CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   What Opti Sparc to buy? Anyone heard of Cardone (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/469564-what-opti-sparc-to-buy-anyone-heard-of-cardone.html)

jimijoe 01-10-2003 08:15 PM

What Opti Sparc to buy? Anyone heard of Cardone

I'm gona have to replace my Opti Sparc. I'm a bit confused on which one to buy. Here are my choices.

1) Local GM dealer; Cost $642

2) GMdirect.com; Cost $385

3) Rebuilt (rebuilt by Cardone) $145

I am currently out of work so money is an issue, on the other hand I dont want to put a POS in there that's gona fail again in a year or two.

What would you guys do.

Has anybody heard of and or used CORDONE parts? http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Cardone/...html?58472.jpg

thanks

DRAGRCR1005 01-10-2003 08:29 PM

Re: What Opti Sparc to buy? Anyone heard of Cardone (jimijoe)

if i am not mistaken, you are talking about A-1 Cardone. i have not had much luck with their products in the past. i have not ever purchased a distributor from them but i have purchased blower motors and brake calipers and things like that. i am a mechanic at a commercial vehicle repair facility and the owner of the shop told me that i was not to install their stuff any more and to only buy delco. i can imagine that they only put a cap and rotor inside the unit and checked for the opti eye to function and boxed it and called it rebuilt. if i was doing the job i would not risk it. it is it worth it to have do it again for about $240? YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! :flag

flyersfan1088 01-11-2003 06:08 PM

Re: What Opti Sparc to buy? Anyone heard of Cardone (DRAGRCR1005)

if i am not mistaken, you are talking about A-1 Cardone. i have not had much luck with their products in the past. i have not ever purchased a distributor from them but i have purchased blower motors and brake calipers and things like that. i am a mechanic at a commercial vehicle repair facility and the owner of the shop told me that i was not to install their stuff any more and to only buy delco. i can imagine that they only put a cap and rotor inside the unit and checked for the opti eye to function and boxed it and called it rebuilt. if i was doing the job i would not risk it. it is it worth it to have do it again for about $240? YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! :flag
:iagree:

I've had nothing but problems from A-1. I know money is tight, but I would seriously consider going with Delco.

bogus 01-11-2003 09:00 PM

Re: What Opti Sparc to buy? Anyone heard of Cardone (flyersfan1088)

I would call Jeff Kopp at Superior Chevy... GM parts for cheap...

he is carfan18 around here... cuts great prices for forum members!!!

make sure you tell him your a forum member... and tell him I said hi!

superlund 01-11-2003 10:52 PM

Re: What Opti Sparc to buy? Anyone heard of Cardone (bogus)

Check this one out;
http://www.dynotech-eng.com/dynaspark.htm

:seeya

luvmy92 01-12-2003 08:33 AM

Re: What Opti Sparc to buy? Anyone heard of Cardone (bogus)

Call Jeff Kopp or get it at The Last Detail. Bothe are around $325 for a brand new AC Delco unit I believe...

Mike

wake 01-13-2003 12:48 AM

Re: What Opti Sparc to buy? Anyone heard of Cardone (flyersfan1088)

if i am not mistaken, you are talking about A-1 Cardone. i have not had much luck with their products in the past. i have not ever purchased a distributor from them but i have purchased blower motors and brake calipers and things like that. i am a mechanic at a commercial vehicle repair facility and the owner of the shop told me that i was not to install their stuff any more and to only buy delco. i can imagine that they only put a cap and rotor inside the unit and checked for the opti eye to function and boxed it and called it rebuilt. if i was doing the job i would not risk it. it is it worth it to have do it again for about $240? YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! :flag :iagree:

I've had nothing but problems from A-1. I know money is tight, but I would seriously consider going with Delco.
Another :iagree: here...

I used them when I was younger and the quality was way behind what I had with OEM replacements... Their cap and rotor kits on my older cars were always just a "little bit off"... They never went on without some type of modification (filing, tweaking, etc)... The caps were junk and never sealed correctly on the distributor base... I would hope they have better quality in something like an optispark, but I wouldnt' want to take the chance...

I'd get one new over rebuilt anyday... Who knows how long the optical sensor or bearings will last if they didn't fall out of spec on the rebuild...

It always cost me more in the long run, either time, money, aggravation, or all at the same time when I used non OEM parts...

93Polo 01-13-2003 09:26 AM

Re: What Opti Sparc to buy? Anyone heard of Cardone (luvmy92)

Call Jeff Kopp or get it at The Last Detail. Bothe are around $325 for a brand new AC Delco unit I believe...

Mike
:iagree: Always had great luck with The Last Detail :yesnod: 94 should have the updated opti. If not I would convert over to the new opti.

bogus 01-13-2003 09:46 AM

Re: What Opti Sparc to buy? Anyone heard of Cardone (93Polo)

Mike

:iagree: Always had great luck with The Last Detail :yesnod: 94 should have the updated opti. If not I would convert over to the new opti.
the 94 has the old style opti. it started in 95.

if you're serious about converting, that is not a cost effective plan... consider the new Dyno Tech Engineering piece... they are much better than stock, or at least seem to be, and are cheaper than converting.