CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   GM Destination Fee plus Museum Delivery Fee (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3453443-gm-destination-fee-plus-museum-delivery-fee.html)

z51vett 06-20-2014 04:05 PM

The law is it if you drive it off the Assy line home you still pay delivery charge it is the same all over the country if not people in Oregon would pay say 3000 dollars someone in Kentucky would pay 200 dollars to be fair to everyone the fee is uniform and must be paid by everyone. The money the museum gets is for its operations upkeep and expansion. It's a non profit as a museum GM does not own it. They contribute to it like you and I do to support it
If you don't enjoy the museum experience don't do it. Oh and the selling dealer gets the profit of you for buying the car not the museum. GM makes it money selling to dealers not us They want us to buy from dealer so dealer can order more Corvettes.
z51vett
Doug

dwward 06-20-2014 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by laborsmith (Post 1587180105)
I did not know GM owned the National Corvette Museum.

Thanks for clueing me in.

Laborsmith

Huh?

I have no idea who owns the museum. I assume it's a 501(c)3.

I do know that GM does not own any of the businesses to which they deliver cars and charge a delivery fee.

John Ulrich 06-20-2014 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mecholova (Post 1586684865)
Some other things not mentioned about museum delivey...
1. The people doing the PDI are Corvette experts and aren't just arriving at your car after swapping pads on a Malibu. Except for the large Corvette dealers, I doubt you'll find any better inspection.

2. A dealer noticing a problem with your car (misalligned panels or scratched paint for example) dealers send it to their service department to be fixed. The museum sends it to the factory to be replaced.

3. The tours of the plant are private. You and 3 guests. You move at your own pace, ask anything you want, meet some of the plant staff and visit areas unavailable to the standard tours.

4. You have specialty clothes available to you with your car embroidered on them.

There are other things besides these but they're the first that come to mind.

Excellent explanation!
I'm happily looking forward to my museum experience on July 15th. One more "bucket list" fulfilled. :woohoo:

dwward 06-20-2014 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by John Ulrich (Post 1587180533)
Excellent explanation!
I'm happily looking forward to my museum experience on July 15th. One more "bucket list" fulfilled. :woohoo:

I live in St Louis which is a easy 4 hour drive from the museum. I'm considering the museum delivery. I would fly to Nashville and take advantage of the Enterprise one way car rental to the museum to avoid having 2 cars coming home.

I look forward to reading about your experience.

Dave@Ciocca 06-20-2014 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by dwward (Post 1587180081)
Of course they do. The MDF is the Federally mandated deliver fee. Again, GM isn't delivering the car twice, they're just charging twice.

GM is not getting the Museum Delivery Fee, the Museum is. GM does not own the Museum, it's a private, non-profit company and these fees are one of their big fund raisers. So, GM is no delivering it twice. GM is delivering the car to the museum and charging the (federally mandated) destination fee that every other Corvette in the country is also paying. The museum is getting the money from the "Corvette Museum Delivery" option.

Dave

John Ulrich 06-20-2014 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by dwward (Post 1587180617)
I live in St Louis which is a easy 4 hour drive from the museum. I'm considering the museum delivery. I would fly to Nashville and take advantage of the Enterprise one way car rental to the museum to avoid having 2 cars coming home.

I look forward to reading about your experience.

For sure I'll post-up my experience. I'm taking the "long way" home thru Michigan and around the lakes visiting friends & relatives...it'll be a 1,500 mile chance to scrub in the tires and get a few bugs splatted on the car! :thumbs:

Yea, I could of had Kerbeck drop ship it to a local dealer here but what fun would that be. I'd guess the majority of readers here are adventurous and look for the "max" experience in their lives. Even my "non-auto" friends are totally blown away that you could do what the museum offers.

laborsmith 06-20-2014 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by dwward (Post 1587180452)
Huh?

I have no idea who owns the museum. I assume it's a 501(c)3.

