CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Narrow body, base 'vettes...I just don't get it? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3453972-narrow-body-base-vettes-i-just-dont-get-it.html)

Hameister 04-17-2014 02:20 PM

Narrow body, base 'vettes...I just don't get it?

1 Attachment(s)
Once the Grand Sport became available in 2010, I thought sales of the "Base", or narrow body Corvette, would have fallen to zero.

Yet, some folks continued to buy what looks like an anorexic version of a real Corvette, why? :confused2:

That bad boy, big ass, wide tire look, of the Grand Sport made me say "yessss", the very first time I saw it.

I thought it might be interesting to discuss why anyone would want to buy it's anemic looking little brother?

Oh I know tires wear faster on a GS, and it cost a few grand more, but hey, Corvette buyers are a pretty affluent crowd.
I wouldn't think that would make anyone go all girly, with a narrow body.

So the question remains why? Let's have a nice civil discussion, because this is not some kind of invitation to argue over which is better.

Go...:cheers:

cor28vettes 04-17-2014 02:25 PM

36K brand new that's why

FireGS 04-17-2014 02:26 PM

:lurk:

this should be civil

1rusty1 04-17-2014 02:28 PM

I like skinny better than fat!

zcarbon 04-17-2014 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:D I think you're goin' to get beat up :eek:
Attachment 47786136
Anorexic, Anemic, Girly :willy:

Hameister 04-17-2014 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes (Post 1586681604)
36K brand new that's why

That's it? That's your whole explanation for this complex issue?

thyshallsmite 04-17-2014 02:29 PM

price/turning radius/zomg wide car is wide/lower top speed

I love, love the grand sport and wide body car, but as a daily driver, wide body is indeed wide.

OKGS 04-17-2014 02:30 PM

i own a 2010 GS and now that I own a vette I am more attuned to other vettes on the road. Just the other day a narrow body came up on me on the highway and passed me. As it was passing I remember thinking to myself that is one nice looking vette.

As always it comes down to ones taste and there is a price difference which definately can determine which car a person may purchase. I like you think the GS is the bomb! and it looks so much more like a race car than a standard vette, but they all look good to me.

I'm even one of those that think black wheels make them look even sportier. :hide:

BWF07 04-17-2014 02:31 PM

Well with your way of thinking why would anyone buy an anemic 430 HP when they could have the original wide body car and 505 HP?

If everyone thought the same and only bought GS, this would be a boring world. Also I hate to break this to you, but there are a lot that are not as affluent AS you might think. So buying a base coupe for about $6K less then a GS could be the reason.

David A. 04-17-2014 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1586681669)
So buying a base coupe for about $6K less then a GS could be the reason.

I spent a long time looking at the base model convertible because it was in my price range and still a very cool car. In the end, the wide body and steamroller rear wheels won out and I decided to ignore the budget I set for myself.

Hameister 04-17-2014 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by FireGS (Post 1586681615)
:lurk:

this should be civil

I would hope so. :lol:

Originally Posted by OKGS (Post 1586681654)
... I'm even one of those that think black wheels make them look even sportier. :hide:

There's another stupid thread for Black vs. Chrome wheels.

The topic here is the wide body, :yesnod: vs. the narrow body :ack:

Vette4Vet 04-17-2014 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hameister (Post 1586681738)
I would hope so. :lol:

There's another stupid thread for Black vs. Chrome wheels.

The topic here is the wide body, :yesnod: vs. the narrow body :ack:

Wait, is there a new rule about staying on topic? Wrong audience for that I'm afraid...:lol:

h2oskiman 04-17-2014 02:45 PM

I choose the base for many reasons.If everyone could afford it we'd all have a ZR 1. If you are so affluant I don't understand why you don't have one. Just sayin:rock:

DezVette 04-17-2014 02:47 PM

I saw it, I liked it, I bought it. I do not feel the need to have to justify my reasons to anyone. But since you asked, the dealer I bought it from did not have any GS/Z06 sitting there. They also did not have a manual. That does not bother me as I LOVE my 2013 A6 purchased "used" with 413 miles on it. At the end of the day, when opening MY wallet, that is really all that matters...

Hameister 04-17-2014 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by h2oskiman (Post 1586681794)
I choose the base for many reasons.If everyone could afford it we'd all have a ZR 1. If you are so affluant I don't understand why you don't have one. Just sayin:rock:

Who is the "you" you're referring too?

BWF07 04-17-2014 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by David A. (Post 1586681715)
I spent a long time looking at the base model convertible because it was in my price range and still a very cool car. In the end, the wide body and steamroller rear wheels won out and I decided to ignore the budget I set for myself.

I have a wide body, I was just trying to say, that everyone is different and we all have or preferences. I was only trying to answer a question that was a little on the I am better then you side.

Jeff-Ford 04-17-2014 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hameister (Post 1586681637)
That's it? That's your whole explanation for this complex issue?

Its not that complex of an issue some guys need the extra 3 inches and some of us don't. :thumbs:

KayJay 04-17-2014 02:53 PM

Sorry to break this to the OP, but, the average person wouldn't know the difference between the GS and the coupe if they were side by side. For us that can, coupe v. wide body is just a matter of taste, needs and finances.

1968swbbigblock 04-17-2014 02:54 PM

I found it interesting when I was in Southern California on vacation last month the number of narrow body vettes far out weighed the GS/Z06/ZR1 body.
I look at the narrow bodies kinda like little red riding hood and wide bodies kinda like the big bad wolf>>>>

Hameister 04-17-2014 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by DezVette (Post 1586681812)
I saw it, I liked it, I bought it. I do not feel the need to have to justify my reasons to anyone. But since you asked, the dealer I bought it from did not have any GS/Z06 sitting there. They also did not have a manual. That does not bother me as I LOVE my 2013 A6 purchased "used" with 413 miles on it. At the end of the day, when opening MY wallet, that is really all that matters...

Wow, narrow body, and A6! Totally girly!

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1586681817)
I have a wide body, I was just trying to say, that everyone is different and we all have or preferences. I was only trying to answer a question that was a little on the I am better then you side.

No intent to suggest that one person is better than another, just the car. :lol:

Psssst...this thread is totally in jest.