CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   C5 carbon fiber roof halo (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3386863-c5-carbon-fiber-roof-halo.html)

Cathole 12-08-2013 03:13 AM

C5 carbon fiber roof halo

Has anyone done this, really been searching but have not found anything out there. Is there any places that sell this kinda thing?

4 KRUSIN 12-08-2013 10:18 AM

I have been considering this as well. The car in the following pic inspired me (belongs to another forum member and I think the halo is black not CF). After seeing it, I was considering CF, but have since decided that if I go ahead, I will do straight black. There are 3 ways to do it: paint, wrap or plasti-dip. Each has their advantages, but the latter 2 can easily be reversed. I will have mine wrapped. I got a price for this of $100. If you want to do CF, wrapping is the way to go. There are considerations you need to make. To look good, your windows need to be tinted and if you have a solid top, it should be done to match. I have both tops, but never use the solid one.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps8738b617.jpg

Cathole 12-08-2013 11:30 AM

Yeah I really want to get a glass top I like them a lot

91LSMAN 12-08-2013 01:14 PM

The way I understand it, the "halo" piece on the C5 is bonded to the frame so it is much harder to replace with a real carbon fiber piece.

The C6 halo, I believe is bolted on, so that's why those are easier to replace.

Not that I'd want to do it, but I thought about this the other day: Aftermarket carbon fiber removable top, carbon fiber halo, and Carbon fiber front splitter along with a carbon fiber rear spoiler-nothing too big-subtle-I think this would be a good look.

nvusgt 12-08-2013 01:45 PM

Honestly if you're thinking of blacking it out, go with gloss black vinyl. I grabbed some Scotchprint 1080 by 3M from the bay and wrapped my wife's 2010 Mazda 3 roof and mirrors. There was a bit of a learning curve but we knocked it out and it looked fantastic, got compliments all the time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psf9fc211b.jpg

Since then I've wrapped a few odds and ends here and there.

You can easily get a 1ft x 5ft roll for less than $20 bucks and pocket the $80 you would spend on install which is ridiculous. A 6pack and an hour of your time either with a buddy or not will get you the results you want.

Hell if you were closer I'd do it for you, it's really not hard. What gets difficult is compound curves and deep corners ie front or rear bumper.

Cathole 12-08-2013 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 47751512

This is what I have what do y'all think black with glass top are carbon my front splitter, side skirts, and spoiler are carbon fiber

Cathole 12-08-2013 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by nvusgt (Post 1585625777)
Honestly if you're thinking of blacking it out, go with gloss black vinyl. I grabbed some Scotchprint 1080 by 3M from the bay and wrapped my wife's 2010 Mazda 3 roof and mirrors. There was a bit of a learning curve but we knocked it out and it looked fantastic, got compliments all the time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psf9fc211b.jpg

Since then I've wrapped a few odds and ends here and there.

You can easily get a 1ft x 5ft roll for less than $20 bucks and pocket the $80 you would spend on install which is ridiculous. A 6pack and an hour of your time either with a buddy or not will get you the results you want.

Hell if you were closer I'd do it for you, it's really not hard. What gets difficult is compound curves and deep corners ie front or rear bumper.

Thanks for the offer I live in the dfw area texas. Wow u done a awesome job on your wife's car very nice:thumbs:

Vetteman Jack 12-08-2013 10:16 PM

I thought I have seen a post or two where the owner used some Di-Noc CF wrap to do the halo area, but I just can't be certain of that. I think it would look great on your car.

nvusgt 12-09-2013 07:29 AM

Just to clarify, if you go with a carbon wrap, DO NOT use Di-Noc for the EXTERIOR. Di-Noc was made for interior purposes ie dash, switches etc. People may chime in and say they've used it without issue but IMHO use the proper item for its intended purpose.

Scotchprint 1080 by 3M was specifically designed for exterior use and has the protection to support any weather. Also 1080 is easier to work with as it's slightly thinner thus stretching around curves and corners is less of a hassle. Not to say Di-Noc won't it's just the way the two differ.

Just be sure to use an exterior grade wrap otherwise the company doesn't doesn't back fading, discoloration etc.

yaknow 12-09-2013 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by nvusgt (Post 1585630822)
Just to clarify, if you go with a carbon wrap, DO NOT use Di-Noc for the EXTERIOR. Di-Noc was made for interior purposes ie dash, switches etc. People may chime in and say they've used it without issue but IMHO use the proper item for its intended purpose.

Scotchprint 1080 by 3M was specifically designed for exterior use and has the protection to support any weather. Also 1080 is easier to work with as it's slightly thinner thus stretching around curves and corners is less of a hassle. Not to say Di-Noc won't it's just the way the two differ.

Just be sure to use an exterior grade wrap otherwise the company doesn't doesn't back fading, discoloration etc.

Good information to know--thanks

Pfadt Racing 12-09-2013 03:37 PM

I did it on a C6 once...looked great and I got a ton of compliments. I say go for it!

Pfadt Race Engineering
888-972-2464
info@pfadtracing.com

http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/da...rum-banner.jpg

66dts-v 12-09-2013 04:41 PM

My C4 had the black halo and glass top. With the dark window tint, it looked great against the white with black wheels. I can't wait to add a glass top and dark wheels to my qucksilver coupe.

Quik Z06 12-09-2013 11:30 PM

If there was enough interest I could possibly get an overlay made, where you'd glue or double sided tape it on. 3m VHB would easily hold it on. I know for the C6 someone was making an overlay for the removeable tops and halo I believe.

Cathole 12-10-2013 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Quik Z06 (Post 1585638555)
If there was enough interest I could possibly get an overlay made, where you'd glue or double sided tape it on. 3m VHB would easily hold it on. I know for the C6 someone was making an overlay for the removeable tops and halo I believe.

I am in :D:D

Cathole 12-10-2013 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by nvusgt (Post 1585630822)

Thank u soo much for the info