CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   How to remove rusted exhaust manifold studs? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/541716-how-to-remove-rusted-exhaust-manifold-studs.html)

nada 04-19-2003 08:45 AM

How to remove rusted exhaust manifold studs?

I recently receive a matching numbers exhaust manifold in excellent shape. My thanks go out to Dabo for that, thanks David! However the studs are very rusty and need replaced. I have soaked the studs in WD40 for a couple of days now. I am paranoid about breaking the manifold trying to remove the studs. I'd appreciate any good recommendations ya'll might have.

Thanks, Rick in Tennessee

79VetteMike 04-19-2003 08:47 AM

Re: How to remove rusted exhaust manifold studs? (Rick Church)

If you have a torch you can heat them up. When they get hot, you can put a set of vice grips on them and slowly work them back and forth.

mfendley 04-19-2003 08:49 AM

I would use a penetrating oil instead of WD-40. Also heat the manifold, since it will expand more than the studs. I was able to pull all the studs out of my 77 this way.

Mike

PatsLs1vette 04-19-2003 09:07 AM

Re: How to remove rusted exhaust manifold studs? (mfendley)

yes the blue flame wrench(torch) will help

gmcclurg 04-19-2003 09:08 AM

Re: How to remove rusted exhaust manifold studs? (mfendley)

Rick,
I have found that PB Blaster or Kroll work better then WD-40

jetech 04-19-2003 09:23 AM

If you can't get them out and end up breaking them off then you can carefully drill down the center and through each stud with a small diameter drill bit. Then gradually step up the size of the bit untill you are just under the the diameter of the threads. Then you can hook and peel the end of the stud thread that is siezed towards the center of the hole. Next grab the thread end with needle nose pliers and start twisting, this will wind the remaining thread around the plier jaws. I was able to do this on all three studs on one of my manifolds after the studs broke off and easy-outs failed to work. It takes time but it does work, just keep the hole centered. :cheers: :smash: :smash:

stpman 04-19-2003 10:07 AM

Re: How to remove rusted exhaust manifold studs? (jetech)

Use heat and a good penitrating fluid like the others said, WD-40 doesn't work well as a rust buster. if you do break the stud weld a nut onto the stud and work it out that way.

Steve :steering:

shawn_cake 04-19-2003 01:50 PM

Look in Popular Mechanics for a penetrating oil called KROIL or SILI-KROIL.
I believe it is made in Tennessee. Your old crew chief would probably know about this stuff - they use it for cleaning collectives. This stuff really works.
http://www.kanolabs.com/

:steering: :cheers: :steering:

[Modified by shawn_cake, 1:21 PM 4/20/2003]

Big Fish 04-19-2003 07:14 PM

Silicroil and aerocroil is made by Kano Laboratories. Thought I had a bookmark for their web site but don't. Do a search for Kano and it should come right up. Got all of mine out by heating the snot out of the manifold. When it gets a dull red you are good to go, have at them with a vice grips. You won't get it done with a propane torch, need an oxy/acetylene. Good luck! :cheers:

Captain Morgan 04-19-2003 07:29 PM

Re: How to remove rusted exhaust manifold studs? (stpman)

Use heat and a good penitrating fluid like the others said, WD-40 doesn't work well as a rust buster. if you do break the stud weld a nut onto the stud and work it out that way.

Steve :steering:
:iagree: Another way, instead of welding a nut on, is to put two nuts on the stud and tighten them against each other. Then put the wrench on the nut closest to the manifold and back it out. WD-40 is not very good for loosening up stuff like that, you need a good penetrating oil/rust eater.