I do know that GM does not own any of the businesses to which they deliver cars and charge a delivery fee.

Clearly, I misunderstood your post.

Laborsmith

Larry/car 06-20-2014 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by musclecar6 (Post 1586675554)
As always, I see the super thrifties are weighing in. Happens every time this topic is brought up.

:eek: It is kinda poor when you look at the total process. You are paying a delivery charge (same as to Washington state) and really getting nothing. If you could have your car displayed at the Museum then after all the fan fare the car would be transported to the delivery dealer, price would make sense.

hankman 06-20-2014 06:19 PM

Calif hardly sees any corvettes, no allocations,no cars.....seems funny, one of the farthest
locations has no cars.....good weather all year round,

Michael A 06-20-2014 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by mpuzach (Post 1586680617)
On another note...I have a friend who is among the owners of several major auto transport companies in the U.S. We were talking one day about destination charges and he told me that on average, the transport companies typically are paid around $250 per vehicle. It would thus appear that the car manufacturers are making HUGE profits on their so-called "destination" charges.

Exactly, and how much does it cost them to run it over to the museum? $10?

Solution: GM pays the carrier $10 to deliver it to the museum, and pays $885 to the museum.

Problem solved. Museum delivery included in destination charge.:thumbs:

Michael

mjw930 06-21-2014 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1587183207)
Exactly, and how much does it cost them to run it over to the museum? $10?

Solution: GM pays the carrier $10 to deliver it to the museum, and pays $885 to the museum.

Problem solved. Museum delivery included in destination charge.:thumbs:

Michael

Many here really can't get it through their head that delivery fee is federally mandated, every delivery pays the same regardless the distance. It has nothing to do with GM or the Museum.

And the museum does get the bulk of the $990 after the dealer takes $118.80 for doing nothing and GM takes it's cut.

IMHO the customer should be charged the amount the museum gets with nothing taken off the top by either the dealer or GM.

mjw930 06-21-2014 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com (Post 1587180759)
GM is not getting the Museum Delivery Fee, the Museum is. The museum is getting the money from the "Corvette Museum Delivery" option

Dave

Well, that's not entirely true, you take $118.80 off the top and I'm sure GM takes it cut too. The museum is probably lucky to net $600 on the transaction, which is all we should be paying. The dealer and GM is already making a handsome profit on the car, pass the entire delivery fee to the museum.

John Ulrich 06-21-2014 12:53 AM

I am relieved that so many are concerned about museum delivery pricing and warning me in advance. I did the math for some airline tickets, rental car, hotel, tip, some museum shirts etc? I checked the box. The price is what it is. It's your choice. It helps to support the Corvette legacy and I'm happy to contribute to this once in a lifetime opportunity for me...(the wife said I will not be writing a check of this size when I retire).
It appears there are openings for 7-8 delivers a day. Seems to me the delivery experience would be diminished if the prices went to a "Walmart" level with 30 people lined up waiting to take delivery.

mpuzach 06-21-2014 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by dwward (Post 1587180081)
Of course they do. The MDF is the Federally mandated deliver fee. Again, GM isn't delivering the car twice, they're just charging twice.

You are seriously misinformed.

wgood 06-21-2014 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com (Post 1586674034)
Correct. The destination fee is mandated to be the same by federal law so that a dealer in KY doesn't get the car for cheaper then me here in NJ and I'm not getting it cheaper than Tommy in NH and he's not getting it cheaper then Tim in CA.

The law is that every car (of the same model) have the exact same destination fee no matter where the car is being shipped to. Corvette, to my knowledge, is the only car built int he US that has the option of picking the car up basically at the factory so this isn't an issue for 99.9% of the shoppers out there.

