CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Where can I buy a keyless entry remote? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/422802-where-can-i-buy-a-keyless-entry-remote.html)

Z-Dreaming 10-30-2002 01:51 PM

Where can I buy a keyless entry remote?

The previous owner claims to have lost his. My 95 Conv Vette supposedly has the system in it stock, but it doesn't do much good without a transmitter.

I called the local dealer, and if I want to be raped, they have them. I'm hoping other vette owners here will have a place I can pick one up at a reasonable price?

THANKS

Mikez40 10-30-2002 03:24 PM

Re: Where can I buy a keyless entry remote? (Z-Dreaming)

I have seen a lot of them for sale on ebay.

Z-Dreaming 10-30-2002 04:01 PM

Re: Where can I buy a keyless entry remote? (Mikez40)

Yes, thanks. That is the first place I thought of as well, but even the ebay prices are ridicules. It seems that the 97 and up remotes are reasonable, but the 93-96's are going for around $100.00. For that type of cash, and can buy an entire aftermarket alarm, plus get several remotes with keyless entry to boot.

I'm just hoping that there is a resource for used remotes that are more reasonably priced.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

stinger95 10-30-2002 05:02 PM

Go to www.gmpartsdirect.com Last year I bought 2 from them. About $80-$85. Brand new. They weren't listed on thier site. But email them and the should hook you up. I'd stay away from ebay on this one!

sraft 10-30-2002 05:03 PM

here's a recent thread where this was discussed.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=419804

The part # for the convertible is 10282930. It'll cost you ~$98 delivered, but at least you're getting a new one for your money - better deal than ebay IMHO.

Steve

PS Stinger95, you beat me by a minute. gmpartsdirect tacks on a large amount tor shipping/handling, but it's still cheaper than just about anywhere else.

[Modified by sraft, 4:05 PM 10/30/2002]

Z-Dreaming 10-31-2002 12:11 AM

Re: Where can I buy a keyless entry remote? (sraft)

Thanks for the link and the suggestions. I'll wait till something more reasonably priced comes along, or I'll just get aftermarket keyless with an alarm.

The thing that doesn't make sense is the 97 and above are selling for $20.00 is some cases. Why on earth are the C4's so expensive. I could understand it if the parts were 20-30 years old and hard to find.

I actually spoke to a corvette place that has thrown away remotes because they thought used ones couldn't be programmed to another car. needless to say, I left my name and number if the come across any more throwaway's. :)

turbota 10-31-2002 08:55 AM

I think the reason they are so expensive is because its a two way transmitter. Passive Keyless entry is what GM calls it. When you walk near the car it unlocks itself without pushing any buttons.
I'm pretty sure that has something to do with it. GM got rid of this in 97

Black94LT1 10-31-2002 09:43 AM

If you are worried about $100 for a PKE remote, you better sell the car now, as these babies are not cheap. Some people call it the "corvette tax" but whatever it is, parts are expensive.

The factory PKE system is great, as you never have to push a button, just walk up to the car or away from it and it will unlock/lock. My the GM transmitter and you won't be sorry.

1Patriot 10-31-2002 09:48 AM

Re: Where can I buy a keyless entry remote? (Black94LT1)

I got a new one off of Ebay a year ago for 48 dollars and that included the shipping.

You might also call Jeff Kopp and see what his price would be.
(800) 728-8267

Topless94 10-31-2002 10:02 AM

Re: Where can I buy a keyless entry remote? (1Patriot)

They don't really get cheaper till 2001's The Pasive entry is why they cost so much and no the new ones won't work on your car. The price you pay for convenience you can always use your key. :( I know I just bought another one myself and there is a difference between coupe and Convertable on them.
:seeya

Z-Dreaming 10-31-2002 10:14 AM

I knew going in that parts could be expensive, but this remote cost is absurd. Also, being a new corvette owner, I'm trying to get my feet wet without drowning. An example is my convertible top. I started a thread here inquiring about the costs. I went from tops that run $900.00 with a one year warrantee, to a top that runs $350.00 with a five year warrantee. Install prices from the "cheapest" shops around $400.00, to a reputable shop that will do it for $150.00. So the bottom line is to ask, and shop around.

Since I can drive my baby without the keyless, I'm in no rush. When the right deal comes along, I'll jump on it. If anyone knows where the best deal is, just post it here or email me.

THANKS

PS, I contacted Jeff, and he has them for $94.00, but I think I'll wait and try to find a better deal.

HOWSER 10-31-2002 10:33 AM

How could I tell if my car came with this feature, is there a RPO code I could look up?

Thank you,

Eric

[Modified by HOWSER, 8:34 AM 10/31/2002]

RadPolo96 10-31-2002 10:43 AM

Re: Where can I buy a keyless entry remote? (stinger95)

Go to www.gmpartsdirect.com Last year I bought 2 from them. About $80-$85. Brand new. They weren't listed on thier site. But email them and the should hook you up. I'd stay away from ebay on this one!
Thats where I bought mine... here is the part # 10282929
:cheers: :seeya

Z-Dreaming 10-31-2002 10:50 AM

Re: Where can I buy a keyless entry remote? (HOWSER)

My understanding is that all 93-96 models came standard with keyless entry. (The following suggestion is from a new owner :) )One way you can check is to turn your ignition key to the on position without starting the car. Then push the TRIP ODO button twice. Within 5 seconds press and hold the FUEL INFO button until the passive keyless entry light come on in your driver instrument center. If it does, you have keyless entry. Then all you have to do is find the remote like I'm trying to do.

HOWSER 10-31-2002 12:28 PM

:D
Thank you!

aj1988 10-31-2002 04:31 PM

quote:

If you are worried about $100 for a PKE remote, you better sell the car now, as these babies are not cheap. Some people call it the "corvette tax" but whatever it is, parts are expensive.

________________________________________ ___________________

I am not new to Corvette ownership, having owned one since 1967, but I am suprised by the expense for C4 parts. You can do the entire interior of a c3 for less than the cost of the seat covers for a C4. It just seems to me that we are being ripped off by just about every parts supplier from GM on down. That doesn't mean I want to get rid of my car, just that I don't think the prices are in line with other years.

Red Dwarf 11-01-2002 10:58 AM

Re: Where can I buy a keyless entry remote? (aj1988)

RPO is AUO for PKE.

bhamvett 11-01-2002 11:22 AM

Re: Where can I buy a keyless entry remote? (lou sylvestri)

It is 85.20 on gmpartsdirect.com.
bhamvett

Z-Dreaming 11-01-2002 12:56 PM

Re: Where can I buy a keyless entry remote? (aj1988)

I agree.

I went to a corvette restoration place in search of a few things, and when I protested about the high cost of the remote, he said the following. "Well you bought a corvette, not a chevette". Like I said before, I expect certain things on a vette to cost more than standard cars, but a remote for a stock alarm isn't one of them.

It surprises me that some people actually seem to take pride in the fact their vette parts cost more. I'm wondering if I join a local vette club if people will be standing around bragging that they paid more for their water pump the next guy? ;)

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES