CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3942213-speeding-ticket-for-6mph-over-speed-limit-vette-tax.html)

gwalsh88 02-09-2017 09:47 PM

Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax

fellow forum members I have had a bad day and I thought I would share...

started at 4:30 AM in DC with snow falling and flights being cancelled...mad dash to the airport and hoping my flight was still happening.

I got to the Orlando airport went to the parking structure to my velocity yellow Z51 and noticed some recent rain drops so I opened the hatch got my micro fiber towel and wiped down the car. There were some spots on the hatch so I of course shut it with my bag in the back. Did I mention my keys were in my bag? Yup locked the keys in the back and I'm a cheap bastard so I do not pay for onstar. I had to call my wife who had to go to our house and get my spare fob and then she had to drive it all the way to dumbass me at the airport.

I had a meeting in Tampa so this put me a few hours behind.

I got the new fob jumped in the car and headed to Tampa. Not 2 miles from the airport on the 528 which is a 6 line highway, I was cruising along in the left lane behind a piece of junk Kia at a blistering 61 MPH in a 55 MPH when a FHP Highway Patrolman came flying up behind me, I pulled to the right and he stayed with me. I could not believe I was being pulled over. When he came to the window he said he pulled me over for speeding. I pointed out there was a car in front of me who must have been going just a little faster than me and wondered why I got pulled over but they did not. He got pissed and told me to stay in my car. He never asked for my proof of insurance or registration. He came back a little later and gave me a ticket for going 6 miles over the speed limit 61MPH in a 55MPH on a 6 lane highway.

When I pointed out as he would have seen when he ran my license that I had not had a ticket or even been pulled over for almost 14 years he handed me the ticket and said try not to let it happen again.

The ticket is only $129 and at first I thought about fighting it. I have a dash camera so and I can prove the POS in front of me was let go while the yellow Corvette was pulled over but the bottom line is I was going faster than the posted speed limit. I suspect any judge would not be very considerate of the guy driving the corvette so I would get hit with the original fine plus court fees.

I am fully convinced the only reason I got the ticket was to pay the Corvette Tax....

ok I'm done venting... :ack: thanks for listening...
Gary

ea327 02-09-2017 09:57 PM

In Illinois we can take traffic school online and the ticket will not be on your record. Worked for me! More than once.

itaylorm 02-09-2017 09:59 PM

wow at 6 miles of the speed limit the radar is hardly accurate enough. I understand you can challenge based upon the radar not being tested on time.

Hopefully the insurance will let it go without raising rates based upon 14 years without a ticket

hangman 02-09-2017 10:00 PM

Couldn't you have opened the door since the keys where in the trunk? It would be in proximity for the door to unlock...

jclarksnakes 02-09-2017 10:03 PM

Life is too short to waste one minute doing or thinking anything about the ticket other than paying the fine and moving on.

gwalsh88 02-09-2017 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by hangman (Post 1594060919)
Couldn't you have opened the door since the keys where in the trunk? It would be in proximity for the door to unlock...

it did not work for me...believe me I tried.

Ed Ramberger 02-09-2017 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by gwalsh88 (Post 1594060848)
fellow forum members I have had a bad day and I thought I would share...

started at 4:30 AM in DC with snow falling and flights being cancelled...mad dash to the airport and hoping my flight was still happening.

I got to the Orlando airport went to the parking structure to my velocity yellow Z51 and noticed some recent rain drops so I opened the hatch got my micro fiber towel and wiped down the car. There were some spots on the hatch so I of course shut it with my bag in the back. Did I mention my keys were in my bag? Yup locked the keys in the back and I'm a cheap bastard so I do not pay for onstar. I had to call my wife who had to go to our house and get my spare fob and then she had to drive it all the way to dumbass me at the airport.

I had a meeting in Tampa so this put me a few hours behind.

I got the new fob jumped in the car and headed to Tampa. Not 2 miles from the airport on the 528 which is a 6 line highway, I was cruising along in the left lane behind a piece of junk Kia at a blistering 61 MPH in a 55 MPH when a FHP Highway Patrolman came flying up behind me, I pulled to the right and he stayed with me. I could not believe I was being pulled over. When he came to the window he said he pulled me over for speeding. I pointed out there was a car in front of me who must have been going just a little faster than me and wondered why I got pulled over but they did not. He got pissed and told me to stay in my car. He never asked for my proof of insurance or registration. He came back a little later and gave me a ticket for going 6 miles over the speed limit 61MPH in a 55MPH on a 6 lane highway.

When I pointed out as he would have seen when he ran my license that I had not had a ticket or even been pulled over for almost 14 years he handed me the ticket and said try not to let it happen again.