Dave

When did this equal fee start because a long time ago that was not the case ????? This is my 50th year of owning cars !!!! Wayne

Dave@Ciocca 06-21-2014 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by wgood (Post 1587184905)
When did this equal fee start because a long time ago that was not the case ????? This is my 50th year of owning cars !!!! Wayne

I've been here for over 21 years and it was a law when I started here.

gregd 06-21-2014 10:31 AM

Personally, I think the $995 delivery charge when the car is picked up at the museum is a crock of #%*% but what do you expect when the feds stick their noses into something? It is what it is.

That said I sprang for museum delivery and was thrilled with the experience. Worth every penny and it supports the museum. The fact that the museum is self funded it a major plus and in my mind characteristic of the true American character.

Do it, you won't regret it!

:rock:

C7 BOB 06-21-2014 01:12 PM

http://www.autotrader.com/research/a...-explained.jsp

Let's get the bad news out of the way first: That destination charge listed on every new car's window sticker is something you'll have to pay. According to U.S. law, car delivery -- transporting the vehicle from port or assembly plant to dealer showroom -- is always listed as a separate line item on a new-car window sticker. Automakers may use different names to describe it, but it always works the same way, with buyers covering the cost.

Freight, delivery or destination charges ensure that the buyer pays equally to cover the cost of delivering a vehicle to a dealership, regardless of whether the dealership is nearby or far away from the vehicle assembly plant. For example, a Kia Optima buyer in Seattle is not required to pay more for the vehicle than a buyer in Atlanta, who's thousands of miles closer to the West Point, Ga. plant where the Optima is built.

Instead, Kia passes the cost on to buyers with a delivery charge of $800, regardless of where the seller is located. The fee is not included in the MSRP. Instead, it's typically listed as one of the last items on the window sticker, right above the total price.

Fees vary depending on brand or even model. Larger, heavier or more expensive models can be more costly to move for the automaker. That cost is passed on to the consumer through the destination charge. For example, a high-end luxury vehicle may require more careful protection before making a trip by rail or truck. Wrapping the car in protective film or transporting it in a closed truck adds costs, which result in a higher destination fee. Imported vehicles don't necessarily have higher delivery fees than domestically built ones, because only car delivery inside the U.S. is covered by the fee -- foreign automakers usually cover the cost of getting their vehicles to U.S. ports.

Although there's no getting around a delivery charge at the negotiating table, new-car shoppers can prepare for it -- and avoid surprise -- by considering it when researching vehicles. Typically, fees are about $700 to $1,000. Be sure to add that to a vehicle's MSRP when budgeting for your next new car. Upon negotiating a sale price, keep the delivery fee in mind to ensure a budget-friendly deal.

Tonyman262 06-21-2014 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by John Ulrich (Post 1587183617)
I am relieved that so many are concerned about museum delivery pricing and warning me in advance. I did the math for some airline tickets, rental car, hotel, tip, some museum shirts etc? I checked the box. The price is what it is. It's your choice. It helps to support the Corvette legacy and I'm happy to contribute to this once in a lifetime opportunity for me...(the wife said I will not be writing a check of this size when I retire).
It appears there are openings for 7-8 delivers a day. Seems to me the delivery experience would be diminished if the prices went to a "Walmart" level with 30 people lined up waiting to take delivery.

I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying.
So if the price for the museum delivery experience was reduced, and more people could afford it and participate in the experience as well, you would enjoy it less. Is that what you're saying? :leaving:

mjw930 06-21-2014 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by gregd (Post 1587185296)
Personally, I think the $995 delivery charge when the car is picked up at the museum is a crock of #%*% but what do you expect when the feds stick their noses into something? It is what it is.

That said I sprang for museum delivery and was thrilled with the experience. Worth every penny and it supports the museum. The fact that the museum is self funded it a major plus and in my mind characteristic of the true American character.

Do it, you won't regret it!

:rock:

:iagree:

Just got back from picking up my C7 from the Museum and it was a great vacation! Well worth the money IMHO.

