CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Crane HI-6 or MSD 6A or Mallory HyFire (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/520029-crane-hi-6-or-msd-6a-or-mallory-hyfire.html)

Aaron76 03-22-2003 11:09 AM

Crane HI-6 or MSD 6A or Mallory HyFire

I was wondering which is a better system for a multi spark ignition system
as far as performance, durability, price and ease of instulation.
I am going to get one this summer but I can't make up my mind I am tring to ignore the bulk of the advertising which is MSD and get real information.
thanks in advance.

check this out and let me know what you think.

http://www.cranecams.com/whatsnew/hi6vsmsd.htm

[Modified by Aaron76, 8:27 AM 3/22/2003]

bigvette1 03-22-2003 11:44 AM

Re: Crane HI-6 or MSD 6A or Mallory HyFire (Aaron76)

I have run the Crane HI-6 boxes for years with no problems. The current promo gets you the HP coil with the box. Crane and MSD and Mallory are all about the same for installation ease. Both with will trigger off points or mag pickup. The current Crane does come with water tight connectors so they snap together making it modular. For the money with the coil the Crane box is buy at this time.

SanDiegoPaul 03-22-2003 11:46 AM

Re: Crane HI-6 or MSD 6A or Mallory HyFire (bigvette1)

And I have seen MSD units that are old, dirty and lots of miles on them. I doubt that reliability is an issue these days. I am interested to see if that Crane product is CA smog legal. MSD is. I feel that mod coming up this Summer.

[Modified by SanDiegoPaul, 8:51 AM 3/22/2003]

bence13_33 03-22-2003 04:55 PM

Aaron:
I'm in the market for an ignition box too. However the only reason I want one is for a rev limiter. I'm seriously considering the Crane HI6 ignition box. It's a digital discharge unit and has two built in rev limiters. The MSD 6AL is not a digital unit and you need to use special RPM modules (chips) to set your rev limit. With the Crane you don't need chips you just turn a dial. Just thought I would thow that at you.

The Dude 03-22-2003 05:08 PM

Talk about timing. :lol:

I just purchased an MSD 6A box within the past hour. Plan to install it this week. The wiring diagram looks fairly simple. The biggest challenge, I think, will be to find a suitable and convenient place to mount the box. I'm thinking either inside behind the passenger dash or in the engine compartment on the driver fender where the washer tank used to be. The tank bracket is still there and it might work. Gotta put the eyeballs on it.

bence13_33 03-22-2003 06:49 PM

Re: Crane HI-6 or MSD 6A or Mallory HyFire (The Dude)

The biggest challenge, I think, will be to find a suitable and convenient place to mount the box.
Be sure if you place it in the engine bay that it is placed somewhere where cool air can flow over it. Many MSD boxes have died out pre-maturely due to overheating. I will probably place my box on the inside at the passenger's feet.

jackson 03-22-2003 07:22 PM

Each of those are good choices. Most of the cup & busch & NCT teams run msd 6 boxes ... with a smattering of crane hi6. All the box makers give the teams deals ... so the teams' choices tell me something. BTW, I have an extra box for sale ... very nice used msd 6TN (nascar) box ... much the same as 6A or 6T except 6TN has output for optional rev limiter, weathertight 6-pin connector & is much beefier inside. Email me if interested.

63Banshee 03-23-2003 12:45 AM

I'd go with MSD (AL model). Crane isn't much different, but I wouldn't switch for them. I wouldn't put a Mallory system on my garden tractor.

I would say Jacob Electronics is a good choice, but they caused me to miss a Nostalgia drag race about 6 years ago (their fault, long story) and I haven't bought anything from them since.

Remember to insulate any ignition box you install from heat and external (relative to the box) electrical noise.

73 LS-4 03-23-2003 04:45 PM

I've had all 3 units, MSD, Crane, and Mallory. The only one I had problems with was with the MSD 6A which crapped out after about 3 years, did much better then my friends which lasted a lot less time. In my oppinion the MSD analog units are over priced, you can often get the competitors digital units for aproximately the same price with built in rev limiters rather then buying chips and they are at least as reliable if not more so. Nascar isn't allowed to run digital boxes (unless the rules have changed but you know how bad nascar is about letting anyone use state of the art technology), this is the reason why so many run MSD analog units since most other manufacturers are primarily in the digital market. I'm currently running a Mallory hyfire IVc in the 73, mostly for the reason that all my other ignition components are also Mallory and haven't had any problems. The Crane unit I had was very good and wouldn't hesitate to get another one if needed, it did very well with the nitrous system and nitrous RPM switches I ran with it. If I had to pick one, I had the Crane unit the longest and had no problems with it, not to say that any of these other units wouldn't serve you well, but my personal record has been best with the Crane, the Mallory has a few years to go to catch up but it may be just as reliable but only time will tell.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz

[Modified by 73 LS-4, 3:48 PM 3/23/2003]