CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Who makes Wal Mart (SUPER TECH) motor oil? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/625470-who-makes-wal-mart-super-tech-motor-oil.html)

montie98 08-10-2003 10:25 PM

Who makes Wal Mart (SUPER TECH) motor oil?

My local Wal Mart is now doing oil changes alot cheeper than any quick lube but I am concerned about the quality of the Wal Mart oil. Maybe its a name brand in Wal Marts Quart, maybe not

Bill Curlee 08-11-2003 12:09 AM

Re: Who makes Wal Mart (SUPER TECH) motor oil? (montie98)

Thats an interesting question. I use it in my 87 Volvo (Daily Driver) and have been very happy with it. I also use their synthetic in my 97 F-150. The oil works fine. I think this oil thing is blown way out of porportion but I dont want to expierment on a LS-1 or LS-6 engine. All I run in the 98 and 02 ZO6 is mobile-1.

BC

Fatt Vette 08-11-2003 01:09 AM

I use Super Tech oil in a fleet of Ford Focuses and Dodge Caravans I frequently change. The vehicles belong to a medical lab, and the drivers are not particularly kind to these cars. They run the oil and filter 5k miles between changes. We have not seen an oil related problem yet. The price is unbeatable.

Matt

vetteseniorcit 08-11-2003 07:41 AM

I believe it is Quaker State.

LT4BUD 08-11-2003 08:05 AM

Don't know the answer to your question, but I have been getting my oil changed at Walmart & using Synthetic, usually Mobil 1. $30 is a great price.

I have taken the vette there and the quality of work & treatment of the car has been great!

87vette 08-11-2003 08:54 AM

I've used it before when a former roomate of mine who moved, left his box full of SUPER TECH in the garage. I have't had any problems.

mitchcole 08-11-2003 09:09 AM

Re: Who makes Wal Mart (87vette)

It doesn't go in the vette, but it does go in the honda and boat. The rating is the same as the Valvoline I had to compare it to. (Whatever the grading system is for oil)

It's less expensive than the Chevron oil at Costco.

30 wt for the boat and 5w30 for the honda; Vette=Mobil1 5w30

CMYC4GO 08-11-2003 10:18 AM

Re: Who makes Wal Mart (mitchcole)

Everything we own that has an engine, from the lawnmower, to the Vette, uses Wal Mart oil. With a little research, you will find that the store brand oils (there are dozens) are made/refined by the name brands, and are probably the very same oil in a different wrapper.

Jim85IROC 08-11-2003 11:31 AM

Re: Who makes Wal Mart (White85InOKC)

I used the wal mart oil in my v6 camaro from day one, and it almost never got oil changes as often as it should have. The car now has 170k miles on it, and still runs beautifully. I pounded the piss out of that car DAILY.

86Coupe 08-11-2003 11:46 AM

Re: Who makes Wal Mart (Jim85IROC)

My understanding is that Walmart Super Tech Synthetic is manufactured by the Quaker State plant in Shreveport LA. The lower cost is attributed to it being a combination of Group II and III highly-refined mineral oils that enable it to pass synthetic classification requirements. Sythetic oils such as Mobil-1 are Group IV synthetics, which means they contain the true PAO (polyalphaolefin - a synthetic hydrocarbon liquid) and are true synthethically produced oils. So, bottom line.... they may be called synthetics, but in top notch applications I would only stick to the true synthetics personally.

Wow, now my brain hurts

Fuzzy Dice 08-11-2003 12:23 PM

I've been taking my vette to Walmart for oil changes since I got her...they charge $27.99 for a Mobil 1 oil change...I do bring my own K & N performance gold filter...they subtract a whopping $1.92 for the Fram filter they don't install....the end result is about $35 for my oil change and lube including the $9.94 for my filter... :thumbs:

p.s. I do watch them like a hawk and make sure they fill the new filter with oil before installing it... :yesnod:

[Modified by Fuzzy Dice, 12:25 PM 8/11/2003]

Frizlefrak 08-11-2003 01:09 PM

Re: Who makes Wal Mart (Fuzzy Dice)

I am certain Wal-Mart would not put their name, and thus their reputation, on a substandard oil. I've had them change the oil in my F-150 numerous times in the 7 years I've had it with no ill effects.

86Coupe 08-11-2003 01:24 PM

Re: Who makes Wal Mart (Frizlefrak)

Frizlefrak,
It's not that it is substandard, it could very well be a high quality oil, but it is not a true synthetic, therefore it is not as expensive. Walmart does an excellent job with all of their products, and they kind of 'skim' the line on this one. With synthetic oils you do get what you pay for, and the quality of materials in the Walmart oil is very likely to be high quality, it is just not the same materials as in the high dollar synthetics.

Cooter 08-11-2003 09:13 PM

Super Tech is good oil. Check the virgin oil analysis at the bobistheoilguy website and see what they think about it. As far as the Wally World synthetic, what is different about what they are doing verses Castol's Syntech, which is synthetic only by their own definition? :steering:

Gar 08-11-2003 10:07 PM

Re: Who makes Wal Mart (Cooter)

:eek: No one but me touches my Ruby ;) Even the most expensive oil is cheap in relation to how much it will cost to rebuild her precious heart :rolleyes: Why take a chance on a product that MIGHT be as good. Ya get what ya pay for folks. Me I'll take the good stuff. :cheers: bobistheoilguy is a great source of info by the way. :steering:

[Modified by Gar, 10:09 PM 8/11/2003]

[Modified by Gar, 10:10 PM 8/11/2003]