CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Tadge Juechter Says No Mid-Engine Corvette Zora/ZR1 Planned (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/3621773-tadge-juechter-says-no-mid-engine-corvette-zora-zr1-planned.html)

Detroit Steel 03-16-2015 03:06 PM

Tadge Juechter Says No Mid-Engine Corvette Zora/ZR1 Planned

https://www.corvetteforum.com/wp-con...fter-Hours.jpg

Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter flat-out denied reports of an upcoming mid-engine Corvette during a recent interview on Autoline After Hours.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/wp-con...Renderings.jpg

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>

1KULC7 03-16-2015 03:13 PM

Does not surprise me, at least for this generation. This mid-engine issue comes up after the release of every new generation. Sells a lot of Motor Trend and Car and Driver Magazines, that is about it.

W88fixer 03-16-2015 03:51 PM

Doesn’t hurt my feelings. I think GM would prefer more C7 sales than a small number of “boutique” sales of a car north of $150K or whatever price a specialized mid engined Vette might cost. Don

daytonagary 03-16-2015 03:54 PM

Been a rumor and rumor only since 1960's. Never expected it now to be real either. When you have a C7 with perfect 50-50 weight distribution, not much to be gained by going rear engine.

11B250 03-16-2015 04:04 PM

I agree with what he has to say, but who knows, maybe it's skunkworks for GM and it will be something much different than a vette...

that being said, he did say he is prohibited from discussing future vehicles, so he might have had to deny it, because anything else would hint at it.

the corvette is a great all around vehicle. can anyone tell me any other sports car in this category that has such enormous trunk space? lol

OnPoint 03-16-2015 04:04 PM

I would expect Tadge is governed by the same non-disclosure obligation the rest of his team has.

Given that, I wouldn't expect him say anything about a new/another model until it's time to pull the wraps off it.

ivanjo11 03-16-2015 05:31 PM

Is going to be hard for Tadge and his crew to admit that the upcoming Ford GT is going to be America's best so i am pretty sure they will like to make a Mid engine Vette to compete against it and against the Ferraris 488 of the world.

catbert 03-16-2015 05:55 PM

Cadillac is currently the fair haired child at GM. The division is getting any resource it asks for, including moving its; "corporate" headquarters to a trendy New York City address. If Caddy want the new rear engine car as a halo in an attempt to "re-establish" the brand in the World market, they will get it. It will take a lot of the price point pressure off of GM if it's not branded as a Chevy. If it doesn't have a "Corvette" motor, it'll be a Caddy. JMHO

jvp 03-16-2015 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ivanjo11 (Post 1589196658)
so i am pretty sure they will like to make a Mid engine Vette to compete against it and against the Ferraris 488 of the world.

Are you sure they need to? Has the current architecture (front-mid engine, rear drive) of the Corvette ever had significant challenges dealing with the likes of the Ferrari or even the Ford GT?

WKMCD 03-16-2015 06:01 PM

Don't believe him for a minute. We have too many experts on the forum that know better and have provided pics. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

RicK T 03-16-2015 06:03 PM

Two years ago he also said there was no A8 in the works for the Vette because they didn't need it and one wouldn't fit.

As pointed out already, he can't say anything but what he did say.

agapsdiver 03-16-2015 06:05 PM

I don't want the Corvette to go mid-engine...won't be "affordable" any more to the middle class.
I can see Cadillac going with a luxury mid-engine with all that includes...but I want my Corvette to stay a driver's car with a manual trans.

BIG Dave 03-16-2015 06:16 PM

Build a mid engine two seater at Bowling Green, slap a Cadillac badge on it and sell it through Cadillac dealerships. They will be able to sell it for money than if it was sold as a Chevy, and it won't be burdened by service at subpar Chevrolet dealerships. Oh wait, they already tried that with the XLR.

Harry2 03-16-2015 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by RicK T (Post 1589196901)
Two years ago he also said there was no A8 in the works for the Vette because they didn't need it and one wouldn't fit.

In 2014 he also said that they were concentrating their resources into getting the A8 into the '15 Z06 and would not be releasing the A8 into the '15 model year Stingray.

dvilin 03-16-2015 07:41 PM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by 1KULC7 (Post 1589195623)
Does not surprise me, at least for this generation. This mid-engine issue comes up after the release of every new generation. Sells a lot of Motor Trend and Car and Driver Magazines, that is about it.

jschindler 03-16-2015 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ivanjo11 (Post 1589196658)
Is going to be hard for Tadge and his crew to admit that the upcoming Ford GT is going to be America's best so i am pretty sure they will like to make a Mid engine Vette to compete against it and against the Ferraris 488 of the world.

Makes no sense. There already has been a mid engine Ford GT that sold for $150,000 and didn't phase the Corvette. Why would the new one rumored to be over $300,000 cause GM to care?

Originally Posted by catbert (Post 1589196848)
Cadillac is currently the fair haired child at GM. The division is getting any resource it asks for, including moving its; "corporate" headquarters to a trendy New York City address. If Caddy want the new rear engine car as a halo in an attempt to "re-establish" the brand in the World market, they will get it. It will take a lot of the price point pressure off of GM if it's not branded as a Chevy. If it doesn't have a "Corvette" motor, it'll be a Caddy. JMHO

And Cadillac is discounting the hell out of their cars to sell them, especially the CTS V Sport. Dealers were discounting them $10,000 and they were still collecting dust when I looked at them six months ago. But the new guy from Infiniti thinks they need to hold the line on higher prices. I guess that's why Infiniti is doing so well :crazy2:

vettekat2007 03-16-2015 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by RicK T (Post 1589196901)

I know he said they could not find a dual clutch automatic to fit. Did he also say that about an 8-speed automatic? I will be seeing him this week in Sebring. Maybe we can get him to talk about a mid-engine car without actually asking him if there is one in the works.

DAFFYDRUNK 03-16-2015 08:41 PM

I haven't really paid much attention to what the guy says, but if the guy has to lie to the public to maintain non disclosure, maybe stop taking questions as this forces bill$h!t answers. It's a bit insulting.

ivanjo11 03-16-2015 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by jvp (Post 1589196874)
Are you sure they need to? Has the current architecture (front-mid engine, rear drive) of the Corvette ever had significant challenges dealing with the likes of the Ferrari or even the Ford GT?

The Z06 is a great car but it won't be able to compete with the new Ford GT or the amazing 488. Mid engine is simply the best layout for a sports cars.

Steve_R 03-17-2015 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by WKMCD (Post 1589196889)
Don't believe him for a minute. We have too many experts on the forum that know better and have provided pics. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl: