CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   car wax (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3509807-car-wax.html)

airspeed 08-01-2014 01:30 PM

car wax

Has any one heard of this car wax (Griot's) or used it? if so what were
your results. it is advertise as best of show wax, thanks for any info.:toetap:

BWF07 08-01-2014 02:08 PM

Wax is really subjective. Everyone has their favorite. I have never used the wax you are referring to, but I understand it is a good quality product. You will get members that swear by different brands that will range from the expensive products that are available through specific dealers or by online purchase on down to the simple wax that you can get at Walmart or any of the auto parts stores.
It all comes down to the following. Does the product do what you want and is to process of applying and removing what you want. Sometimes you need to try different brands until you find what you are looking for.
I happen to use Adams. I have been using it since 2006 and I have not changed.

P0234 08-01-2014 02:09 PM

I've got an unopened bottle with your name on it if you pay for shipping. PM me.

duckvett 08-01-2014 02:18 PM

Griot's "Best of Show" needs to be applied very, very, VERY thin! Anything thicker than that will be a bear to remove. I cannot speak about it's durability or how long it lasts, as I usually wax the Corvette 4-5 times a year. I do like the results from Best of Show, but it seems a little more subdued (on Cyber Gray) than the Meguiar's NXT 2.0 that I prefer.

Firefighter84 08-01-2014 02:29 PM

It all depends on what your looking for in a wax.

All the stuff I use now is pretty much from Griot's. Expensive and some stuff works well others aren't so good, I don't care for their soap (Gold class is cheaper and comes in large jugs for the same price). If you do decide to use the Best of Show wax remember a little goes a long way. I've always applied too much and removing it is a PITA. Using the small amount and the griot's buffer makes removal easy now. I learned you could also spray some speed shine to help remove the residue as well.

Everyone has their favorites and I'm just starting to learn about keeping the paint looking nice. You have to start somewhere and learn as you go. Look under "Car Care" under General Topics for advice and help as well.

2CRUZIN 08-01-2014 02:59 PM

I have used it but I like the Meguires NXT. Seems easier to remove and brighter shine. But as others have said it's very subjective.

Don-Vette 08-01-2014 03:08 PM

I have seen the Griots at Advance auto and through their catalogs but haven't tried it yet. I use Meguires NXT 2.0 and Mothers synthetic and Surf City carnauba paste wax. You apply these to the whole car first and they come off very easily and you can get them at your local auto parts store and wallyworld! There is no denying the results! ....

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...psb09aae28.jpg

rsparks64 08-01-2014 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by duckvett (Post 1587494993)
Griot's "Best of Show" needs to be applied very, very, VERY thin! Anything thicker than that will be a bear to remove. I cannot speak about it's durability or how long it lasts, as I usually wax the Corvette 4-5 times a year. I do like the results from Best of Show, but it seems a little more subdued (on Cyber Gray) than the Meguiar's NXT 2.0 that I prefer.

What duckvett said, except with perhaps one more "very" as to how thin the coat should be.

RocketDawg 08-01-2014 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Don-Vette (Post 1587495327)
I have seen the Griots at Advance auto and through their catalogs but haven't tried it yet. I use Meguires NXT 2.0 and Mothers synthetic and Surf City carnauba paste wax. You apply these to the whole car first and they come off very easily and you can get them at your local auto parts store and wallyworld! There is no denying the results! ....

You use all three of those during the same waxing, or does it mean you've used them all at different times? Just wondering if there is a sequence you use. I think some people put Carnauba wax on top of other products.

saplumr 08-01-2014 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by RocketDawg (Post 1587495439)
You use all three of those during the same waxing, or does it mean you've used them all at different times? Just wondering if there is a sequence you use. I think some people put Carnauba wax on top of other products.

I'm sure he doesn't use them at the same time. That would be redundant.

Don-Vette 08-01-2014 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by saplumr (Post 1587495458)
I'm sure he doesn't use them at the same time. That would be redundant.

Yeah that would be silly. I rotate whatever I'm in the mood to use.

Nomomoney 08-01-2014 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1587494919)
Wax is really subjective. Everyone has their favorite. I have never used the wax you are referring to, but I understand it is a good quality product. You will get members that swear by different brands that will range from the expensive products that are available through specific dealers or by online purchase on down to the simple wax that you can get at Walmart or any of the auto parts stores.
It all comes down to the following. Does the product do what you want and is to process of applying and removing what you want. Sometimes you need to try different brands until you find what you are looking for.

+1 - Adam's is what I use. Great product.

ProfessorDeath 08-01-2014 04:53 PM

On my previous black car, I tried all kinds of waxes and products (Zaino, Adams, Turtle Wax Ice, NXT, you name it). To me, they all pretty much ended up looking the same, so I stick with Meguiars products. They look great, apply well, remove well, and they're very cost effective.

I do not attend car shows other than as an observer, so if miniscule details are important, then my opinion can be considered useless, since I don't care about details I wouldn't notice without a magnifying glass, but to me, all car waxes pretty much look the same.

saplumr 08-01-2014 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath (Post 1587496091)
On my previous black car, I tried all kinds of waxes and products (Zaino, Adams, Turtle Wax Ice, NXT, you name it). To me, they all pretty much ended up looking the same, so I stick with Meguiars products. They look great, apply well, remove well, and they're very cost effective.

I do not attend car shows other than as an observer, so if miniscule details are important, then my opinion can be considered useless, since I don't care about details I wouldn't notice without a magnifying glass, but to me, all car waxes pretty much look the same.

If you're really into details, certain products can make a huge difference in Black. Unfortunately the difference makers aren't cheap.

pokerpro 08-01-2014 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1587494919)

Hey Jack, so now I know your secret you use Adams products. Guess I'll have to use them too so I can keep up with you.

billyboy47 08-01-2014 06:48 PM

i use what i used on my 67 vette back in 71. liquid glass. there are so many good waxes and polishes out there that will leave you confused as to what is the best.:yesnod:

truckplay 08-01-2014 07:37 PM

it is a PITA to use, it shines like crazy but does not last. I use mine if I am willing to spend hours on the car. there are many other options that are easier and faster to use. you can't go wrong with most of the shelf products, among the easiest is Rejex (although it is not a wax) I use the H... out of it.

twinarrow99 08-01-2014 07:54 PM

Agree with all comments regarding Griots Best of Show. No matter how thin applied, unless you use detailing spray it is ridiculous to remove. They really need to change their formula. I recently used some Mothers Gold Carnuba for grins, was a breeze to apply and remove.

128 08-01-2014 08:04 PM

I use the Best of Show wax and apply it with the Griots machine. I have never had a problem removing it. It is and awesome wax, very durable and makes washing a breeze. I highly recommend it.

Killrwheels@Autogeek 08-01-2014 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by airspeed (Post 1587494631)
Has any one heard of this car wax (Griot's) or used it? if so what were
your results. it is advertise as best of show wax, thanks for any info.:toetap:

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-car-care.html

One of many great lines we carry for our forum friends. Visit our car care forum or the car care area of this forum for help as needed. We are also available by phone. :cheers: