CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Revving before you shut it down... Why? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/415036-revving-before-you-shut-it-down-why.html)

Cookwithvette 10-19-2002 09:29 PM

Revving before you shut it down... Why?

This is kind of funny. My mother asked me that the other day and I couldn't come up with an answer. I didn't even realize I did it. I know my dad does/did it with his Chevelle and I know a lot of hot rodders do it. I guess I just picked up the habit.

Is there any point to this other than enjoying the sound it makes?

Cali,68,L-79 10-19-2002 09:37 PM

Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (Cookwithvette)

Becuase it sounds so cool. :cool: :cool:

Dalannex 10-19-2002 09:46 PM

Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (Cali,77,L-82)

Just for jollies and kicks. :D :D :D :lol: I do that too, guess I never thought about it though, until now. I'm gonna keep on doing it anyway. :smash:

lbell101 10-19-2002 09:56 PM

LOL - I do the same damn thing. I have no clue why!

pws69 10-19-2002 10:08 PM

I believe it's one of the worst things you can do to an engine. When you rev it up, you are sending much more fuel into the cylinders which washes the oil off the cylinder walls. When you rev up and shut off, the cylinder walls have little or no lubricant on them when you start up the next time - can't be a wonderful thing. I let it idle 10-15 seconds, then shut it off.

page62 10-19-2002 10:30 PM

Here's one for ya...

I fly model airplanes, which use glow fuel -- a mixture of ethanol (or is it methanol...alcohol!), nitromethane (10-15%) and lubrication oil (16-20%). At the end of the day, we'll remove the fuel line, open the throttle, connect the glow plug driver, and take the starter to it to run the engine "dry."

The reason for this is because the alcohol is hygroscopic. That is, it absorbs water like crazy. This leads to rusted bearings and general corrosion inside the engine.

So if you want a lame excuse for why you rev your engine, tell folks you're running the fuel out of it! :D

Titanium Rat 10-19-2002 10:55 PM

Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (page62)

now that you mention it , i have always done it too

gdh 10-19-2002 11:31 PM

Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (Titanium Rat)

I always thought it was meant to let the neighbourhood know that you were home, just in case they couldn't hear you coming down the street in 1st. :lol:

Cali,68,L-79 10-19-2002 11:35 PM

Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (gdh)

I always thought it was meant to let the neighbourhood know that you were home, just in case they couldn't hear you coming down the street in 1st. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Especially at 1:00 in the morning. :lol: :lol:

mrvette 10-19-2002 11:41 PM

Cook, there is only one reason ever to do that, if the choke if misadjusted and or the engine is still cool, but warm enough to 'run on' due to open throttle on high idle,....goosing it will cause the choke flapper to pull open momentarily, while then snapping the throttle blades closed will bypass the high idle cam really quickly....close completely..., otherwise the engine MAY 'diesel' or 'run on' due to open throttle position....

GENE

sharkthehunter77 10-19-2002 11:42 PM

I sometimes do it if i know someone is nearby. And yes, it is done to let people know that your personal version of Americas true sportcar has returned to her place of birth. I rev her, let her idle to let the mere mortal ponder the mighty V8, and then let her sleep. (Untill when next she awakens to terrorize again)

Cali,68,L-79 10-20-2002 12:13 AM

Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (sharkthehunter77)

God I love you guys! If I go onto the KILL section and said something like that they'd say "Yeah your loud, old, slow, antiquated V-8 etc. etc. quite inflamitory stuff. I got flamed there, and I'd like to think I'm a bigger man for not responding (actually a c4 owner) so I don't go back.

Vetterodder 10-20-2002 12:40 AM

In most cases it's just because our engines sound so damn good but there are cases where it actually serves a purpose. Engines with radical cams may load up at low rpm, like while parking or in stop and go driving. Raising the rpms for a moment before shutting down can help clear the plugs. As already mentioned though, a quick stab of the pedal without letting it stay at a higher rpm long enough may result in more raw fuel left in the cylinders than just shutting it off.

MotorHead 10-20-2002 01:50 AM

Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (Cali,77,L-82)

God I love you guys! If I go onto the KILL section and said something like that they'd say "Yeah your loud, old, slow, antiquated V-8 etc. etc. quite inflamitory stuff. I got flamed there, and I'd like to think I'm a bigger man for not responding (actually a c4 owner) so I don't go back.
Ask one of them if they would care to have their doors blown off by an old, slow antiquated V-8 :D

Cookwithvette 10-20-2002 08:02 AM

Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (MotorHead)

Thanks guys, these are great responses. :cheers:

It's really funny how we can pick up habits and not even know it.

You guys brought up something I had been thinking about before hand. The way my dad would shut an engine down would be to rev it a couple of times but shut it down before it had reached idle again ~3000rpm. I always thought this was a rather nasty thing to do to a carbureted engine. It's just going to spread fuel everywhere from the cylinders to the exhaust. I had always revved it a couple times and then let her rest for a bit before shutting down.

I hadn't thought about the choke or cam things. Thanks guys!

'79ProwlerOrange 10-20-2002 08:32 AM

i think revving right when you start it is whats bad for it. i do it to let my dogs know im home :)

Disco_Mike 10-20-2002 08:58 AM

Years ago I had a friend with a turbo charged ricer. You know how they can be real finicky. He said he let his engine idle for 30 seconds or so before shuting the motor off. This is to allow all pressures /temperatures to equilibriate. I dont have a turbo, but the logic seems reasonable. I do this with all my vehicles.

OkeeGuy 10-20-2002 09:04 AM

Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (pws69)

I believe it's one of the worst things you can do to an engine. When you rev it up, you are sending much more fuel into the cylinders which washes the oil off the cylinder walls. When you rev up and shut off, the cylinder walls have little or no lubricant on them when you start up the next time - can't be a wonderful thing. I let it idle 10-15 seconds, then shut it off.
i love to do it too but the above quote is why after goosing it i always let it idle for a bit before shutting her down :)

Frank75 10-20-2002 10:06 AM

Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (SIGNGUY)

I always thought it was a carryover from the "good ol' days" when cars had generators and revving it then shutting off the ignition let it charge the battery a bit without sapping any juice from it.

It didn't make much sense then either.

Bullyj 10-20-2002 10:37 AM

Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (Frank75)

I never realised I did it until reading the post. I do remember Dad doing it on his 55 Chevys.