CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Jan and Dean, Vette crash details ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/343311-jan-and-dean-vette-crash-details.html)

Grey Ghost 07-16-2002 01:14 AM

Jan and Dean, Vette crash details ?

I'm 37 years old. So, I don't really remember hearing them on the radio during their career. I did in the late 70's see the TV movie "Deadmans Curve" and really got into their music and bought several albums. I know the story of Jan crashing his Vette in April, 1966 and there are a few websites out there about them. You can still book them for appearances and buy souvineers. I have only seen one photo of the crashed Vette and cannot make out any details. Was it a 67 model ? Color ? Conv or HT ? BB/SB ? etc...just wondering. I have a copy of the movie that includes some pretty cool Vettes in it. I just never could find any details about the car. Does anyone know ?

propwash 07-16-2002 09:49 AM

Re: Jan and Dean, Vette crash details ? (Grey Ghost)

There is a special on J&D on the A and E channel I think it was a 66 BB, You can't book them anymore their farewell concert is Aug. 8th at Hot August Nights in Reno.

achapman 07-16-2002 11:44 AM

This link has a picture of the car, its not a good picture, but you can make out that it is a Vette. http://www.history-of-rock.com/jan_and_deantwo.htm :sad:

olredalert 07-16-2002 04:41 PM

Hey Grey Ghost,

------Please dont take this the wrong way but it would be hard for the Vette in question to be a 67 when the accident happened in April of 66.A prototype maybe?I had always heard it was a 66 big-block,but dont honestly know for sure.......................Bill S

Grey Ghost 07-16-2002 09:33 PM

Re: Jan and Dean, Vette crash details ? (olredalert)

Hey Bill,

No, I don't take that the wrong way at all ! All I heard was that it was a new car and I didn't really know when the 67's were first available. I think they use a 64 in the movie (but would have to go back and watch it again).

Do you still own Bob's Chevelle ? He lived here in Calhoun, before moving to Ocala and was a great friend. I missed out on seeing the old drag racing movies he had. I hope to see that car in person one day !

Jerry

Bob Jenkins 07-17-2002 03:16 AM

Hey Jerry I met you at the Hooters show in Kennesaw a few years back. I was driving my '70 silver convertible. My parents live in Calhoun and I visit them quite often. I was wondering why you sold your '66...... Bob Jenkins

:confused:

Grey Ghost 07-17-2002 09:35 PM

Re: Jan and Dean, Vette crash details ? (Bob Jenkins)

Hey Bob,

I remember you and your silver Vette. I got hit with a permanent layoff last Nov. was one of the main reasons. Still haven't found a job and they are slim here in the textile industry. I will get another midyear, once I am employeed again. They started a cruise night here that is the First Friday of every month in downtown Calhoun. Email me or IM me and let me know, if you make it to one and I will look you up.

Jerry

midyear 07-23-2002 07:56 PM

Jerry, I have a better pic stored somewhere on my harddrive, I believe FXT posted it on the ncrs board a few years back. I think it was determined that it was a 66 350hp 327 ac coupe that was crashed. are you going to days show?? my black 67 coupe is almost done except for getting engine completed at the machine shop. have some pics posted, it came out nice!!

Grey Ghost 07-23-2002 08:37 PM

Re: Jan and Dean, Vette crash details ? (midyear)

Hey Dennis, Great to hear from you and I am on the way to check out your website ! I plan on going to Day's. Which Vette will you bring ? (Wish I had that problem to decide :D Have you fixed the roadster yet ? If you find the pic, email it to me or post it. I've always liked Jan and Dean and wondered about the details of the car.

dctrip 08-02-2002 08:13 PM

Re: Jan and Dean, Vette crash details ? (achapman)

Thanks to "achapman" for posting this website. The narrative sure brought back memories