CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   trip miles ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3949258-trip-miles.html)

Pounder 02-24-2017 12:42 PM

trip miles ?

Hey Guys, I am planning a trip of 1000 miles, I want to do it without stopping for a overnite. Am I out of my mind ??? Maps says it would be 14 hours, I thinking Corvette time in less than 12 ??? Only have driven my C 5 with stock seats (good condition) for three hours and have never been sore or tired in the least from driving 8 hours at a time (my truck)??Thanks Pounder !!

DonsC5 02-24-2017 12:55 PM

My twin brother and I have chased tornados in my bone stock TR98 A4 on 5 occasions.
We have put over 7,000 miles on it in a weeks time, each trip... that average's 1000 miles a day. Sun up to sun down. We live in Maine... drive the 2 days out to tornado alley every May... chase for 4 days then drive the 2 days back... that may be a little extreme but hey? what better vehicle to get the **** out of Dodge with??? Only a Corvette fan would put your body through that for 7 or 8 days straight. The car performs flawlessly every time. No issues. Oil change before I leave... Oil change when I get back.

Only question is? Can your back handle it?? I say go for it.... We once drove non stop from Oklahoma City all the way home... without stopping other than to switch drivers and get gas etc.. THAT was nuts. but fun none the less...

Daypoblue 02-24-2017 12:59 PM

" Am I out of my mind ??? "

I've read a lot of your posts and I have often wondered the same thing !! :rofl:

On a serious note, the longest I've had mine out is 5 hours & I had no complaints.
Then again, I'm not getting any younger either. I think I could pull off 12 hrs in mine.

Fcar 98 02-24-2017 01:07 PM

I don't think I could do that. I don't think I would want to do that in anything. I did 6 hours when it was new with no problem. I was 19 years younger then I am now. Good luck with your plans.👍🏻👍🏻

Pounder 02-24-2017 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Daypoblue (Post 1594165706)
" Am I out of my mind ??? "

I've read a lot of your posts and I have often wondered the same thing !! :rofl:

On a serious note, the longest I've had mine out is 5 hours & I had no complaints.
Then again, I'm not getting any younger either. I think I could pull off 12 hrs in mine.

Thanks for that !!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:(won't ask for details)

Pounder 02-24-2017 01:16 PM

BTY will be 66 in June !! Also the trip is to be with the love of my life !!! (might be half asleep when I get there with a straight through ??

Bill Vett 02-24-2017 01:25 PM

It's not body fatigue but rather mental fatigue. If it were me I'd divide the trip into 7 hours the first day and the remainder the second. Driving straight through is great but the second day you will loose because of the stress from the non stop driving.

66dts-v 02-24-2017 01:26 PM

I have gone from mom's house to mine (800ish miles) at least 3 times straight through without issues. I won't mention my travel time. :willy:

Pounder 02-24-2017 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Vett (Post 1594165938)
It's not body fatigue but rather mental fatigue. If it were me I'd divide the trip into 7 hours the first day and the remainder the second. Driving straight through is great but the second day you will loose because of the stress from the non stop driving.

that is my line of thinking as well !!!

Pounder 02-24-2017 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 66dts-v (Post 1594165940)
I have gone from mom's house to mine (800ish miles) at least 3 times straight through without issues. I won't mention my travel time. :willy:

Corvette time has to be less !!! :toetap::toetap::toetap::woohoo::woohoo:

Black 02 02-24-2017 01:38 PM

Did around the same in a rented Hyundai. Can't say I would want to do it in a C5, but anything is possible. As far as thinking you're crazy, yes, yes I do :crazy:

Pounder 02-24-2017 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Black 02 (Post 1594166031)
Did around the same in a rented Hyundai. Can't say I would want to do it in a C5, but anything is possible. As far as thinking you're crazy, yes, yes I do :crazy:

so crazy can do anything, right ???

Mike98SilVert 02-24-2017 02:01 PM

I dove my '98 Corvette Convertible from Northern NJ to SW Florida (1,350 miles) in two days, switching off with my wife. We drove 12 hours the first day and 9 the next day. It rained for much of the first day. We had no issues with the seats, the C5 is very comforable. This was 14 years ago. It was a fun ride.

66dts-v 02-24-2017 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pounder (Post 1594166011)
Corvette time has to be less !!! :toetap::toetap::toetap::woohoo::woohoo:

Yes, the time it took in the Vette compared to the rental Chrysler 200 was not comparable. Although the time it took on my Yamaha R1 back when I was a little younger is still the record.

When time is not an issue, I prefer the scenic route along the coast vs I5 bombing. The C5 seats are not uncomfortable, just not sporty. I've never had an issue with comfort, just lack of lateral support when hard cornering.

Pounder 02-24-2017 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 66dts-v (Post 1594166319)
Yes, the time it took in the Vette compared to the rental Chrysler 200 was not comparable. Although the time it took on my Yamaha R1 back when I was a little younger is still the record.

