CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   78 C3 Oil pump knock?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3505220-78-c3-oil-pump-knock.html)

Douglas Brown 07-23-2014 04:35 PM

78 C3 Oil pump knock??

Breaking in a 350 CID 300hp, re-build.....I have 3 - 4 knocks then pause and repeat 3-4 knocks the pause, sound coming from oil pump area of motor. used one of those stethoscope to listen, sound coming from oil pump area loudest near oil filter and oil pan around oil pump.
the rest of the motor sounds like it should. oil pressure @ 2K 50lbs 35K 70-75lbs gauge reads pressure holds, when back 950 knock, knock, knock some times loud sometimes not.
I used the pump from the 350 I replaced....
Has any one ever had a oil pump knock?? if so what did you do?
I think it needs to be replaced?

MelWff 07-24-2014 11:31 AM

cannt be from distributor since it connects to pump?

bashcraft 07-24-2014 12:56 PM

If it's an automatic, check the flywheel for cracks, loose converter bolts or loose flywheel bolts.

CaseyJones 07-24-2014 01:10 PM

So many things can cause that kind of noise. None of them are good. I agree with bashcraft for starters. If that checks out, I would have to think that you have a bad rod or main bearing. Automatic or manual? The thrust bearing clearance could cause the crank to "walk" in the saddles but that would be worse with a manual.. Is there any movement at the front, such as the balancer? Can you see it moving in and out ever so slightly at idle?

I was given a forged crank when I was building my engine that came from a truck. I was really good looking until I started looking at the thrust bearing surface. There was significant wear from pushing the clutch in over the years wearing the crank badly. So I didn't use it.

Douglas Brown 07-24-2014 04:37 PM

It's a manual trans. I go out and run it. listen, come back in and think it through..
I have to rule out pump, dose not make since. it sounds rhythmic, possible end caps??? the knocking dose not stop when using clutch.....
Trying to contact builder, and have a mechanic coming over to test AC vac, to see if it holds pressure. it's a new system never has been charged, so I want to know if it will hold, but now..I have him wait on the charging and look at the knock.......I am hoping minor problem, but expecting major...pull motor take it back to builder..I do not know .????

Douglas Brown 07-24-2014 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by MelWff (Post 1587434889)
cannt be from distributor since it connects to pump?

Agreed

MelWff 07-24-2014 04:41 PM

Guess I wasnt clear

Originally Posted by Douglas Brown (Post 1587437133)
Agreed

What i was asking was are you sure the noise isnt from the distributor?

Douglas Brown 07-24-2014 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by bashcraft (Post 1587435511)
If it's an automatic, check the flywheel for cracks, loose converter bolts or loose flywheel bolts.

It is a manual trans, thought about the bolts but it would stop when pressure is applied to the pressure plate, and the knock would be a single tick as it traveled around the bell..not... knock, knock, knock and a pause then repeat the knocking.....
Thanks for the input.

Douglas Brown 07-24-2014 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by MelWff (Post 1587437158)

I thought that too, but the noise is located loudest at the back of the pan to forward of the filter. using a stethoscope to pin point the noise.
The further away from that area I go the lower the noise

Douglas Brown 07-24-2014 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by CaseyJones (Post 1587435636)
So many things can cause that kind of noise. None of them are good. I agree with bashcraft for starters. If that checks out, I would have to think that you have a bad rod or main bearing. Automatic or manual? The thrust bearing clearance could cause the crank to "walk" in the saddles but that would be worse with a manual.. Is there any movement at the front, such as the balancer? Can you see it moving in and out ever so slightly at idle?

I was given a forged crank when I was building my engine that came from a truck. I was really good looking until I started looking at the thrust bearing surface. There was significant wear from pushing the clutch in over the years wearing the crank badly. So I didn't use it.

Do not see any movement at he front end of the crank.

This was built for me at a engine/motor rebuilder in St George, Ut.
Not saying it was a bad job but mechanical things do not always go as planned.

Douglas Brown 07-24-2014 04:54 PM

After I talk to these guys I post results.

Douglas Brown 07-24-2014 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by MelWff (Post 1587437158)

We thought it may be that the pump being new and distrib. old may be worn, but the distrib. is meshed with the cam gears. so for it to make a knock sound it would have to hit the pump slot but the what would cause the cam gear to run halted 3 x's the pause and again 3 x's and pause. There would be a noticeable miss running of the motor if the ditrib, was out.

thanks

Douglas Brown 07-26-2014 12:16 AM

Up date on knocking.....not pump, found metal flakes in valley....motor goes back to builder...
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0edb148934.jpg

Douglas Brown 08-11-2014 05:28 PM

Update: turns out to be flat cam...Now we deal with COMP CAMS warranty.