by toolman0114 (Post 1585542968)
...Does it really matter...

Probably not. FWIW mine are always left down.

:thumbs:

Mike Ward 11-28-2013 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by toolman0114 (Post 1585543836)
Not concerned with the springs, it's the rubber diaphragm in the actuator canister. When the headlights are up the pressure is off the diaphragm, when the headlights are closed you are actually stretching the rubber diaphragm.
I had to replace on last spring as the rubber diaphragm had stretched and would not function properly.

When the light are down the diaphragm is being 'stretched' rearwards. When the lights are up the diaphragm is being 'stretched' forwards.

The only position where the diaphragm is not being 'stretched' is when the lights are midway through their travel.

My actuators are 40+ years old as far as I can figure out and work just fine no matter which position I leave them in.

qwank 11-28-2013 10:46 AM

30+ years here of leaving them down and still working great

Alan 71 11-28-2013 11:44 AM

Hi t,
I'd say by pulling the red and green stripped hoses off the actuators' nipples you'd release any pressure on the diaphragm seal.
Regards,
Alan

7T1vette 11-28-2013 12:46 PM

It doesn't matter.

Alwyn678 11-28-2013 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1585543918)
Probably not. FWIW mine are always left down.

:thumbs:

:yesnod:

qtlow 11-28-2013 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1585544207)
When the light are down the diaphragm is being 'stretched' rearwards. When the lights are up the diaphragm is being 'stretched' forwards.

:iagree: This is exactly right. So as far as long term storage goes it wouldn't make a difference.

If anything would be under stress, I think it would be the seals on the rod end of the actuator because these are compressed or rolled over in the down position. So, leaving the lights up would actually keep them in their natural state.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/images/43463.JPG

FWIW, I leave my lights up all winter long just to keep those old and possibly brittle seals from moving around too much in the cold weather when driving after dark.
Yes, I drive my car year round as long as the roads are dry. :thumbs:

myoriginal77 11-28-2013 01:30 PM

really .... it's come to this .....

Happy Thanksgiving !

Frank

AGVI 11-28-2013 04:57 PM

I think the cars owners are under more stress than the actual parts on the car.

stevelischynsky 11-28-2013 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1585544207)

The only position where the diaphragm is not being 'stretched' is when the lights are midway through their travel.

My actuators are 40+ years old as far as I can figure out and work just fine no matter which position I leave them in.

So let see, after reading these threads, it's best to duct tape the lights as they are being moved up but only to the half way point. Then remove the tubing and plug all four ends with duct tap. Then unclip the springs.

Shouldn't take more than an hour to set it up and then another hour to put it back together. This way you could get 80+ yrs.:D

Steve L
73 coupe since new