When time is not an issue, I prefer the scenic route along the coast vs I5 bombing. The C5 seats are not uncomfortable, just not sporty. I've never had an issue with comfort, just lack of lateral support when hard cornering.

My Gal might be getting a ride somewhere halfway so we could do the remainder with each other !! :woohoo::woohoo:

JR-01 02-24-2017 02:39 PM

I drove around 700 miles straight through, twice. Take your wallet out of your back pocket and I bought a 1 inch thick memory foam pad to sit on. At 63 years old I survived just fine.
Did 400 miles non stop(except for gas) across South Dakota at around 90 mph. It was 105 degrees out. Thank God the AC worked. The C5 is a great touring car.

coia96vette 02-24-2017 02:41 PM

A few years back I drove 16.5 hrs straight to get back home in time for work in my '04. Only stopped for gas, food and pee breaks. I was 59 at the time and had no problem at all.

DDaaryl 02-24-2017 02:55 PM

I do longer trips twice a year from Florida to Vermont but never in my vert. Might have tried it in my younger days but most of the other vehicles I own are way more comfortable.

GRAND SPORT GUY 02-24-2017 03:35 PM

Pounder, you can easily do 1,000 in a Corvette. I have done it many times on BMW and Harley Motorcycles, my various other cars, and this past September I drove 1,000 straight through to Estes Park, CO, from Tinley Park, IL (Just outside Chicago) in my 1982 CE.

14 hours is about right. I worked many, many 16 hour shifts at the Police Department, so driving long hours is no biggie to me.

What I do when we go to Estes Park, is back my sleep up 1 hour a night until I am getting up at 8:00 pm on a Saturday night Chicago time. I take an ice cold shower, drink a couple Diet Mountain Dews, and hit the road.

As you get deeper into Saturday night, there is no traffic, no construction, and no State Troopers. There have been a few times when we've gone out there in September or October where I did not see another car on I-80 for 15-20 minutes in either direction. I kind of get in "THE ZONE", and most often don't even listen to music.

On this last trip in September, my Wife flew to Denver, and took the shuttle to the hotel in Estes. (I do not require her to spend 14 hours in a Corvette with me!) She checked into our room, and when I arrived after 14 hours on the road, she was sitting on the deck outside our room, with two bottles of wine, two glasses, a Gatorade for me, and food from the Mexican take-out place..... What a Babe!

I am buying a C-5 next week, and we plan on taking that to Niagara Falls in May (about 540 miles one-way), from there to Charleston, WV, and then to Ohio to visit my Wife's brother. Then, the same car to Maine in September (about 1,300 miles one-way to our first stop. I am not sure I will do that straight-through, though!)

I am 62 years young, and as far as losing a day, you really don't because you are not wasting a night in a hotel. When I drive straight through to Estes, I am generally in bed and dead asleep the first night I get there and sleep 12-13 hours. I don't feel any fatigue after waking up that first full day after the drive.

Good luck on your "Iron Butt", you will easily do the miles!

-Here are a couple photos from that last trip, both up on Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...ept%202016.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...0%20X%2020.jpg

Pounder 02-24-2017 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=Shark 82' CE;1594166802]Pounder, you can easily do 1,000 in a Corvette. I have done it many times on BMW and Harley Motorcycles, my various other cars, and this past September I drove 1,000 straight through to Estes Park, CO, from Tinley Park, IL (Just outside Chicago) in my 1982 CE.

14 hours is about right. I worked many, many 16 hour shifts at the Police Department, so driving long hours is no biggie to me.

What I do when we go to Estes Park, is back my sleep up 1 hour a night until I am getting up at 8:00 pm on a Saturday night Chicago time. I take an ice cold shower, drink a couple Diet Mountain Dews, and hit the road.

As you get deeper into Saturday night, there is no traffic, no construction, and no State Troopers. There have been a few times when we go out there in September or October where I have not seen another car on I-80 for 15-20 minutes in either direction. I kind of get in "THE ZONE", and most often don't even listen to music.

On this last trip in September, my Wife flew to Denver, and took the shuttle to the hotel in Estes. (I do not require her to spend 14 hours in a Corvette with me!) She checked into our room, and when I arrived after 14 hours on the road, she was sitting on the deck outside our room, with two bottles of wine, two glasses, a Gatorade for me, and food from the Mexican take-out place..... What a Babe!

I am buying a C-5 next week, and we plan on taking that to Niagara Falls in May (about 540 miles one-way), from there to Charleston, WV, and then to Ohio to visit my Wife's brother, Then, the same car to Maine in September (about 1,300 miles one-way to our first stop. I am not sure I will do that straight-through, though!)

Good luck on your "Iron Butt", you will easily do the miles!

Sweet !!! great looking Vette !!!! Thanks !!!!