John Ulrich 06-21-2014 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tonyman262 (Post 1587186841)
I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying.
So if the price for the museum delivery experience was reduced, and more people could afford it and participate in the experience as well, you would enjoy it less. Is that what you're saying? :leaving:

Yes! If I wanted the mass market approach they have that now. For $7.00 you can take the plant tour in a group now. The R8C supplies you with a personal guide for the day. If you had to share your guide with say 5 other buyers to go over your car and help you setup the functions where's the exclusivity there? The guide would stand in the parking lot with a bull horn and shout instructions to everyone.
You are assuming that for a reduced cost that you will still get one on one service?

It appears they have capacity and employees for 7-8 deliveries a day. In marketing you price your product high enough to fill your capacity but not low enough to where you are turning too many people away.
If they were failing to attract enough people at $995 they would lower their price. If they were turning people away......raise the price to $1,200.

laborsmith 06-21-2014 06:25 PM

Earlier in this thread a poster asked when the change took place. I admit I can not recall but believe in the mid 1970's. Also, and this could be wrong, but I am thinking some of the American companies started doing it (at the mild requests of dealers located thousands of miles from assembly plants who believed they were losing sales for no other reason than the price difference) before there was a law.

Now someone who knows for sure might be tempted to post.

Laborsmith

Michael A 06-21-2014 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 1587183390)
Many here really can't get it through their head that delivery fee is federally mandated, every delivery pays the same regardless the distance. It has nothing to do with GM or the Museum.

And the museum does get the bulk of the $990 after the dealer takes $118.80 for doing nothing and GM takes it's cut.

IMHO the customer should be charged the amount the museum gets with nothing taken off the top by either the dealer or GM.

I don't know who you are talking about, but there is no law that says what GM has to do with the Destination Charge after they get the money. They could easily pay for the extremely low cost to get the car a 1/2 mile down the road to the museum, and then give the balance to the museum itself. Now the museum delivery is reasonable, and no extra charge.

Problem solved.

Michael

C7 BOB 06-21-2014 07:50 PM

I found this on ask.com:

"Why do we still have the destination charge?"

"Because the government mandates it. Back before the early 80s destination charges differed and car dealers played shady game (shocking I know) where they'd make tons of money by setting their own destination charges of whatever they wanted and not having it in the price. The government then decided it would be a requirement that the dealers list a destination charge separate from the price for all new cars clearly on the window sticker. All fine until sometime in the 80s the manufacturers went to a combined standardized destination charge (aka they averaged their shipping costs and set the charge based on model, not location). However, the government never reacted to this so the destination charge is still required by law even though it's the same everywhere in CONUS."

This is about the time I thought it changed, and I found a window sticker for a 1976 Toyota that I bought new. The port of entry was San Francisco. The dealer was just south of there, and the "inland freight and handling" was $54.75. So, I'm pretty sure the standardized shipping charge started in the early 80's.

Glen e 06-21-2014 07:54 PM

It has to be standardized...every dealer in the country has to have the same cost of sale per vehicle. It is no more complicated than this. It's the way retail vehicle distribution works....end of story.

2CRUZIN 06-21-2014 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1587188181)
It has to be standardized...every dealer in the country has to have the same cost of sale per vehicle. It is no more complicated than this. It's the way retail vehicle distribution works....end of story.

Absolutely agree. I am not sure why this is so hard to comprehend.

RYTOCOR 10-01-2020 03:55 PM

995 Destination

It’s a union agreement!

iQUOTE=cg02175;1586672525]I think it is really stupid for GM to charge customers the $995 destination fee if you are picking the car up at the museum in Bowling Green.

If you want to pick up a corvette at the museum you still have to pay the $995 destination fee on top of the $995 museum delivery fee.

Anyone else think this makes no sense? Maybe another way for GM to squeeze out another $1,000[/QUOTE]

Vetteman Jack 10-01-2020 10:23 PM

Many threads have covered this subject. Yes, you pay both when you take museum delivery. :seeya