The ticket is only $129 and at first I thought about fighting it. I have a dash camera so and I can prove the POS in front of me was let go while the yellow Corvette was pulled over but the bottom line is I was going faster than the posted speed limit. I suspect any judge would not be very considerate of the guy driving the corvette so I would get hit with the original fine plus court fees.

I am fully convinced the only reason I got the ticket was to pay the Corvette Tax....

ok I'm done venting... :ack: thanks for listening...
Gary

App that could have unlocked your car is free. Is there more to the story that caused a 6mph over ticket?

Jeffthunbird 02-09-2017 10:11 PM

That sucks. I've never had a cop target me for the corvette. I was under the impression that they only ever pulled over a corvette to check it out.

owc6 02-09-2017 10:11 PM

Wow, what a bad day!

First would take that to court and throw your self on it's mercy; you have nothing to lose, IMO. Often judges will take into consideration your record, and many will reduce or throw out the charge for drivers with a clean record for a long time, which can reduce overall ticket cost, points and subsequent insurance costs.

As far as opening a trunk with a fob inside, it rarely happens. The antennas are highly directional, so it's looking for a signal from a fob OUTSIDE the car, not inside. Even an inch inside the car is often too much.

chefcg1 02-09-2017 10:21 PM

Here in NC anything under 10 miles over is generally thrown out as long as your record is clean. 3 times in 3 years for me, no fines nothing besides me taking the time.

Eppieguy 02-09-2017 10:22 PM

My father was a cop for 33 years (RIP Dad) and he used to tell me that when he pulled over a tailing car of either a pack of cars or just 2 cars it was because at some point you were going faster than the guy in the front so he just caught the last driver in the pack at the lowest speed. Bottom line is you caught up to the guy in front of you that was also speeding. I'm not saying it's the correct way of doing things but police officers all have their things that they do and that was my fathers way. He also used to tell me when people would give the excuse of the person in front of you was going faster he would say "well I caught you, not the other car".

gwalsh88 02-09-2017 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger (Post 1594060978)
App that could have unlocked your car is free. Is there more to the story that caused a 6mph over ticket?

What app are you talking about? my onstar free trail ran out almost two years ago. The basic onstar does not cover unlocking the doors. No more to the story...I actually got a ticket for $129.00 for going 61 in a 55.

girardta 02-09-2017 10:28 PM

I had a friend who tried the same excuse as you ...

Everybody else was speeding, too. Why did you pull me over?

"When you shoot into a flock of ducks, you don't get them all. Usually just one."

You should be happy the KIA was in front of you, or you probably would have gotten a ticket for 30 over the limit.

owc6 02-09-2017 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by gwalsh88 (Post 1594061063)
What app are you talking about? my onstar free trail ran out almost two years ago. The basic onstar does not cover unlocking the doors. No more to the story...I actually got a ticket for $129.00 for going 61 in a 55.

If, during your active OnStar subscription, you downloaded the OnStar app onto your phone, the fob commands remain active for five years, even if your subscription expires.

gwalsh88 02-09-2017 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by girardta (Post 1594061082)
Everybody else was speeding, too. Why did you pull me over?

"When you shoot into a flock of ducks, you don't get them all. Usually just one."

You should be happy the KIA was in front of you, or you probably would have gotten a ticket for 30 over the limit.

you are probably right!

girardta 02-09-2017 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by gwalsh88 (Post 1594060955)
it did not work for me...believe me I tried.

How about the button under the word "Corvette" on the trunk lid? Surely your fob would have been in close enough proximity to allow that.

ZenicaPA 02-09-2017 10:32 PM

Damn that sucks. I feel your agony, I really do.
Luckily for me where I am in PA, we don't have a local PD so the State Police handle these things and they seem to focus on other issues. God knows I drive a bit spirited and have deserved a ticket or two and the one time I did get pulled over, I was given a warning.

Police are just people susceptible to good and bad days, he may have had a bad one and you caught the tail end of that.

NJ has a law on the books to reduce certain infractions to a no point ticket but it triples the fine, see if your state has such an ordinance.

gwalsh88 02-09-2017 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by girardta (Post 1594061113)
How about the button under the word "Corvette" on the trunk lid? Surely your fob would have been in close enough proximity to allow that.

yup...tried that as well...:D

owc6 02-09-2017 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by girardta (Post 1594061113)

See post #9.

berk4422 02-09-2017 10:40 PM

Sorry for your trouble. Hire an attorney and get it thrown out, no impact to your insurance. Last time I got a ticket it was embarrassingly 20 over. I got an attorney and by his request I sent him a signed blank check. I also let him know I hadn't had a ticket or accident in over 15 years. Case dismissed for less than $300...

Edit: make sure the attorney resides/regularly practices in the county you received the ticket.