CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   racing fuel (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3505202-racing-fuel.html)

mbullins22 07-23-2014 03:50 PM

racing fuel

Just wondering. .. does racing fuel help the ls2 really any at all? At a local company here in NC called sparks oil there is 100, 110 and 112 octane available. I have a 2005 standard c6 and my only mods so far is slp loud mouth and NO cats. Some friends and I are going to Farmington dragway Friday night so I'd like to get a little extra hp if possible. Yes I am definitely going to long tube headers, intake and dyno-tune but I haven't done this yet. Possible some other things eventually.

Feel free to give advice on mods and brands also. If you have Instagram I'm mbullins22 and if you are local around Winston Salem NC me and my buddies get together some and get out riding with our wife's

raspyc6 07-23-2014 04:13 PM

I imagine you would need a race gas tune for you to make the most out the extra octane.

mbullins22 07-23-2014 04:24 PM

So instead of just getting a dyno-tune I should probably get a programmer that I can keep updating and changing? That way I can possibly set for racing fuel or standard 93

TxLefty 07-23-2014 04:58 PM

Unless I'm missing something, about all the race gas will allow you to do is advance the timing a little. That may pick up a few horsepower, but I'd be surprised if it was more than 10. Advance the timing too much and you'll start losing power.

If you were running high compression pistons or a power adder then it might all be worth while. You would probably pick up more time with DRs if you don't already have them.

The race gas may or may not have much of a detergent package in it, so you may want to be careful about leaving it in the car for too long.

mbullins22 07-23-2014 05:18 PM

Thanks for the advice and yeah I drive my vette alot. I run 93 non ethinal normally. Not a every day car but gas does not sit long in mine haha

1968swbbigblock 07-23-2014 05:46 PM

Race gas needs a strong ignition with correct timing to fire correctly
Typically you will lose power since you can not fire the higher octane of the race gas

CHJ In Virginia 07-23-2014 08:19 PM

WOW !! Not to hijack your thread, but I had no idea that Farmington strip was still operating. I used to run my 1969 Z 28 Camaro there in 1969 and 70. It was a cow pasture strip back then sanctioned by IHRA and a 1/5th mile. Many fond memories of times past.

mbullins22 07-23-2014 08:27 PM

Yes Farmington is still there. Iv been running chevelles and v8 s10 ' s up there for 10 years. It's just 1/8 mile now. There isn't a 1/4 track close by.

icntdrv55 07-23-2014 10:30 PM

Just another watch out. There are several places here in the midwest that sell 'race gas' from a special pump that is marked "For competition use only--Not for street vehicles" The pump specifies that the gas contains lead. A definite NO-NO for our catalytic converter cars!!! And as others have stated, there is absolutely no benefit to using fuel with an octane rating higher than 91 to 93, without doing major mods (i.e., bumping the CR) to your engine.

raspyc6 07-23-2014 10:34 PM

What I did not say earlier that I will say now is that you don't need to F around with race gas for AAAAAANYreason right now given your setup. IF you were running a stroker motor with heads/cam/intake/tune and a built bottom end, new fuel pump and h/d injectors, et al...sure. That does not seem to be the case here. Hell, you would probably throw exhaust codes ad nauseum and maybe even waste a cat or 02 sensor. Lead issue had not even crossed my mind. Dude...mod it like you should and stick with top tier pump gas.

mbullins22 07-23-2014 11:00 PM

Good advice, thanks guys. I am definitely use to old school racing and stroker motors in hotrods. I'm new to the new corvette scene but I love my car.

ProfessorDeath 07-24-2014 01:59 AM

Race gas on a stock tune and stock plugs is not an amazing idea.